Incoming NGD - Historic Makeover!

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I've lived with it for a while and gotten used to the neck. I don't see any need to modify it at this point. I gave the fretboard a good cleaning (it needed it), some oil and new strings. I think I'm at the point where I start moving my Vintage Haven and Montreux parts onto the guitar. I have the taper reamer for the Grover installation, I read a post by Roman that using the reamer will not crack your headstock, unlike a drill press. I will probably put that off for a while, my confidence level for that is low.

Can anyone with Grover installation experience share how it went?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hammer....went well...

But don't try it....it was a delicate tap, the kind of thing you do on aircraft engines.....

As far as the results, I can say that it adds mass to the headstock and neck, there aren't any negatives to it (except weight) which is negligible but detectable, therefore adding a different dimension to the way it plays and responds. Some guitars do well with them ...others may not benefit from the added weight/mass...

I went back and forth with the CC#7 from its factory grovers to klusons and finally vintage milk bottle grovers. that guitar needs the grovers.

IMHO a lightweight guitar doesn't need the Grover's, anything over the 9lbs mark ...but that's just my observation. And opinions will vary

Sct13

Reaction score
Its not hard, just make sure your straight going into the hole. You need to think about how you'll get the angle of the headstock to work on. Go slow, test fit as you do the first one. then mark your depth on the reamer with some masking tape to help reduce guess work on the next five...

Forget the hammer....

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't open the link, but I've done this on a few Historics. Also make sure you don't go all the way through. That way you can put Klusons back on without conversion bushings or other work. I used a Stew-Mac reamer and a hand held drill. You just need to be careful as a handheld will tend to want to let the reamer grab onto the wood and pull itself through. Vic's advice about the tape is good.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Added the Grovers, it was very easy. I've grown accustomed to the neck and think I'm going to hold off on any work on it. My Vintage Haven parts look great on it but I need a Dave Johnson pickguard!

Sct13

Reaction score
cool...

Need pics...:)

Latest Threads