Incoming NGD: Chris Cornell ES-335... Not the sig model.

Saiko

Reaction score
So the thread title is a bit misleading, but here goes!

I was hesitant to post this given the nature of the guitar but I have had the chance to verify some info so I wanted to go ahead and share.

I have always been a huge Soundgarden and Chris Cornell fan (my favorite singer) and was recently on the lookout for one of his signature ES-335 guitars. I have always wanted a 335 and unfortunately missed out when his signature model was originally released.

Fast forward to last week when I was given the opportunity to purchase this 1983 Gibson ES-335 that was owned by Chris Cornell before being given to his solo touring guitarist as a gift. He has recently decided to sell it and I had the opportunity to buy it.

I don't know how much info the seller wants out there so I'm not going to be posting personal pictures that were given to me or discussing the story behind the guitar but needless to say I am excited even though it is very bittersweet.

Here is a quick shot of the guitar, it will be arriving tomorrow along with a ton of pictures from me. As far as I can tell from the info provided it is an all original '83 except for the bridge pickup being replaced at some point.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Reaction score
holy smokes, congrats on the purchase. he's one of my top favorite
singers as well, so i can imagine what it means to have that !

Gar

Reaction score
Euphoria Morning is one of my all time favourite albums. Glad I got chance to see him live before he died. Can't wait to see and hear more about this one, congrats.

Saiko

Reaction score
So the guitar arrived today in my initial impression is that it instantly became my favorite guitar even without considering who owned it before.

I know the early 80s 335s are considered nice guitars but this one just blew me away. This is the first guitar I've ever pulled out of the case and it has been perfect without any adjustments except obviously tuning it up, which is particularly impressive considering it went from California to Virginia in the late summer.

It appears to be all original except maybe the bridge pickup. If anybody can help me with that, it will be the last picture. It has a much newer cover, which indicates a pickup replacement, but the bottom side of the pickup looks like a Gibson pickup from the same era. The neck pickup is definitely a Tim Shaw. I do not plan on pulling the pots to look at them unless I have to replace one due to wear. The neck tone is a little scratchy but I'm hoping I can clean it to remedy that.

As far as the tone, it is the sweetest sounding guitar I've played. It sounds exactly like what you would expect a 335 to sound like and I just can't stop playing it! The next day or two I will try to do a video. This is an excellent guitar by any measure and even more so considering its history with one of my favorite artists.

So without further delay, the pictures! please if anyone can check out the last picture and help me identify the bridge pickup. It was not advertised as being the original but I'm curious to know what it is. I almost wonder if the cover was merely replaced at some point although I'm not sure why that would be.

IMG_20180905_132852.jpg IMG_20180905_144248.jpg IMG_20180905_144330.jpg IMG_20180905_144359.jpg IMG_20180905_144352.jpg IMG_20180905_144302.jpg IMG_20180905_150622.jpg IMG_20180905_150902.jpg

Neffco

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Congrats on that piece of history. 335s are great but that is plain special.

Saiko

Reaction score
holy smokes, congrats on the purchase. he's one of my top favorite
singers as well, so i can imagine what it means to have that !
Yeah, it's kinda crazy. Definitely had a few tears as I started strumming on it.

Euphoria Morning is one of my all time favourite albums. Glad I got chance to see him live before he died. Can't wait to see and hear more about this one, congrats.
Mine too, one of the best albums ever from any artist or genre. From the info I have there is a good chance that this guitar is on that record somewhere. The guy who was selling this played on that album and the subsequent tour and Chris later gave him the guitar.

I managed to see Chris live quite a few times, both solo and with Soundgarden, and I cherish those memories.

That’s awesome! Congrats on that piece of history. 335s are great but that is plain special.
Thank you, it certainly is, it's going to be by my side for the rest of my days.

bum

Reaction score
Chris is a rare person to me, someone I consider an icon, I always have.
I was lucky enough to see Soundgarden pretty recently and wow, they were amazing.
You've got a real treasure there, and I know you'll look after it, to me this instrument is as important as it gets - congratulations on it.

mdubya

Reaction score
This didn't happen to come from Bubba DuPree, did it?

Probably not, but just wondering.

MooCheng

Reaction score
what a fantastic find,
a quick google search shows Chris with that very guitar. Theres also pic's of what appears to be the same guitar fitted with a Bigsby. Just wondering (looking at the shadow below the tail piece) if it shows any signs of a bigsby ever been fitted. The two, with and without certainly look the same.

Remember Chris passing, he had everything going for him except his demons proved to much for him. Very sad

Saiko

Reaction score
what a fantastic find,
a quick google search shows Chris with that very guitar. Theres also pic's of what appears to be the same guitar fitted with a Bigsby. Just wondering (looking at the shadow below the tail piece) if it shows any signs of a bigsby ever been fitted. The two, with and without certainly look the same.

Remember Chris passing, he had everything going for him except his demons proved to much for him. Very sad
The Bigsby one would have probably been one of his signature models, this one never had a Bigsby nor did any of his ES-335s (that i know of) prior to the signature model. He had quite a few ES-335s in his collection though, even before Gibson did the signature models, so it's hard to determine which is which at times.

Gar

Reaction score
Looks great. You may have better luck posting in the pick up section of the forum regarding the identity of the pick up. Enjoy!

Saiko

Reaction score
Looks great. You may have better luck posting in the pick up section of the forum regarding the identity of the pick up. Enjoy!
Yeah, I posted there about it. The experts there were very informative and basically told me I had to pop the cover. When I did it was easily indentified as a T-Top. Sounds great but I just had to know, haha.

Reactions: Gar