Incoming: Blonde Seventy Seven Exrubato

currypowder

Reaction score
Thanks to @Roxy13 and @Homeras for the heads up on a cool, blonde Seventy Seven Exrubato Custom that popped up for sale today. It wasn't listed this morning (my guitar searching time), so it was nice of both of them to remember that I've been searching for a blonde 335-ish semi hollow and give me a heads up. Since the store also listed it on Rakuten in addition to digimart, I was able to snag it pretty quickly through FromJapan. The neck specs I've seen on other Seventy Sevens and the one I have are a bit bigger than the typical MIJ 335, so I'm hoping this one does it for me.

47bb20f0b8019b87d9a561a4a7e2e8e2a32aca.jpg

Last edited:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
That looks pretty sweet. I seem to remember doing a magnet swap with mine and it was great. But maybe the custom 335s are different pickups to start out with?

Vicar

Reaction score
Very nice looking instrument.
What are the default pickups like?

zeneffect

Reaction score
Really getting annoyed with how the sellers like to blow out the whites in the photos. I bet this guitar looks even more killer in person.

Please, new pics when it arrives :)

currypowder

Reaction score
Less than 96 hours from when I hit the order button to delivery. Has to be a new world record. The neck is as fat as I hoped it would be. Simply a gorgeous guitar that ploys very nice out of the box.

y4mrvy5NPG5bV_0emm3h8TWaV5LyfLoxsMzKtuEGIZA-0KS522efJZc1Uv6KFo7aXv3Wv4W1MXsv6e1anFE9VsGPpxc4S3z87rMSIiv0STXrBHcEFKGOZRyQxN_3Jer56-0SBusWt4GRsCPakkw4eJPbaSMaSb_m0kobwsgg5v2tS1yhDLlbSRdmcemY6eFkiKO

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
They do say gentlemen prefer blondes.

Lovely subtle flame and mineral streaking.

Big Congrats

currypowder

Reaction score
Out of curiosity;

- what pots/caps/switch did this ship with? Assuming of course they were factory stocks?
- you did mention 'fat', but as this can be subjective.. if you're in a position to say, how's the neck compared to Momose/Tokai 'ES' types?
- any possibility for that 5-piece neck closeup? One pic showcasing joint and downwards would be enough. And much appreciated!
- and how do you find the stock pickups compared to 'x' well known type/brand? Anything to give us some idea of how they sound like really.

* you folks tend to buy a lot, often and used, so different criteria obviously :)
But for me (going brand new only), i look at its price and then i look at the equivalent Momose pricing; a measly 486euros more for the Momose. Then i look at the specs, see i get honduran and madagascar for said 486 euros more and it kind of ends there for me.
Again, different criteria -and circumstances- of course.

I am however curious, the more you know and all that.
And my sincere apologies for all the questions. Brand after brand gets mentioned or showcased, but the devil's in the details and all that, lol

I'm happy to answer your questions. Part of the reason I buy so many guitars from Japan is to learn about them. Some I keep, and some get released into the wild. This one seems to be one I'll keep for quite a while.

I am pretty sure that everything is original, but have no idea what the pots/caps/switch are. I tried to see what they were with a dental mirror, but couldn't get a good view.

Here are the neck specs, which I consider fat:

Width - 43.6mm/1.71" at the nut, 52.9mm/2.08" at the 12th fret
Depth - 23.5mm/.92" at the nut, 25mm/.98" at the 12th fret

Those neck measurements are very close to my favorite single cuts, maybe a hair thinner. Also similar to my '81 Tokai ES-150, maybe a hair fatter. The necks that I've experienced on more modern Tokai ES's have been smaller, especially the nut width which all seem to be around 41mm. I have no experience with Momose ES's.

See pics of the neck below.

I believe I read somewhere the stock pickups, Seventy Seven AL255, are low output Alnico 3. I have only played this guitar clean, but I will say that the pickups are very clear and warm. It'll be interesting to hear how they sound pushed and also if the body vibrates the way I've come to love with a 335 size semi-hollow.

It's important to note that what drew me to this guitar was my search for a blonde MIJ dot 335 with a bigger neck than I had experienced with the few modern Tokais that I owned for awhile. And while Tokai seems to make plenty of blondies, I could not find a Momose or Crews in blonde. Had I been able to, I would have probably gone in that direction. Plenty of cherry and bursts, but no blondes. And I already have an 81 ES-150 that is perfect, but that one is a cherry finish.

This one checks most of the boxes. And while I would prefer the understated beauty of a dot neck, the ebony/multi bound fretboard is definitely growing on me, especially since it's so easy to play. And, as a bonus, it's pretty lightweight at 7.8 pounds.

I'm not sure what effect the maple neck has on the tone, but so far I can't say there's anything about it that stands out.

y4mxxxuffkZbDoaRCffiN2reOLiyIE2Fe55yRtuxko_h7Csr24RODSrmMzGDy67a53RPlenqFwIIrv1EMBSGXDmwlp9i9Li28FdeNr1w-xVzZ0eTnc6pOMdBqlqwrFpEFmILvW8qpJUnkxFJLId3aIgNw9i4CySDKFJcyjCml330dNd0SRQj8tg9ZCOxK0Ymau0

y4mFvnHX3t0qNe5RKQNxF9yQI7xhXZ4g5trctNpTuXoQIMwvFZBZHQNXQb_kjApc5WpfX2NfYrZmd-MyCjL5kKZe3MzZp5_1sQEiDcdWe8GKS8zHoe8D2HCzIqBGxxESsNMxaqF4s0_VYIXz79dNi3Y_-m_4fQz-F4kZARrqGoiYwhCFnq2LgfAkXGTHaIO_U7x

Roxy13

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get a good look at the pots and caps on my Exrubato custom either so I'm going to have to pull them out. I don't want to do that yet as I'm still on the fence on the pickups. Yes, they sound wonderful clean but I'm undecided yet on how I feel with some dirt thrown at them. With my broken finger I just can't play well enough right now to be making any decisions yet on them. When I'm back to playing normally then it will be time to give them a good run and evaluation.

I should add the specs on mine, according to the seller, are pickups with alnico 2s, not 3s. So maybe my pickups are not the same as Mr. Curry's.

Reactions: E.X

currypowder

Reaction score
I should add the specs on mine, according to the seller, are pickups with alnico 2s, not 3s. So maybe my pickups are not the same as Mr. Curry's.

No, it looks like I misspoke in my last post. I looked back at my notes and I believe they are Alnico 2s, not 3s.

currypowder

Reaction score
@currypowder wow, that took some effort! Sincerely appreciate your taking the time man :)

P.S. Whether you keep the gold hardware or change it (i believe you mentioned it somewhere?), change the stock Gotoh tuners for some Schaller M6 toplocking ones. Tried a lot on my guitar, it originally had the exact same as yours, 18:1 SG301 Gotohs.
By far the biggest difference was with these specific Schallers, i swear it sustains better and call me crazy all day long if you like. I'd still say it. Just thought i'd mention it since i saw them here, maybe save someone else the money. The top locking practicality's the cherry on top, very easy to manage with those thumbwheels.
P.P.S. Neglected to mention, as someone could -understandably- wonder about this; i know my tools. Even so, i use a torque tool(?) (some words i only know in Greek, lol) for comparisons. So it was apples to apples and all that.

Thanks for the tuner suggestion. I have some Gotoh non locking 510s on my History AH-LC and love them. The gold is growing on me, so I'll probably keep it that way, at least for the time being.

Latest Threads