Incoming....78 Les Paul Custom

wallyguitar

Reaction score
Killer Guitar! That's like time capsule condition! I have the same year/color but mine is battle scarred!

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Story on the refret is original owner did not like the low "fretless wonder" frets so he had it refretted.
There were no fretless wonder type frets on 78 Customs. These definitely disappeared in early 1975. Frets on 78 Customs were much wider than original fretless wonder frets.

Eternal Scar

Reaction score
I thought the same thing but that's the story I got from him on the Refret.It baffles me on the refret because the guitar is in such mint condition I'm sure it didn't need to have them done but it is what it is it plays fantastic.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I believe the frets were probably low and wide and many people don't like them and replaced them with higher frets. My 79 Explorer had the low ones, I bet these frets were the same originally.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Holy crap, thats a real stunner you got there ! Congratulations !
Certainly one of the most mint looking customs from that age I have seen, wow.
Love the burst as well, beautiful.

A custom does just have that special something, doesn't it ?

JM2112

Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

My last LPC was just over a year ago, and like yours was a '78 and in fantastic condition and very clean. It's getting harder to find them in such great condition and at a good price.

Enjoy that awesome LPC!

Eternal Scar

Reaction score
The more I play this LPC the more I want to play it! I need more Norlin's!

Gibsonguy57

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this mint 78 LPC.I have been looking for a long time for one as clean as this one and the wait was worth it.Cool footnote for me it was built on my wife's birthday.Now the hard part...the wait!! Here are a few of the seller's pic more to follow when it's in my hands.

Gorgeous shape and burst!!

scozz

Reaction score
Story on the refret is original owner did not like the low "fretless wonder" frets so he had it refretted.
I can understand that, those frets can be difficult.

Although there's a misconception about the "fretless wonder" frets. I was around and playing Les Pauls back in those days. Fretless Wonder Customs were only made for a few years, early to mid 70s as I remember it. By the late 70s the frets on Customs were low and wide but NOT the Fretless Wonder frets. Fretless Wonder frets are very, very low and very skinny. The frets used later in the 70s, (that are often confused with Fretless Wonder frets), were low and WIDE jumbo frets, but nowhere near as low.... and much, much wider than FW frets.

Bending notes on the late 70s LPs can be a chore....but full step or more bending on FW frets is nearly impossible. This Custom most likely did NOT have FW frets, more likely the low, wide jumbo ftets that Gibson continued to use into the early and mid to late 80s.

Latest Threads