In search of a new amp!

TennesseeJed

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in search of a tube amp for at home practice. I currently have an Orange Crush 20rt and feel let down by it. I mostly enjoy playing Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, and Eric Clapton/Cream songs. I want an amp that gives a good classic rock crunch. Ideally I would like to spend around $300 but I can go to $500. I've been intrigued with the Orange Micro Terror/Micro Dark because they seem very reasonable and I could pair it with a larger cab to jam. Any thoughts on those or other amps is greatly appreciated.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall Class 5. 5 watt non master volume. Just make sure to get the last version they made which has the "low power switch" on the back which will take you down to .10 of a watt.

Classic rock all day long

The micro terror is cool as all get out, but it's a hybrid with a tube preamp and solid state power amp. If you're wanting all tube at home levels, Class 5 all day

You might also look at the Blackstar HT1 head or HT5 combo.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Could try one of these

Product Details for PID 611815

Same amp as the Laney Cub 12r, just unbranded version.

Reverb tank needs to have the foam spacer removed, and mounted direct to cab.

On sale now for all tube 12" Celestion 70/80 with spring reverb, 3 knob eq, master volume and 15 or <1 watt modes. On sale for $199

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvsd6-k4xk[/ame]

TennesseeJed

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I can't wait to try some of these out.

xland

Reaction score
Another option to look into is the 7W Fender Bassbreaker. I own the 15W and on the mid-gain setting it is great for classic rock crunch. I play the same music as you and it's perfect for it. It's all that I play through now.

I have to admit that I have not played the 7W version but it fits your price range. It's certainly worth checking out and trying if possible.

nutsauce

Reaction score
Another option to look into is the 7W Fender Bassbreaker. I own the 15W and on the mid-gain setting it is great for classic rock crunch. I play the same music as you and it's perfect for it. It's all that I play through now.

I have to admit that I have not played the 7W version but it fits your price range. It's certainly worth checking out and trying if possible.

YES!! Love this little amp. I have played the 007 a few times at my local shop and it will probably go home with me very soon. I have been trying to hold out for an SL5, which is another great choice if you can find one, but I have not had luck finding one for a good deal.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Just bought a new or15 for $500 look around man they are exactly what you are looking for

TennesseeJed

Reaction score
Just bought a new or15 for $500 look around man they are exactly what you are looking for

I'll definitely try one sometime in the next week. I'm just waiting to get my guitar back from a setup. I just have one question. I know it can be reduced to 7 watts but wouldn't that be really loud if I was trying to drive the tubes to get a good crunch? I guess I should have specified earlier that when I said practice at home, I meant an apartment with roommates.

cherrysunburst00

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely try one sometime in the next week. I'm just waiting to get my guitar back from a setup. I just have one question. I know it can be reduced to 7 watts but wouldn't that be really loud if I was trying to drive the tubes to get a good crunch? I guess I should have specified earlier that when I said practice at home, I meant an apartment with roommates.

I really dig the OR15. I'm now officially a convert.

That said, yes, 7 watts is still too loud if you want to really get tubes cooking. Even 1 watt would probably be too loud for an apartment with roommates.

1)I figured you were looking for driven tubes, that is why I suggested a Marshall Class 5 with the low power switch. Exactly what you are looking for (1/10 watt when low power is engaged).

2)The micro Terrors have tube pre amps, so you can get some nice tube sounds and at the volume you are looking at.

3)The OR 15 does sound pretty darn nice at low volumes and you can adjust the gain to taste. I have found that adding a Swart Mini Night Light attenuator (about $129) with fairly minimal attenuation allows me to crank up the volume some more in order to bring in more of the power tubes into the mix. And I can maintain my 90 db or so threshold.

If you live near a guitar center, go in and checking out the OR15 and the Micro Terrors if in stock. Finding a new OR 15 in your budget will be difficult. Satch and I are very lucky with our Orange dealer.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
If this is STRICTLY for home playing (bedroom volume), it's gonna be hard to beat a good modeler. Lots of that stuff was recorded on a Champ. You might start there.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Used Class 5 should do the trick. It can get loud for 5 watts.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Vox AC10 combo would get my vote for new under $500.
Sounds very good. Nice reverb too!!

Ruthie58

Reaction score
Vox makes a great sounding modeling amp with two effects options that sounds great at bedroom volume. Blackstar ID core series also sounds great at low volume. If ur in an apt with roomies I'd say go the micro SS modeling amp route.

notjoeaverage

Reaction score
Cybermgk is on the right track.

I have the Laney 12R Cub Head and I love it, all I play mostly is classic rock. I use 4 different cabs 3 2x12s and a 1x12 with a built in attenuator from Panama when you need to be quite but still want to push the valves some. The less than 1 watt is rated at 0.75W and is still loud when used with efficient speakers in a 2x12. I would never sell this amp.

TennesseeJed

Reaction score
So I poked around guitar center this weekend and tried a few amps. Here are my findings.

#1(A) The OR 15. I understand why Cherrysunburst is such a huge fan. I only played it at low volumes and could definitely get the crunchy/honky Jimmy Page tone I crave. Only problem is G.C. wants $700 for the head and that doesnt include a cab.

#1(B) Tiny Terror for the same reasons as the OR 15 but has no FX loop.

#2 Blackstar HT5. The store didn't have a 1 watter so I tried this bad boy. Very impressed but certainly want to try the 1 watter just because of the value.

#3 DSL 40. I had an ok experience with the DSL 40 I tried today. Definitely nailed The Darkness/80's tone but I couldn't nail a good low volume crunch. I definitely want to give a DSL 5 a chance before I write it off.

#4 007 Bassbreaker. It just didn't do it for me.

Unfortunately G.C. did not have a Micro Terror/Dark and I wanted to try those simply because of the potential bargain. With that said I enjoyed all of these amps thoroughly more than any SS or Modeler than I tried.. I also tried all these amps with an Epi Les Paul Standard other than my own. I would like to try them with my own guitar but its still being setup. Thank you so much for the suggestions. If you have any more suggestions I would appreciate it.

P.S. How long should it take to have a guitar setup? I dropped it off 2 weeks ago and it's still not done.

cherrysunburst00

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I poked around guitar center this weekend and tried a few amps. Here are my findings.

#1(A) The OR 15. I understand why Cherrysunburst is such a huge fan. I only played it at low volumes and could definitely get the crunchy/honky Jimmy Page tone I crave. Only problem is G.C. wants $700 for the head and that doesnt include a cab.

#1(B) Tiny Terror for the same reasons as the OR 15 but has no FX loop.

#2 Blackstar HT5. The store didn't have a 1 watter so I tried this bad boy. Very impressed but certainly want to try the 1 watter just because of the value.

#3 DSL 40. I had an ok experience with the DSL 40 I tried today. Definitely nailed The Darkness/80's tone but I couldn't nail a good low volume crunch. I definitely want to give a DSL 5 a chance before I write it off.

#4 007 Bassbreaker. It just didn't do it for me.

Unfortunately G.C. did not have a Micro Terror/Dark and I wanted to try those simply because of the potential bargain. With that said I enjoyed all of these amps thoroughly more than any SS or Modeler than I tried.. I also tried all these amps with an Epi Les Paul Standard other than my own. I would like to try them with my own guitar but its still being setup. Thank you so much for the suggestions. If you have any more suggestions I would appreciate it.

P.S. How long should it take to have a guitar setup? I dropped it off 2 weeks ago and it's still not done.

Hmm, I guess depending on how busy the person doing the set up is...

But 2 weeks does seem a bit long for a setup

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I'm really impressed by the BM version of the Mooer Little Monster

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_TJ9nwidsA[/ame]

Latest Threads