In search for the best les paul

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Niilopi, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Niilopi

Niilopi Junior Member

Well. Atleast some think a resonating guitar is what theyre looking for as do i. And some just that its something to laugh about. Thanks for your response

LpCustom2007 likes this.
  2. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

I already own the best Les Paul, but I wish you luck in finding the second best one.

JMB1984, Jabberwocky, Stuff and 3 others like this.
  3. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

I see no reason to be making fun of someone wanting an electric guitar that resonates well unplugged.
    I have kids and a small apartment and 90% of the time I play unplugged in the couch. This is how I write music as well. I almost never plug in at home, so only for weekly rehearsals and when we have gigging periods.
    However, I do agree that sometimes guitars that sound lame unplugged sounds GREAT plugged in. My R7 for example. Thats why I keep it in the rehearsal room, and my much better resonating R9 at home.
    However, I have never tried a guitar that sounds great unplugged but shitty plugged in, so I would rather look for a great resonating guitar than one that only sounds good plugged in.

serch777, IGRocker, Microdot and 3 others like this.
  4. Stealer

Stealer Senior Member

There are some preachy, condescending responses in here - no wonder I rarely visit.

One guy in particular just can't help himself in any thread I see him in.

Meanwhile, ...

Asses the guitars in a way which suits you - apply your own metrics - come to your own decision.

The bottom line answer to your question is that there is a huge variance in quality between historics. Yes, an element of the final tonal result will be subjective but, that aside, they're not all great - most are good, and a very small number (at least based on the sample I've personally experienced here in the UK) are outstanding guitars in absolute terms.

Electrics can't add to what's there already, but they can certainly subtract.

Of course, you have to plug it in and play it to fully assess the guitar but there are desirable properties that can be determined from an acoustic assessment.

Good luck in your search . . .

serch777, 6077dino, Stuff and 3 others like this.
  5. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I feel the same about acoustical sound. To me I don't take much into what a Les Paul, or other electric, sounds like unplugged. They do not get played acoustically anyway 99.9% of the time so when I try one in person it's plugged into a amp.

I've owned so many that sounded not the best acoustically but were beastly sounding through a amp, I don't judge by acoustic properties anymore when it comes to electrics.

I leave that for the actual acoustic guitars I own.

freebyrd 69 and jeff_farkas like this.
  6. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Niilopi

If you want to explore in detail why a resonant solid body guitar is not a desirable thing, please take a look at the recent 50s wood tone thread. My comments on that thread start here. Unless I've messed the links up :).

What I'm going to say next is so important I'm going to put it all in red bold, which isn't something I'd normally do:

Beware confusion of terms! People talk of resonance - which means wood resonance - when they may well mean string vibration. Loud string vibration is good. Loud body resonance is not. Technical details on the linked thread. It is essential to be clear about what actually makes a solid body electric acoustically loud. Definitions matter...

Good luck in your search!

Pythonman, L96A1 and freebyrd 69 like this.
  7. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

I asses my guitars acoustically first.

I hit a open E chord and feel how it reacts to my pick.I listen to how clear each note is and how long they ring out. If the low E is soft I pass on the guitar.

Also I listen for certain overtones that congest and kill certain notes. B and C on the A string tend to have some overtones that are overactive on some guitars. Plugged in at high volume this can be a issue.

Listen and feel what is being lost in the neck and body.This should be minimal.The guitar should feel rigid and the vibration should be felt mainly on the strings.

Then I check for dead notes.

I know my rig very well and I know what will and will not work with it and my band

I don't plug in at stores ever because its not my real life situation and the amp in the store may mask what I need to hear.

If the guitar is set up bad .I set it up as I go along,thanks to my Gibson pocket tool kit.

All my guitars are loud acoustically and I learn new songs on them not plugged in and I play them at home acoustically everyday.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    serch777, Dilver, GearHo and 4 others like this.
  8. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

I know of a few MTM R8 spec. that are outstanding.They have the most bang for the buck too.

Dilver likes this.
  9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

You..and 50,000 other guys.

10. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I already got the BEST ones out there,...........you are doomed to failure.............JUST kidding (but i do have the BEST ones I like):cool:

I have a few that the body and neck have little vibration but they are loud as hell acoustically from the strings with massive sustain. That is a good combination.

11. Callaway

Callaway Senior Member

Hey your're in luck they haven't made it yet apparently or why else would some of these guys have well over 10 at home and a revolving door whenever the new models show up yet still claim not to be collectors.

Best bet is find one regardless of year that is screaming your name then season to your own particular taste of what you are going for musically. Whatever someone else tells you is absolutely the best is meaningless until you get it in your own hands.

The great news is right now more than at any other time is a fantastic era to be able to do invasive mods to a Lester and yet be able to return it to factory specs if you want to flip it later on.

12. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Agree with everything else in the comment, but I'd particularly like to highlight this bit.

mfolet likes this.
  13. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

Your search is over I have the best in every way it'ts perfect

jeff_farkas and freebyrd 69 like this.
  14. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Some honest one's too. You basically said the same thing I did. The OP has to decide for himself, you can get a quality instrument that sounds great at any price point, and PLUG IT IN AND PLAY IT TO ASSESS IT.

15. freebyrd 69

I went back to read the OP. To quote....."Can you verify this is not just a thing in my head but the really good les pauls do stand out from the basic good guitars even in Historic Gibsons? Cause i sure as hell want to find one of those for myself. Im just starting to doubt my sanity, what if its all in my head".

I'll do my best here with a little more detail. My #1 guitar is my 2011 R9. When I got it direct from the factory, it was in the "good" category. I custom ordered a set of Pearly Gates SD pickups to my specs. I added a Callaham bridge and locking tailpiece, and I put a MSSC harness in it, as well as a pro set up. It went from "good" to "nothing touches it". NOTHING. I have owned literally hundreds of Historics, and the only one that came close to this is a "Shanks" CC.

My #2 guitar is a 2003 Gold Top. I put the original Bonamassa/Duncan pickups in it, along with a MSSC harness and again, a pro set up. BINGO. It's absolutely a great guitar.

Notice a pattern here? They weren't AWESOME guitars to me until I tweaked them a bit. Pulling guitars out of boxes or off of walls to do an assessment of what the guitar is, or more importantly what it could be, is not a fair assessment.

I raced YEARS of motocross. It would be like me hopping on a random dirt bike, getting lap times, and claiming that the bike sucks because my lap times were sub par. It doesn't matter if it's a factory racers bike, if it's not set up like "I" like it, it's not going to feel right. Also, it doesn't matter what the bike sounds like while it's idling either, you can't assess it like that. LOL

Tcb37, DanD, pinefd and 3 others like this.
  16. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

I can relate to what your saying there freebyrd.
    Espesally the bike bit as I come from a biking family(not racing though). And your right about fettling something to make it yours. And that I find applied to anything even my wood working tools.
    The only thing I would say and it' a saying from when I was in army(sorry if it offends any one) you can't polish a turd! Basicly if its a bad one from the start you will struggle to make it good let alone perfect. Thats with everything in life not just guitars.

LpCustom2007 likes this.
  17. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

Still, if its awesome from the start, it’s not likely it’ll be worse after setup and tweaks, right?

rockinlespaul likes this.
  18. freebyrd 69

Absolutely true. It would just be a shame to pass on "the one" because of a crappy set up.

I think the most important aspect if you are "off the wall" shopping is neck profile. The feelz.

19. freebyrd 69

Agreed here too. But my point is, there could be a gold nugget in that turd if the turd factor comes from the fact that it's been hanging on a wall for six months getting wailed on by everyone that walks in the store.

thinkgreen and mudface like this.
  20. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Thanks for clearing this up, helps me a lot and I agree to your logic.

BBD likes this.