in san fran for the week

fry

Reaction score
I spent a long weekend in San Francisco about 20 years ago. It was a very cool town, a lot of great things to do. It is a damn shame that all anybody thinks about these days is human feces on the sidewalks.

elephantrider

Reaction score
yah, you do have to watch out in certain areas, but it's not quite as bad as folks
make it out to be. i've been out here 3 times already, but never had a free day
to roam, so i'll watch my step :)

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I went there for a lovely family vacation in 1979 and it was wonderful ... I hear it's changed a bit since then

KP11520

Reaction score
Pack your Hip Boots!

Totally appropriate for the "New" kinda "Hip" out there.

AND you can hose 'em off. And you will!

LocoTex

Reaction score
Watch yer step!
Preach it brother! And the only response they have is to spend more money to study the "root causes" of homelessness. Such caring enlightened people. Too bad they'll likely die of cholera like in a third world country. And it used to be such a beautiful city. When my family was there in '65 on the way overseas to Taiwan (Army father) it was beautiful in a way that you just couldn't duplicate.

fry

Reaction score
To answer your original question, I couldn’t say about the subject of guitar shops. I was there 20 years ago, and didn’t attempt to find anything. Somebody must know.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Sorry....I hope you find a great guitar store. I'm sure they must have a few really good ones.

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe take a tour of the Mesa Boogie factory, or the Alembic shop.

Our regular factory tour is the first Wednesday of each month at 11:00 am. We request you call at least 1 week in advance of your visit to reserve an appointment. We appreciate your understanding, as our primary goal is the making of our wonderful instruments.
To get here from San Francisco:

• Travel north on 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge
  • After approximately 45 minutes, exit at Hearn Avenue
  • First left on Santa Rosa Avenue
  • First left on Hearn Avenue (this takes you over the overpass)
  • First left on Corby Avenue. You're now travelling south on the frontage road to 101 with all the car dealerships on your right.
  • At the Ford dealer, Corby makes a sharp right and becomes Bellevue
  • First right on Wiljan Court. We're on the left, number 3005, grey building with green trim. If you reach a stop sign, you've gone too far.

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Check out the rooftop bar in the Hilton Union Square. Awesome view of the whole city on all four sides. It's been a long time since I was there, but they used to have a wicked happy-hour with really good appetizers like chicken wings, nachos, etc.

jhullin

Reaction score
Toronado pub, Rosamunde grill right next door. Golden boy pizza, my all time fave by the slice. I like walking china town but it might not appeal to everyone. Also like the north beach/little italy area. I avoid fishermans wharf like the plague but the wife loves it so.......

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Guitar Center #2 was there, that was my store in the early '70s. It was truly badass. If you find yourself near Geary and Van Ness hit up Tommy's Joynt. Great food, killer atmosphere and a LOT of beer choices.

scott1970

Reaction score
Here’s a tip from working the street. Find a little shallow spot on the road, fill it with bleach and clean the soles of your shoes. Works like a charm after hoofing it through bloody crime scenes, so it should work for the doo doos.

elephantrider

Reaction score
will check out the union square hilton. have a few biz meetings so that would
work perfect. i try to eat at tommy's every visit. i ate at a pretty uppity joint
for lunch today called coqueta. after i departed company, i walked to china town
to spicy king for a snack. uber'd on over to where the guitar center to peek
in the window for a look see so i could stop at bob's donut for dessert. that was
today.

going to try and get over to real guitars this week, along with san francisco guitar
works.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
When I go I try to stop by the corner of Post and Steiner. It's condos now, but it was Winterland. Spent most of high school going to concerts there.

winterland.jpeg

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
My favourite city.
Had a great time there, even in 2010.
Some good blues vibes wafting out onto the streets.
I didn't have the opportunity to venture into any of the clubs but, passin' by, they sounded pretty tempting.
Don't listen to any of the crap above about it bein' gay.
There's a gay section.
It has rainbow flag decorations.
Gay or straight, you'll have some fun in the city.
But I recommend getting a tour bus early on, as there's a lot of really interesting stuff in the surrounding area as well.
I have to go back one day because I only found out at the end of my stay.
Didn't even get to ride the tram (D'oh!).
Not much for typically touristy stuff, me, but I did enjoy "Chinatown".