In praise of The New Originals!

Pappy35

Reaction score
Show me the end of the guitar. seams can be very hard to spot sometimes.
Not sure who you were responding to but, just in case, I did check the ends (that and you can see the grain runs at a very shallow angle across the back of mine which pretty much rules out a seam).

jpfigueiredo

Reaction score
Following @pondcaster's invite (sorry it took so long!), here's my Standard '50s Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Like I mentioned in my NGD thread, I like how different she can look depending on the view/light angle.
You can see that in this sequence:

The same lighting, settings, white balance, post-processing, etc. were use in those shots.

I just rotated the guitar 180 degrees, which was enough for the flames to disappear and the red colour to go more brown-ish.

I don't know if they're all like this.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Nice shots, now take that sticker off and shoot them again!

Better yet, take the whole pick guard off and put in in the case.

No, they are not all like that but most are.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Some of them are and some of them aren't. I actually think the bookmatched backs look even better myself.
The vast majority are multi-piece. One piece backs on the USA line are quite rare (meaning that most normal people who claim they have a one-piece back do not).

Seams in mahogany can be very difficult to see.

jpfigueiredo

Reaction score
Nice shots, now take that sticker off and shoot them again!

Better yet, take the whole pick guard off and put in in the case.

No, they are not all like that but most are.
Thanks.

The guitar's still in its return period, so I'll leave the sticker for now.

The pickguard will come off at some point... But probably just for a photo shoot, I don't know. We'll see. ;)

christopherJ

Reaction score
Thanks.

The guitar's still in its return period, so I'll leave the sticker for now.

The pickguard will come off at some point... But probably just for a photo shoot, I don't know. We'll see. ;)
How could you stand it!?!? I'd have taken if off first thing out of the case...even before checking tuning for the first time!

But then I never was one lingerie...

juanpuol

Reaction score
Thanks. I wish I could photograph it better. From some angles, it looks like a bookmatched, grainy plain top. When the light hits it, a really beautiful 3D flame appears. Did you ever make a NGD post for your ‘19 Traditional?
Only on instagram I posted pictures of it. I am new to this forum since I finally became a proud owner of a Gibson Les Paul. On mine is similar, it looks like a plain top until light hits from an angle, and then the flaming is beautiful with a lot of movement. I love mine, but I also love the new 50s standards. It is just hard to justify getting another guitar that is basically the same... although I finally tried it in the store and it feels different than mine.

Actually looking forward and starting to save in case I decide to get a Slash Standard next year. Hopefully the gold top. Anyways, maybe I should post pictures of my guitar here. Let it get some love from some LP lovers :)

Sockrawtease

Reaction score
Have had my gold top 50’s for the past month.Feels and plays great.

Had to work with pickup and pole piece height to get the sound I wanted out of them. It sounded great acoustically: bright, clear, lots of sustain, and loud, but that wasn’t all being translated from the pick ups to my amps. Once dialed in, the guitar was cooking. Getting bell like and shimmer (not as much as single coils obviously but it’s there and puts a smile on my face) from both clean and distortion with plenty of overtones, bite and clarity. Warmth and creamy is only a couple notches down on the tone and/or volume controls. Never thought I’d have a best of both worlds in one guitar, was pretty close with my Am Pro tele but I think this LP has it beat.

I was going to return it due to an issue with crazy rattle from the bridge. But despite the rattle, it sounded amazing unplugged so thought I’d try to sort it out first. Raising the tail piece about 3/4 turn on both sides resolved that issue. I’m glad it did.

420B4A10-A26E-4C4A-94D6-87D1095D35DE.jpeg
77CF0D63-3ED9-4D88-AD14-3EC04CC2A4A9.jpeg
0A929283-23E6-43BB-9119-C78462D3EEE4.jpeg

Mine also has a one piece back so there are some out there.

Last edited:

Latest Threads