In praise of The New Originals!

Pappy35

Reaction score
You see the others they got in? All in Dark Cherry but they're all real heifers. There's one in there that weighs 11 3/4 pounds! This was the only one in that color that came in and at just a hair under 9 pounds was also the lightest. I got really lucky.

I don't know though, that '58 is still calling my name...

MiniB

Reaction score
You see the others they got in? All in Dark Cherry but they're all real heifers. There's one in there that weighs 11 3/4 pounds! This was the only one in that color that came in and at just a hair under 9 pounds was also the lightest. I got really lucky.

I don't know though, that '58 is still calling my name...
I did...all 60's ones and yeah some are real heavy! Man those bourbon bursts look great too, they should do a run of 50's in that finish.....I might have gotten one of those instead of Unburst if they were available in 50's format.

jbash

Reaction score
never had an Explorer & have always wanted one. The Original Collection price made having one a possibility for many more players. I LOVE this guitar more than even anticipated..

My very first Gibson from many many moons ago looked an awful lot like that one. Congrats! :applause:

Benniator

Reaction score
This is a beautiful guitar, Sir. Congratulations. Almost went for it. Came out with a Traditional 2019.
Thanks. I wish I could photograph it better. From some angles, it looks like a bookmatched, grainy plain top. When the light hits it, a really beautiful 3D flame appears. Did you ever make a NGD post for your ‘19 Traditional?

mjross

Reaction score
I really wanted one as well, but they only come in a 60's neck profile. :(
I must be the strangest player on earth, neck profile really does not make a difference to me. I kind of enjoy playing different profiles. I was just playing one of my 2017 Les Paul Standard HP’s. Now that is a different neck in regard to most Les Pauls I’ve played. However, I really dig it, depends on how I’m feeling. I can go from a Les Paul HP to one of my Music Man Axis and not really have an issue. Two EXTREMELY different necks. When I was gigging a lot, I use to take in the vicinity of 6 guitars for the night. Except for #1 and 2, the rest had all sorts of assorted neck profiles. Never bothered me!

Another player that I jam with thinks I’m a little off because I do not care what guitar pick I use. He has to have a specific pick from a specific manufacturer. I have a cup on my desk with assorted guitar picks collected over the last 50 or so years. Some I even made from this little gizmo my wife gave me that makes picks out of old credit cards and such. I think there’s even a bread wrapper or two in there. I just reach in the cup and play with whatever I pull out. Not criticizing anyone’s requirements but mine are pretty loose.

I do get what you are saying though. Not everyone is the same. Play what you like and keep on Rockin!

Last edited:

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably not. Check the end near the strap
pin for the seam.
It happens. I've held and inspected a 2017 Tribute with a 1 piece back.

If there's a seam in the OP's guitar, it isn't in the middle. My '13 Tribute GT is two piece, a very small piece just below the control cavity

Pappy35

Reaction score
My new Wildwood Select 50's Standard has a one piece back too. Love it. Just shy of 9 pounds too!

Along the lines of the OP, this Les Paul's finish (my first Gibson and only 2nd Les Paul) is utterly flawless. I mean, like, I'm astounded that this was created with human hands. I'm uber-picky and I simply cannot find a single flaw of any kind. Now the wiring is another story but I can fix that no sweat.

IMG_20200914_185747.jpg

IMG_20200914_185933.jpg

Last edited:

christopherJ

Reaction score
Show me the end of the guitar. seams can be very hard to spot sometimes.

christopherJ

Reaction score
It happens. I've held and inspected a 2017 Tribute with a 1 piece back.

If there's a seam in the OP's guitar, it isn't in the middle. My '13 Tribute GT is two piece, a very small piece just below the control cavity
I wouldn’t bet on it.

Latest Threads