In praise of The New Originals!

Ronaldo

Reaction score
Let me say that I have been more than impressed with my Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special even though this is my second Les Paul Special.
The first one a ‘21 model was a beautiful one piece body that I shared with y’all a while ago.
I really wanted to keep it but it had nightmare static issues. It was real bad and I couldn’t get past it so the Gibson Garage had me send it back.
I am not kidding you the tech called me and said it had the worst case of static charge melded to the finish that they had ever heard and there was nothing they could do.
Even said a dryer sheet couldn’t help lol!

So they sent me a 8 lb. two piece really dark fretboard ‘22 and it came to me flawless and even more perfect than the first one and static free! I’m serious, I could not find one thing wrong with it cosmetically. Set up wise, I did have to move the bass side bridge back a bit to even out intonation but other than that everything else was perfect.
Thank you Gibson.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FJXEF2Cwu_nhHiXfspiHwSz72K67ud2s/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jx0R4Z1B30zflwz3-Z-_AUf5RBxUfeAX/view?usp=drivesdk

DaveSG

Reaction score
Let me say that I have been more than impressed with my Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special even though this is my second Les Paul Special.
The first one a ‘21 model was a beautiful one piece body that I shared with y’all a while ago.
I really wanted to keep it but it had nightmare static issues. It was real bad and I couldn’t get past it so the Gibson Garage had me send it back.
I am not kidding you the tech called me and said it had the worst case of static charge melded to the finish that they had ever heard and there was nothing they could do.
Even said a dryer sheet couldn’t help lol!

So they sent me a 8 lb. two piece really dark fretboard ‘22 and it came to me flawless and even more perfect than the first one and static free! I’m serious, I could not find one thing wrong with it cosmetically. Set up wise, I did have to move the bass side bridge back a bit to even out intonation but other than that everything else was perfect.
Thank you Gibson.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FJXEF2Cwu_nhHiXfspiHwSz72K67ud2s/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jx0R4Z1B30zflwz3-Z-_AUf5RBxUfeAX/view?usp=drivesdk
That is a DARK fretboard. Looks great!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, what a fantastic unusual one-of-a-kind top on this one, I think. It definitely has a top I have not seen this unique, very different but also pretty sweet to my eyes as well as not super heavy.

RMLamey

Reaction score
April 2022 Unburst 60s Standard.
8# 5 oz

Screenshot_20220904-070629_Gallery.jpg

RMLamey

Reaction score
Wow! That is on another level!

And as mentioned, the weight is impressive.

R0 territory, imo.
They (Bailey Brothers) let me pick through several in the stock room. Oddly, this was the first brought out. As soon as I opened the case, then picked it up I pretty much knew it was the 1. I looked at 3 others just to make sure, then told Joseph @ Bailey Brothers, I'm good.... this is the 1.

I was wanting an R8 they have in a bad way, but couldn't justify over twice the price.

DaveSG

Reaction score
They (Bailey Brothers) let me pick through several in the stock room. Oddly, this was the first brought out. As soon as I opened the case, then picked it up I pretty much knew it was the 1. I looked at 3 others just to make sure, then told Joseph @ Bailey Brothers, I'm good.... this is the 1.

I was wanting an R8 they have in a bad way, but couldn't justify over twice the price.
Plenty of examples of USA guitars A/B comparing well against their Custom Shop cousins. I don't have much time in the driver's seat with R8s, R9s, or R0s...but I'm super happy w/ my LP, so no reason to Pay $4000+ in hopes of getting something better, even if it is better.

You did well! I *dream* of the idea of having multiples of a guitar model to try out to pick out the best one, but such a situation is almost an impossibility, being left handed. The closest I could get is if a shop like Southpaw Guitars was to get in a big shipment of multiple, or if I won the lottery and fronted the $$$ for a place like The Music Zoo to do a 25-guitar run of lefties or something.

mjross

Reaction score
Plenty of examples of USA guitars A/B comparing well against their Custom Shop cousins. I don't have much time in the driver's seat with R8s, R9s, or R0s...but I'm super happy w/ my LP, so no reason to Pay $4000+ in hopes of getting something better, even if it is better.

You did well! I *dream* of the idea of having multiples of a guitar model to try out to pick out the best one, but such a situation is almost an impossibility, being left handed. The closest I could get is if a shop like Southpaw Guitars was to get in a big shipment of multiple, or if I won the lottery and fronted the $$$ for a place like The Music Zoo to do a 25-guitar run of lefties or something.
I feel your pain being a lefty myself. I’ve been very fortunate to acquire the Les Pauls I own, all of which I purchased based on pics, reputable dealers and discussions with the previous owners. There’s no such thing as “running the racks“ or big shipments when your a lefty! If you see something you like, pull the trigger, it may be gone the next time you look. Also, I’ve often wondered why dealers like Wildwood carry ZERO left handed guitars, I’d love to run the racks and have a selection like the righties, hmmmmm…but I digress!

Nonetheless, the Lefty Standard 50’s Gold Top I recently purchased was an exercise to see how good these new Standards really are. I’m here to tell you, yeah, they are pretty damn good! I have a few high end Les Paul for comparison and yeah, the new Standards are the real thing. Are they as good as CS/Reissues and worth the extra cash, that’s for you to decide! However, based on what I know owning both Standard and CS/Reissue Les Pauls, and as good as the new Standards are, I’d still invest in CS/Reissue, but that’s just me!

Last edited:

DaveSG

Reaction score
I feel your pain being a lefty myself. I’ve been very fortunate to acquire the Les Pauls I own, all of which I purchased based on pics, reputable dealers and discussions with the previous owners. There’s no such thing as “running the racks“ or big shipments when your a lefty! If you see something you like, pull the trigger, it may be gone the next time you look. Also, I’ve often wondered why dealers like Wildwood carry ZERO left handed guitars, I’d love to run the racks and have a selection like the righties, hmmmmm…but I digress!

Nonetheless, the Lefty Standard 50’s Gold Top I recently purchased was an exercise to see how good these new Standards really are. I’m here to tell you, yeah, they are pretty damn good! I have a few high end Les Paul for comparison and yeah, the new Standards are the real thing. Are they as good as CS/Reissues and worth the extra cash, that’s for you to decide! However, based on what I know owning both Standard and CS/Reissue Les Pauls, and as good as the new Standards are, I’d still invest in CS/Reissue, but that’s just me!

Wildwood is about 45 min away from me, so yeah I totally get the frustration for them not carrying a single lefty, at all. Last I counted on their website, they had OVER 200 'New Original' LPs...not a single lefty.

mjross

Reaction score
Wildwood is about 45 min away from me, so yeah I totally get the frustration for them not carrying a single lefty, at all. Last I counted on their website, they had OVER 200 'New Original' LPs...not a single lefty.
Yeah, I called them a month or so ago and asked WHY can’t they get just a few nice lefties, not 200 just a few. The person I talked to totally agreed with me and stated that he does not understand that either.

I play lefty strung righty so I have a lot of right handed guitars that I play upside down, actually more righties than lefties and that’s a bunch. However, these days when I see a good lefty I buy it. last year I had the opportunity to purchase a lefty “59” Historic Makeovers Brazilian. I did not hesitate a minute. Pretty expensive but how often does a lefty HM Brazilian come along.

Just recently I purchased a lefty Carvin Alan Holdsworth HF2 Fatboy with Synth Access. Found it in Dublin Ireland. These are killer guitars but are discontinued and harder than hell to find in the lefty format. Fortunately enough, it was from a collection and in new condition. Even though the guitar was in Ireland I pulled the trigger, heaven knows when one would pop up again, especially that nice. If you are a lefty you’ve got to act fast because the selection is very thin, but I don’t have to tell you that!

ScreamingSkull

Reaction score
I've had a few examples of Original Collection Les Pauls, here is my picture heavy story. My first Original was a black 2020 Epiphone '60s which was my second Les Paul. The first was a black 2016 Traditional Pro II that I sold after I got the Standard. i got the first LP as a new learner and didn't know much.

Black.jpg

The reason I sold the Trad Pro is because I didn't need or want the the push-pull pots active pickups. A more simple guitar is what I wanted. I went with a Standard '60s because I thought as a noob a thinner neck would be better. Also visually I like the knobs and tuners on the '60s better.

just like everyone else I like to window shop on Reverb, and after a while I came across a bourbon burst Epi Standard '60s that I really liked and couldn't pass up.
Bourbon.jpg

Bourbon burst is my favorite finish on Les Paul Standards, and this one has a nice top. I had both for a while and would practice with whichever one caught my eye. I like the looks of both of them, and liked the black LP because I've often seen Dean DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots with one.

Bourbon & Black.jpg

Eventfully I decided that instead of having two Standard '60s I should get a Standard '50s in addition to the '60s. I sold the black one and startred looking for a tobacco burst '50s but couldn't find one with a top I liked. Then I came across this '50s in heritage cherry.

Cherry.jpg

It's cool having both, but I found that I preferred the thicker neck of the Standard '50s and I played the '60s less and less.

Bourbon & Cherry.jpg

Not shown it the pictures, I ended up taking the pick guard off the '50s and changed out the knobs to top hats with inserts like on a Standard '60s.

When I decided to take the plunge and get a Gibson, I initially bought a Slash Standard in November burst that had a really nice top. I bought it off of zZounds because it's one of the sites that lets you see the guitar you are buying, and it had the best top of the sites I looked at.

Slash.jpg

Sadly when it arrived it had serious defects in the finish on the neck binding. Fortunately I was able to return it at no cost to me. I got a refund instead of exchanging it because I didn't see a top that I liked as nearly as much. But I kept looking around and as I was looking for a November Burst that I really wanted I came found that zZounds has some Standard '50s in bourbon burst with AAA tops.

PXL_20220905_144938285.jpg

Now I'm actully glad that the Slash LP was blemished because this one is flawless. I can't stop playing it. Now I'm probably going to sell the Epiphones because I can't see myself playing them and I'd rather them go to someone who will play them.

Last edited:

Latest Threads