In praise of The New Originals!

Sirloin

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the immediate, obvious choice.

I was just wondering if one of the P90 beauties would eventually make it.
If I could only keep one of the p90 guitars, it would be the special. They’re both great, but that Special is special.

I have owned the 1998 R8 since new and it is a fantastic guitar. The Black Standard can really hang with it though.

kingfredward

Reaction score
Decided to remove the PU covers on my unburst 60s standard... what do you think?
DSCF8138.jpg
DSCF8144.jpg
DSCF8142.jpg
DSCF8145.jpg
DSCF8146.jpg
DSCF8148.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer double cream or covers on.
I don't care for double-black with cream rings on a burst.
Some other guitars, such as PRS, look OK.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Mine turned up yesterday, fairly underwhelmed if I'm honest! Top is pretty plain although there is a bit of nice grain, the back has a really prominent line right down the middle where the two pieces join. Now I've seen it I know that will bug the crap out of me

1.jpg

Also I stupidly neglected to ask the weight before I ordered. Straightaway it felt heavy compared to my 8.8lb Tokai LP, it reads 10.1lb on my scales which is quite a bit more than I'm used to. It's back in its case and under the bed at the moment, don't know whether I'll keep it

JMP

Reaction score
Mine turned up yesterday, fairly underwhelmed if I'm honest! Top is pretty plain although there is a bit of nice grain, the back has a really prominent line right down the middle where the two pieces join. Now I've seen it I know that will bug the crap out of me

View attachment 584423

Also I stupidly neglected to ask the weight before I ordered. Straightaway it felt heavy compared to my 8.8lb Tokai LP, it reads 10.1lb on my scales which is quite a bit more than I'm used to. It's back in its case and under the bed at the moment, don't know whether I'll keep it
How does it play and sound?

DaveSG

Reaction score
How does it play and sound?
The most important question!

Did you order sight unseen, or did the photos just pop more?

Might be a fantastic guitar. Grain lines are grain lines. The weight, however, could be a big factor if you gig and plan to play standing a bunch. I've seen a swath of sub-9lb Standards and so you have options. I posted about a month or so ago a LP Std w/ a weight listed as 8lb, 1oz, as its own thread. It was a complete plaintop, but someone wanted it bad when they saw that weight. It sold quick! They are out there. If you need a lighter guitar, you can at least pass this one on w/ a clear conscience knowing that it is more preferential than problematic. And some like their lesters heavy.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Nope, I would send it back if you're underwhelmed, it's not going to get any better. Your first look at your new guitar should be one of surprise and excitement. Then after playing it, it just gets better, then you know it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've noticed Gibson has been changing cases for these Original Collection guitars. My 2019 Les Paul Special came w/ a case w/ the new squared off latches w/ a rectangular brown handle w/ black around the edges of the handle. My 2019 Les Paul Standard 50s came w/ a case w/ rounded latches and a rectangular all brown handle. Then I saw someone post their new Standard on here that came w/ squared off latches and a circular style handle.

The Gibson logo on my Special case is a lighter yellowish gold and the logo edges are super clean. The Gibson logo on my Standard 50s case is darker gold w/ almost a bit of green on the edge of the gold and the edges of the logo are less precise and kind of blotchy.

I'm wondering if Gibson was using the same cases across the board and then switched over to a different case across the board or if different guitars get a slightly different case. It's interesting.

The Original case you can buy new from Gibson online for the Les Paul, ES-335 and SG has the circular handle. I wonder why they seem to have stopped producing the case w/ the rectangular handle.

Injector

Reaction score

View attachment 584423

On the plus side it does have a nice dark fretboard....

coyote95667

Reaction score

Latest Threads