In praise of The New Originals!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Oh, she's a player! Already got some dings on the back. It's funny, if the lighting is different, or if you look from a certain angle, she darn near appears like a plaintop. Hard to believe after those photos above, but yeah catch the right lighting or the right angle, and that is what you see.

I've been tempted to take some 'plain jane' shots to show the difference, but what lady would ever want you to take unflattering pics? :laugh2:
Now you got me curious because I just cant imagine those thick flames disappearing! The paint job to is different to mine around the edges. Mine almost seems like a fade more so than a burst where as yours has a deeper edging. Very unique indeed!

DaveSG

Reaction score
Now you got me curious because I just cant imagine those thick flames disappearing! The paint job to is different to mine around the edges. Mine almost seems like a fade more so than a burst where as yours has a deeper edging. Very unique indeed!

Here she is without her makeup on. Quite a difference!

PA061238.JPG

Quick shift of the camera...

PA061239.JPG

Dionysus the Mad God

Reaction score
I’m in praise of the new standards, oh yea! But...you would be wise to plek those medium jumbos railroad tracks to something more playable. In the hands of the right shop of course. You will end up with a perfect, I mean perfect setup. I’m in a better place than most custom shop fret work. Never thought possible. Seriously folks.
I read somewhere recently that the new Standards are Plek’d in factory.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently that the new Standards are Plek’d in factory.
They are, but with the changes in temperature and humidity between the factory and the guitar's final home, it's really no more effective than a conventional fret leveling.
It's more a time-saving thing on the production line and selling point than it is a real benefit.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
They are, but with the changes in temperature and humidity between the factory and the guitar's final home, it's really no more effective than a conventional fret leveling.
It's more a time-saving thing on the production line and selling point than it is a real benefit.
Luckily for me here in NC, they arrive from TN barely changed. So I've never had much of a fret issue purchasing direct from Gibson.
It's weird when I see pictures on here with messed up fret jobs from a supposedly new purchase but I guess wood moves depending... I'm guessing the humidity here helps??

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Congrats on the unburst and welcome to the club sir. There's no turning back now! Btw, thats quite the nice fret board.

redking

Reaction score

my never ending quest for fat necks continues. I've got my brothers 2021 lp 50s standard next to my 2020 lp 50s standard and theyre night and day! The 2021 neck is a really full, chunk c/d shape whereas my 2020 is more like a C with no shoulders, even tho it has a .88" depth at the first fret. The 2021 measures .90" at the first. WHere things really change is the width of the fretboard. Starting at the nut, the 2021 is 1.71 wide where as the 2020 is only 1.68. Overall the 2021 feels REALLY full and wide whereas the 2020 feels a little chunky, kinda

im not sure i prefer playing the chunkier neck just yet, maybe i dont want to like it bc that means ill have to get rid of my 2020 and get one with a proper thick neck.

Don't get me wrong, the 2020 lp 50s is probably my favorite guitar I own, but the main reason I got one was for the chunky neck and I dont feel I really have that

am i the only one without a full 50s neck?
the 50's neck on the new era Standards is not any type of "fat neck" that we have been accustomed to - I believe they are made to appeal to the average player. I think they are saving the "fat neck" option for the reissues.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
the 50's neck on the new era Standards is not any type of "fat neck" that we have been accustomed to - I believe they are made to appeal to the average player. I think they are saving the "fat neck" option for the reissues.
What year of 'fat neck' are you referring to? 56? 57? 58? 59?.... There's quite the variance just in these 4 years. There's the mid-50's baseball bat to the modern 50's '59 styled neck.

redking

Reaction score
What year of 'fat neck' are you referring to? 56? 57? 58? 59?.... There's quite the variance just in these 4 years. There's the mid-50's baseball bat to the modern 50's '59 styled neck.
True - I see most people refer to a '59 as the common reference point. On my 2020 Standard with a 50's neck, I would say it is most similar to a typical modern "c-shaped" strat neck and I would rank that as being somewhere between a "60's thin" Gibson and what is commonly referred to as a "59" Gibson neck.

DaveSG

Reaction score
If you take a look at Wildwood's website, they post neck thickness specs on most/all guitars. I wish more guitar stores did this, as it adds incredibly valuable information especially if buying sight unseen.

Most of what I see for Standards is between .87-.91. I would call that a healthy 50s size neck. My 2021 has a great feeling, chunky neck that never gets in the way. Love it. Reminds me a lot my old 2016 Standard Faded's neck I used to have - simply lovely.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
check out the nut width on that sucker - at 1.71 it is noticeably chunkier in hand. 1st fret thickness is .91

i have a 2020 gt standard and the nut width is 1.68 and 1st fret around .88. The specs may be similar but It legitimately feels like a different guitar and almost small in hand. Neck shape is different too, the GT is a C and the 2021 is D (to me, in hand)

Latest Threads