In praise of The New Originals!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Oh, she's a player! Already got some dings on the back. It's funny, if the lighting is different, or if you look from a certain angle, she darn near appears like a plaintop. Hard to believe after those photos above, but yeah catch the right lighting or the right angle, and that is what you see.

I've been tempted to take some 'plain jane' shots to show the difference, but what lady would ever want you to take unflattering pics? :laugh2:
Now you got me curious because I just cant imagine those thick flames disappearing! The paint job to is different to mine around the edges. Mine almost seems like a fade more so than a burst where as yours has a deeper edging. Very unique indeed!

DaveSG

Reaction score
Now you got me curious because I just cant imagine those thick flames disappearing! The paint job to is different to mine around the edges. Mine almost seems like a fade more so than a burst where as yours has a deeper edging. Very unique indeed!

Here she is without her makeup on. Quite a difference!

PA061238.JPG

Quick shift of the camera...

PA061239.JPG

Dionysus the Mad God

Reaction score
I’m in praise of the new standards, oh yea! But...you would be wise to plek those medium jumbos railroad tracks to something more playable. In the hands of the right shop of course. You will end up with a perfect, I mean perfect setup. I’m in a better place than most custom shop fret work. Never thought possible. Seriously folks.
I read somewhere recently that the new Standards are Plek’d in factory.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently that the new Standards are Plek’d in factory.
They are, but with the changes in temperature and humidity between the factory and the guitar's final home, it's really no more effective than a conventional fret leveling.
It's more a time-saving thing on the production line and selling point than it is a real benefit.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
They are, but with the changes in temperature and humidity between the factory and the guitar's final home, it's really no more effective than a conventional fret leveling.
It's more a time-saving thing on the production line and selling point than it is a real benefit.
Luckily for me here in NC, they arrive from TN barely changed. So I've never had much of a fret issue purchasing direct from Gibson.
It's weird when I see pictures on here with messed up fret jobs from a supposedly new purchase but I guess wood moves depending... I'm guessing the humidity here helps??

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Congrats on the unburst and welcome to the club sir. There's no turning back now! Btw, thats quite the nice fret board.

Latest Threads