In praise of The New Originals!

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score

my never ending quest for fat necks continues. I've got my brothers 2021 lp 50s standard next to my 2020 lp 50s standard and theyre night and day! The 2021 neck is a really full, chunk c/d shape whereas my 2020 is more like a C with no shoulders, even tho it has a .88" depth at the first fret. The 2021 measures .90" at the first. WHere things really change is the width of the fretboard. Starting at the nut, the 2021 is 1.71 wide where as the 2020 is only 1.68. Overall the 2021 feels REALLY full and wide whereas the 2020 feels a little chunky, kinda

im not sure i prefer playing the chunkier neck just yet, maybe i dont want to like it bc that means ill have to get rid of my 2020 and get one with a proper thick neck.

Don't get me wrong, the 2020 lp 50s is probably my favorite guitar I own, but the main reason I got one was for the chunky neck and I dont feel I really have that

am i the only one without a full 50s neck?

Lhdr

Reaction score
I’m in praise of the new standards, oh yea! But...you would be wise to plek those medium jumbos railroad tracks to something more playable. In the hands of the right shop of course. You will end up with a perfect, I mean perfect setup. I’m in a better place than most custom shop fret work. Never thought possible. Seriously folks.

gball

Reaction score

my never ending quest for fat necks continues. I've got my brothers 2021 lp 50s standard next to my 2020 lp 50s standard and theyre night and day! The 2021 neck is a really full, chunk c/d shape whereas my 2020 is more like a C with no shoulders, even tho it has a .88" depth at the first fret. The 2021 measures .90" at the first. WHere things really change is the width of the fretboard. Starting at the nut, the 2021 is 1.71 wide where as the 2020 is only 1.68. Overall the 2021 feels REALLY full and wide whereas the 2020 feels a little chunky, kinda

im not sure i prefer playing the chunkier neck just yet, maybe i dont want to like it bc that means ill have to get rid of my 2020 and get one with a proper thick neck.

Don't get me wrong, the 2020 lp 50s is probably my favorite guitar I own, but the main reason I got one was for the chunky neck and I dont feel I really have that

am i the only one without a full 50s neck?
My '50s Standard has a monstrous neck, which is frankly why I bought it. I do not know the dimensions but it is the fattest neck I've ever owned - it feels like the R7's I have played. My Les Paul Special is pretty huge too, but not quite as big as the Standard.

But I like having different size/feel necks. No two of my guitars feel quite the same and that's good because I can grab whichever suits my mood.

Tim-ster

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first Gibson Les Paul. This one, bought used off Reverb for less than 2k caught my eye, and it will be with me to the end. It has the brightest, most lively pickups of all my guitars. Slightly less bright than a Tele, but much fuller in harmonic content. The neck is thick as a log, which I love, and the overall heft of the guitar is deeply satisfying. I bought it used intentionally, so I don't fuss over small marks and other distractions that keep me from fully enjoying the art of playing up to my axe's awesomeness.

pondcaster

Reaction score

3ChordMerchant

Reaction score
I've got a 2021 Slash standard and the neck is pretty chunky, but not as massive as my 2013 Traditional...if you're looking for a fat neck, try one of those.
I’ve only played one orig. ‘59 (probably a mid yr. ) in Nashville and I have to agree my ‘13 Traditional (Caramel Burst) is every bit the equal in size.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Walked thru the music room yesterday late afternoon and the mottled light was hitting just right to appear like flames on the Unburst. On the iPhone it's a "Live" photo so when you press and hold, it looks just like the top is on fire.

1622901549171.jpeg

Probably should have posted in Flametop Friday thread?

DaveSG

Reaction score
That's the kind of top that would almost make me want to case it and stick it in the closet to be auctioned in 50 years. I'd have to buy another just to play one daily.
Oh, she's a player! Already got some dings on the back. It's funny, if the lighting is different, or if you look from a certain angle, she darn near appears like a plaintop. Hard to believe after those photos above, but yeah catch the right lighting or the right angle, and that is what you see.

I've been tempted to take some 'plain jane' shots to show the difference, but what lady would ever want you to take unflattering pics? :laugh2:

Latest Threads