In praise of The New Originals!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Maybe it was one of Trogly's review guitars and he screwed up when he put the pickups back in?

There's your story... bumps the value by 10% since it's been on Youtube.
Haha I wish, I love Trogly. Would be fun to have video documentation of the guitar and a detailed overview.
I’d leave it.
Makes it unique.
If you ever lose yours in a big pile of others it’ll be easier to find.
In my experience, you’ll never hear a difference.

In fact, when you’re my age, everything sounds equal.
I did some googling around and I think you’re right. Most folks said the flipped pickup makes no difference in tone, at least not something most people would hear.

I really don’t mind the pickup position, if it was like this from the factory I’d have no issues. But knowing a customer or guitar center employee opened it up end tinkered around has me wondering why they were tinkering with it in the first place, and did they alter or change anything else? It’s just odd and I’d like to at least know the story behind it.

I personally would never consider returning a great looking/playing guitar for something so minor. I would however let them know that I'm aware that it was tinkered with and ask for an explanation (I'm still thinking someone bought/returned it). And if I were you and lacked the experience/confidence to flip it back myself, I would insist that they do it for me. It's really such a minor thing. There's no wiring involved, no damage you can't see. nothing devalued or broken. A 5 minute fix with no tools other than a screwdriver (technically 2 screwdrivers - a flathead ans a Phillips).
Thanks for the input! Yeah, honestly just the flipped pickup alone doesn’t bother me. And if it was something from the factory, I’d just call it a Gibson QC quirk and not worry about it.

But like you said, it being changed after the factory, either by a customer or guitar center employee has me a bit concerned and I’d like to know the story behind it.
Like knowing why they were tinkering with the guitar in the first place and if they altered or changed anything else like the wiring, caps, or pots etc.

I suppose there's also the possibility that they swapped out the pickup too. I'd want to know. Are you confident enough to at least unscrew the 4 screws and lift it out and look at the bottom of the pickup? (loosening your strings first and using polishing rags for protection). Hell, at that point you're halfway there!
Yeah, it’s a bit odd. I’d like to know the story behind it, if it was a pickup change or anything else.
Yeah, I think I can unscrew it and lift it out. And I’ll def put it back in the correct position.
Is there a good way to tell if they swapped the pickup?

Last edited:

jskidder

Reaction score
If the guitar was sold to you as new I'd definitely let the store know and find out how or why it was sold to you that way. I'd also check the pickups and make sure they're the factory stock. Would suck if somebody bought it, harvested the pickups, and returned it with something else installed.

Gitter

Reaction score
We can speculate forever but the simplest way to put this to rest is to bring it to GC, point it out and ask them to explain it or check it out for you if they can't. It won't cost you anything.

redking

Reaction score
The pickup lead comes out from the opposite corner of the pickup when its installed upside down, causing you to fight with it and bend it in a way that it doesn't want to go in order to install it backwards. In other words, very unlikely this was done by accident - there is purposeful thought going into putting a humbucker in backwards - either by someone who owned the guitar previously (it would have to be a different pickup because the lead would be too short to reach once turned around after original install) or a worker saying FU to his or her employer at the factory.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
Excited to finally be sharing pics here. This is my standard 60’s in triburst. Always reminds me of a sunset. Need to spend some more time with it but LOVING it so far. Might play with pickup heights but I don’t think it needs anything else, plays as good as it looks.:dude:

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
In the evening . That's a beautiful triburst Les Paul. I have the same guitar as you and I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! :)

InTheEvening

Reaction score
If the guitar was sold to you as new I'd definitely let the store know and find out how or why it was sold to you that way. I'd also check the pickups and make sure they're the factory stock. Would suck if somebody bought it, harvested the pickups, and returned it with something else installed.
Yeah, that’s my fear. It’s a bit fishy and odd to find a flipped pickup on a guitar sold as new, especially since it was flipped AFTER it left the factory. At the least the store could prob tell me if it was bought/returned or if I was the first buyer.

We can speculate forever but the simplest way to put this to rest is to bring it to GC, point it out and ask them to explain it or check it out for you if they can't. It won't cost you anything.
Yeah, I’ll hopefully go tomorrow or early this week and be able to get some answers. Will let you guys know what they say.

The hookup wire comes out from the opposite corner of the pickup when its installed upside down, causing you to fight with it and bend it in a way that it doesn't want to go in order to install it backwards. In other words, very unlikely this was done by accident - there is purposeful thought going into putting a humbucker in backwards - either by someone who owned the guitar previously (it would have to be a different pickup because the wire would be too short to reach once turned around after original install) or a worker saying FU to his or her employer at the factory.
Having the baby photo of the guitar from the factory, I can def say that pickup was in the correct orientation when leaving the factory floor. Someone flipped this pickup after it left the factory. But as you mentioned, it might be a different pickup then and not the original 61T due to the wire lengths.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
In the evening . That's a beautiful triburst Les Paul. I have the same guitar as you and I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! :)
Thanks! Glad to hear you’re enjoying yours too! These tribursts all look amazing.
I love the top and the feel on mine, Hopefully I can figure out the pickup situation and get to playing soon.

Last edited:

DaveSG

Reaction score
Lefty alert!

I'm going to be joining the club soon, and I'm stoked!

I've been keeping an eye on the new original Les Paul Standard 50's models, but finding the right one in left-handed has been quite the fun challenge, and I more or less had a passing interest in light of the guitars being so few and far in-between. With COVID, they were just trickling in here and there. Peach Guitars (uk) had a few lefties there for a while. Gino's (Italy) had a good looking one that was the lightest I had ever seen (about 8.3lbs according to their scale) but it quickly sold. I've got a picture saved of one that Sam Ash had that I came really, really close to snagging a few months back, until it too sold. Nice top on that one, and just a hair over 9lbs. Southpaw Guitars had one with a nice, really unique top (no idea on weight), and it went quickly, just like all the others.

I figured finding one with a killer top, in lefty, and under 9lbs was just going to be a dream. Not anymore!

Just last night I figured I'd browse around and look to see what was out there...checked Southpaw, Sweetwater, Wildwood, Dave's Guitar (they frequently get new lefties in, to their credit) etc. Was actually looking for a new honeyburst Tribute, and they are just as hard to find in lefty - maybe even moreso. For some reason, I decided to check Zzounds, since I remember them from the days of the last iteration of the Les Paul Standard Faded (ala 2016), just for kicks. Lo and behold, they got in 4 new lefty Standard 50s, and one of them had probably one nicest tops I've seen on one of these new originals, and probably in the best couple of lefties I'd ever seen. Sweetwater had a stellar one a couple months back, but it was a 10lb'er. This one was under 9! I slept on it, thought about it all night, and pulled the trigger this morning. I wish I had saved a picture of it, I'll see if I can find it and post it up, but I'm so stoked. These guitars are tough to find under 9lbs, but then to find one in Lefty, and one that has an awesome top...just so excited to join the club. I had been watching these for a year and a half on the sidelines. I'll be posting pics as soon as it comes.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Thanks man! Cant wait to see your new toy! I got mine at Zzounds but my Slash from Sweetwater.
Yeah, I need to check to see about the shipping time and make sure I'm around when she comes! Zzounds gets pretty top marks from most people who have used them, it was a nice vote of confidence.

I'm primarily an SG guy, but I always seem to be drawn towards LPs and spend most of my time on LP oriented forums. I used to have a '73 LP Custom (left handed) and one of those 2016 plain top Standard fadeds.

The LP Custom had a pretty small neck, so I let it go - in hindsight, I should have kept it, since it was under 10 lbs and sub-10lb Norlin Customs are rare:rofl: The Standard Faded was a fabulous guitar, with an awesome neck, but it was a little silly owning a righty and trying to play lefty. I wasn't used to the more complex tone of the LP, coming from the SGs, and so I think it went a bit unappreciated - but no longer!

Those Slash guitars are pretty sweet - the 'Appetite' lemon finish is my fav of the bunch. Southpaw even has one in lefty at the moment.

DaveSG

Reaction score
To any other lefties looking to jump in the waters, last I looked Zzounds still had these three. The tops on all 3 are very nice and present different flavors/types of flame. The one on the left is very tempting still and has some really cool fretboard grain patterns.

Attachments

Joeallev972

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to check to see about the shipping time and make sure I'm around when she comes! Zzounds gets pretty top marks from most people who have used them, it was a nice vote of confidence.

I'm primarily an SG guy, but I always seem to be drawn towards LPs and spend most of my time on LP oriented forums. I used to have a '73 LP Custom (left handed) and one of those 2016 plain top Standard fadeds.

The LP Custom had a pretty small neck, so I let it go - in hindsight, I should have kept it, since it was under 10 lbs and sub-10lb Norlin Customs are rare:rofl: The Standard Faded was a fabulous guitar, with an awesome neck, but it was a little silly owning a righty and trying to play lefty. I wasn't used to the more complex tone of the LP, coming from the SGs, and so I think it went a bit unappreciated - but no longer!

Those Slash guitars are pretty sweet - the 'Appetite' lemon finish is my fav of the bunch. Southpaw even has one in lefty at the moment.
I'm starting to like the feel of the 50's neck vs my 60's LP. Still waiting for my SG to get here. supposed to be tomorrow now so we will see. I think Sweetwater just doesn't want to stock up on Gibson since their truck was robbed full of special edition LP's

tigerflame

Reaction score
To any other lefties looking to jump in the waters, last I looked Zzounds still had these three. The tops on all 3 are very nice and present different flavors/types of flame. The one on the left is very tempting still and has some really cool fretboard grain patterns.
For me, the one on the right stands out the most. I love it. If I was to change from my own amazing 50s AAA top, it would be to a nice thin flamed cherry like that one.

DaveSG

Reaction score
For me, the one on the right stands out the most. I love it. If I was to change from my own amazing 50s AAA top, it would be to a nice thin flamed cherry like that one.
Just goes to show you, there are all types of beauty, to be appreciated in different ways by different people - I love it. Each of those tops is beautiful in their own way, and each one looks to cover the full face of each guitar.

Got a notification that it should arrive by Thursday if all things are correct. Faster than I was expecting!

Latest Threads