In praise of The New Originals!

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
2020 Gibson Standard Wildwood Select 60’s. Bought before Xmas. I really like it!!
Finish is excellent, but fretboard could be a little nicer. Overall , very pleased with the new Gibsons. Much, much better than the last several years!
What's wrong with the fretboard ?

Wright63

Reaction score
Just me being picky I guess. Nothing wrong at all as far a playability. It plays and sounds great!!! But aesthetically it has some open grain and tooling marks that left small voids down one side and it also wasn't sanded very well. The sanding part was an easy fix. Its not noticeable unless you're looking for it, but compared to my other rosewood fretboards, its not as nice. Apples to oranges really, but the fretboard on the '89 Epi is a lot nicer and vs the PRS Core, its not even close. Overall I'm extremely happy with the guitar though!!! I would still recommend one.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just me being picky I guess. Nothing wrong at all as far a playability. It plays and sounds great!!! But aesthetically it has some open grain and tooling marks that left small voids down one side and it also wasn't sanded very well. The sanding part was an easy fix. Its not noticeable unless you're looking for it, but compared to my other rosewood fretboards, its not as nice. Apples to oranges really, but the fretboard on the '89 Epi is a lot nicer and vs the PRS Core, its not even close. Overall I'm extremely happy with the guitar though!!! I would still recommend one.
They all have something if we look hard enough.... i wouldn't sweat it. Looks really great in the pics.

redking

Reaction score
I’ve heard Gibson dealers are fully out of stock with the current production USA models. For example, Sweetwater has no stock. Something is amiss at Gibson.
ya, the highest levels of demand they have ever had in their existence have outpaced their production - even at the highest level of production they have ever had. that's not "amiss" - it's the basic economics of supply and demand. If the stores were full of Gibsons and they couldn't give them away, then you would say something was "amiss"

integra evan

Reaction score
I’ve heard Gibson dealers are fully out of stock with the current production USA models. For example, Sweetwater has no stock. Something is amiss at Gibson.
Every industry has taken quite the hit with supply and demand over the past year.
That being said, my local music store has a good stock of Gibsons right now.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2020-2021 production rollover.
Sweetwater is selling 1000 guitars per day. Both Fender and Gibson are reporting record sales. They simply can't keep up with production, particularly with the production slowdown/delays during the lock downs.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Unburst is extraordinary !! :naughty:

jskidder

Reaction score
That Unburst is extraordinary !! :naughty:
Thanks. It's got a really active top but for some reason, it doesn't really photograph all that well, especially indoors.

In fact, when I was picking one out they had just gotten a big shipment and I think there were 7 or 8 to choose from. This one was at the very bottom of my list, but luckily the WW staff insisted that it was the best top of the bunch and sent me this pic that they took outside the shop. That sealed the deal for me.

killer top..jpg

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's got a really active top but for some reason, it doesn't really photograph all that well, especially indoors.

In fact, when I was picking one out they had just gotten a big shipment and I think there were 7 or 8 to choose from. This one was at the very bottom of my list, but luckily the WW staff insisted that it was the best top of the bunch and sent me this pic that they took outside the shop. That sealed the deal for me.

View attachment 521079

My Appetite burst slash flame top doesn't photograph well either.... I bought it from wildwood as well and had them send me normal photos too. Killer guitar.

Wright63

Reaction score
Took a few pics. Like I said, probably just me being picky. But for what they cost..... lol. They are deep enough to catch a finger nail. It looked a little worse before I sanded it a little.
All and all, I’m happy with the direction Gibson is going. Much better than the 2016 Les Paul Standard I sold In August

Attachments

redking

Reaction score
Took a few pics. Like I said, probably just me being picky. But for what they cost..... lol. They are deep enough to catch a finger nail. It looked a little worse before I sanded it a little.
All and all, I’m happy with the direction Gibson is going. Much better than the 2016 Les Paul Standard I sold In August
Actually, you have a right to be unhappy with that. There should not be any tearout. I wonder if that could be patched by a luthier? (sawdust and CA glue?)

Wright63

Reaction score
Actually, you have a right to be unhappy with that. There should not be any tearout. I wonder if that could be patched by a luthier? (sawdust and CA glue?)
I don’t know. I have some glue.... but no sawdust lol.
Doesn’t affect playability and it’s not that noticeable, probably won’t mess with it. I really do like the guitar other than that. It’s a keeper for now. And unbeknownst to me until after I got It, it was born on my birthday lol

redking

Reaction score
I don’t know. I have some glue.... but no sawdust lol.
Doesn’t affect playability and it’s not that noticeable, probably won’t mess with it. I really do like the guitar other than that. It’s a keeper for now. And unbeknownst to me until after I got It, it was born on my birthday lol
perhaps it can be addressed on your first refret if you play the hell out of those frets :)

tigerflame

Reaction score
Nice! Mine was 21 days later! Is this a AAA Iced Tea?
Yep. I first got a 60s with an AA top (albeit a pretty good one) but I wanted the neck of the 50s and the rounder pickups. I wasn't sold on any of the AAAs I was seeing at the closest store but I took a shot and went to a different location. Lo and behold, this magnificent guitar was hanging there. The store employee who showed it to me said it was the most beautiful guitar in the store, and I agreed. Needless to say it wasn't in the store for long as I snatched it up that day. The top is so incredibly unique compared to anything I've seen, I've yet to see another that I would trade for it. Even ones that cost ten times the price.

Latest Threads