In praise of The New Originals!

redking

Reaction score
Excellent find! Beautiful top, sub-9lbs, and what looks to be a one piece back. Congrats!
Thanks! Hopefully she plays as good as she looks :) I normally hate making a purchase of this magnitude without trying it, but I need something to keep me motivated thru the rest of the pandemic, so this will help. Plus I got a price reduction from the store based on pure luck - the other day prices on all the Standard models (in Canada) went down by $200 out of the blue but not the special edition AAA models so I asked the store if they would apply the price reduction to this one also and they did.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Hopefully she plays as good as she looks :) I normally hate making a purchase of this magnitude without trying it, but I need something to keep me motivated thru the rest of the pandemic, so this will help. Plus I got a price reduction from the store based on pure luck - the other day prices on all the Standard models (in Canada) went down by $200 out of the blue but not the special edition AAA models so I asked the store if they would apply the price reduction to this one also and they did.
Thats the best spec for the OS standard IMO.... AAA iced tea 50's.... Thrilled with mine, wait till you see it in person..... very cool vibe to that finish. Does yours have the 57 classic's in her ?

redking

Reaction score
Thats the best spec for the OS standard IMO.... AAA iced tea 50's.... Thrilled with mine, wait till you see it in person..... very cool vibe to that finish. Does yours have the 57 classic's in her ?
According to the Long&McQuade site it's the Burstbuckers. I will give these pickups a chance and then go from there.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
2020 Standard 50s AAA top - Iced Tea Burst has arrived.
Just brought her in the house - will let her sit for a day or 2 to acclimate before I give her a good test drive. First impressions - very impressed, exceeds my expectations. The weight is perfect (supposed to be 8.8 lbs), neck size will work very nicely for me - maybe a hair smaller than an LP Special type of guitar that I play quite often. The colour is just how I like a sunburst to look (Iced Tea Burst - looks more red in person than most online photos). The colour of the cherry on the back is gorgeous too. Nice loud acoustic sound when strummed.
The last 2 LP's I owned did not do it for me, so I was apprehensive to give it another shot with an LP and glad I waited for the Original Collection. IIRC, I had a '99 Classic 60's and an '03-'05 Standard - both had the thin taper necks which felt awful to me. The Classic was a boat anchor - probably close to 11 lbs. The Standard had no sustain at all. This is a far superior guitar to both of those. Might have to buy another one lol! :slash:
20210220_173254.jpg

20210220_173215.jpg

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
2020 Standard 50s AAA top - Iced Tea Burst has arrived.
Just brought her in the house - will let her sit for a day or 2 to acclimate before I give her a good test drive. First impressions - very impressed, exceeds my expectations. The weight is perfect (supposed to be 8.8 lbs), neck size will work very nicely for me - maybe a hair smaller than an LP Special type of guitar that I play quite often. The colour is just how I like a sunburst to look (Iced Tea Burst - looks more red in person than most online photos). The colour of the cherry on the back is gorgeous too. Nice loud acoustic sound when strummed.
The last 2 LP's I owned did not do it for me, so I was apprehensive to give it another shot with an LP and glad I waited for the Original Collection. IIRC, I had a '99 Classic 60's and an '03-'05 Standard - both had the thin taper necks which felt awful to me. The Classic was a boat anchor - probably close to 11 lbs. The Standard had no sustain at all. This is a far superior guitar to both of those. Might have to buy another one lol! :slash:
View attachment 520868
View attachment 520867

Glad she arrived safe and sound, Congrats on a sweet new LPS50 !!! Mine is more of a dark brown burst, amazing how much variation Gibsons can have in regards to color finish. I think the 50's Iced Tea Burst is the best of them all IMO, but i'm biased.

redking

Reaction score
Glad she arrived safe and sound, Congrats on a sweet new LPS50 !!! Mine is more of a dark brown burst, amazing how much variation Gibsons can have in regards to color finish. I think the 50's Iced Tea Burst is the best of them all IMO, but i'm biased.
judging by how red the lining in my case looks compared to yours, I think my photo makes it all look a little more red than it really is

JMP

Reaction score
I’ve heard Gibson dealers are fully out of stock with the current production USA models. For example, Sweetwater has no stock. Something is amiss at Gibson.

Wright63

Reaction score
2020 Gibson Standard Wildwood Select 60’s. Bought before Xmas. I really like it!!
Finish is excellent, but fretboard could be a little nicer. Overall , very pleased with the new Gibsons. Much, much better than the last several years!
D6C65ED8-1997-4EE1-A679-0EF37AA005C6.jpeg
9EFFBEF9-8278-4ABA-8745-37E149E1EE6B.jpeg
732EB937-4CC9-4C26-A49A-3588184451C4.png
681AAFAE-56F0-44C6-9C92-BD3E39A3854D.jpeg

sonar1

Reaction score
Does this thread title remind anybody ELSE of David Bowie’s “Young Americans?”

“...New originals - new originals - she wants the new originals!...”

Latest Threads