In praise of The New Originals!

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a Wildwood special type deal? That looks unreal!

I'd go with a WW Select or one of those AAA exclusives Sweetwater and other retailers offer.... i think it is worth the couple hundred on top....if you want a nice top....:naughty:

redking

Reaction score
I'd go with a WW Select or one of those AAA exclusives Sweetwater and other retailers offer.... i think it is worth the couple hundred on top....if you want a nice top....:naughty:
Yeah, Long & McQuade has the AAA exclusives - I'm getting my local store to send me some pics and the weight of the one they have in stock too but it's really pushing my "goodwill" budget at home lol.

redking

Reaction score
Nope it wasn't! Just a regular one that I hopped on because the top was awesome and it was light weight
What is the weight on that one? The big problem I had with my last LP years ago was it was way over 10 lbs and the neck was too skinny. I won't make that mistake this time.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the WW Select are more like $800 or so higher than the Originals.

Don't get me wrong... General WW stock is typically top-notch, even if you aren't getting the Select, but I thought the WW Select were all Custom Shop models where WW picked the source woods.

redking

Reaction score

Don't get me wrong... General WW stock is typically top-notch, even if you aren't getting the Select, but I thought the WW Select were all Custom Shop models where WW picked the source woods.
For the L&M AAA models, they are $200 Cdn more, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Wildwood selects were at an even higher level - they always seem to have amazing tops when I watch Greg Koch vids. For the Canadian market, I would assume that L&M probably felt like that was as high as they could go because after the exchange rate, it's a really expensive guitar for us. (L&M is not only a dealer, they are also the Canadian distributor for Gibson - so they have a good sense of the market I would think)

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are 2800

TheWelder

Reaction score
They are 2800
This is correct, WW has a Select line of Original LP Standards at $2799. They have 'select tops' and different pickups than the regular production run. I think they are only offering 60s Standards in the WW Select line right now.

FWIW, I got my WW Select Standard 50s for $2500 by dealing with someone directly via phone and email. Didn't even ask for discount, it was just offered. Never hurts to deal with someone on a person to person basis...i.e., the old fashioned way.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is correct, WW has a Select line of Original LP Standards at $2799. They have 'select tops' and different pickups than the regular production run. I think they are only offering 60s Standards in the WW Select line right now.

FWIW, I got my WW Select Standard 50s for $2500 by dealing with someone directly via phone and email. Didn't even ask for discount, it was just offered. Never hurts to deal with someone on a person to person basis...i.e., the old fashioned way.
Yea WW will make deals.... Bruce is the guy i ask for, He always knocks something off.

redking

Reaction score
So the ones I'm looking at range from 9 to 9.2 lbs - to me that seems like an average weight for a standard - what do you guys think?

TheWelder

Reaction score
So the ones I'm looking at range from 9 to 9.2 lbs - to me that seems like an average weight for a standard - what do you guys think?
I haven't seen many Original Standards come in at less than 9 lbs. I'm sure there are some out there, but they aren't common. I think 9.5 is around average for these.

vonasemj

Reaction score
I picked up two around last March. The Standard 50’s is a WW Select I found used like new for just over $2k and it weighs in at 8 lbs 14 oz. now if I could just find a similar deal on an original collection ES-335/345.

B1578613-9B5C-4E57-BDF2-DD16AD09866D.jpeg

Injector

Reaction score
9-10lbs is the nominal weight for USA non-weight relieved Les Paul Standards. I have one that is 9lbs 2oz and sold one that was 10lbs 8oz!
It's rare that you'll find one significantly under 9lbs.

Latest Threads