In memory of the 2015's - this time the JRs

cherrick

Reaction score
Man, remember the 2015 Gibson Les Paul JR SC's? I own 2 of them, a sunburst and a cherry. Both have had their robotuners replaced by old-school Klusons. I consider these to be among the best Gibson off-shoots.

Would I prefer to have a Lukas Nelson '56 SC? Sure, but not by much. (note the 'k').

I think the world of the P90's Gibson put into the "2015's".

I think there were 2015 SG's and 2015 '335's, if I'm not wrong.

What I wish I could own would be a TV Yellow 2015 DC JR. I don't think Gibson made a 2015 DC JR, did they?

And, of course, the one (single cut) I don't have (TV Yellow) and still with the robo-tuners:
https://reverb.com/item/36854546-gibson-les-paul-junior-2015-tv-yellow

I still think the 2015's were under-appreciated and priced to make great deals. Especially if you swapped the tuners.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

LocoTex

Reaction score
I had a different reaction from yours.

I had always wanted a Junior, so when Sam Ash blew them out for $479 I snapped one up. It was beautifully built, and had the nicest rosewood fretboard I've ever seen. Just a wonderfully built guitar.

I thought I would be able to get used to the wide, flat on the back neck. I couldn't. I tried to warm up to the slug P90, but I couldn't. Traded it for a Telecaster.

If they had made a more traditional Junior I would have loved it. I didn't even mind the brass zero fret and the scrawly signature on the headstock. It was a real opportunity on Gibson's part to hit it out of the park and they whiffed it.

cherrick

Reaction score
I had a different reaction from yours.

I had always wanted a Junior, so when Sam Ash blew them out for $479 I snapped one up. It was beautifully built, and had the nicest rosewood fretboard I've ever seen. Just a wonderfully built guitar.

I thought I would be able to get used to the wide, flat on the back neck. I couldn't. I tried to warm up to the slug P90, but I couldn't. Traded it for a Telecaster.

If they had made a more traditional Junior I would have loved it. I didn't even mind the brass zero fret and the scrawly signature on the headstock. It was a real opportunity on Gibson's part to hit it out of the park and they whiffed it.
Acknowledged.

The P90 would be an easy swap. But not the neck profile.

smk506

Reaction score
I think the 2015’s are just fine, if you like them. My ‘15 all mahogany traditional with the biggest neck I’ve ever played is a keeper. Sounds great, looks great, plays phenomenally well and that’s what counts.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy with a 2019 or 2020 Jr, new or used. I have one Gibson with BBs, one with mini hums and all the rest are single coils. I'm good with any guitar with P-90s or Tele/Jazzmaster pups.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite thing about my 2015 Junior is the neck. I really like the wide fretboard. Mine has Ratio tuners which are excellent, and the free replacement titanium nut. My only complaint is the pots are really tough to turn. I've sprayed Deoxit in them a few times over the years. I got mine for $450 including the OHSC.

-Jay

redcoats1976

Reaction score
ibought mine for $379,no case.robotuners had been replaced before i bought it.to this day its probably the best playing guitar i own

Telechamp

Reaction score
I got one of the 2015 LP Special Double Cuts for $599 at the GC Labor Day sale of that year. I also love the alnico slug P90's in this one. Yes, it's got that wide, flat neck, but I'm one of those that like the neck. But I get that some don't.

But man, it sounds and plays great. G-Force tuners still work great. And if the G-Force ever does fail, I'll just throw some Grovers on it.

Latest Threads