In market for a new Amp...

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hello friends

It is just as simple as title says... I am starting the journey for a new amp..
My Laney IRT Studio did the job for the past few years but now I am done with it.. It has been just used as a power amp now for more than a year

I am looking for a real tone.. I lean towards Marshall as I am a Rock/Metal guy..

As usual, I am in Egypt so options are always very limited.. My eyes are on the JVM 50 Watt amp.. unlikely both head and combo versions are available.. I lean towards the head/cab one... besides the fact that it looks better to me, it is slightly used so I can make a good deal in it...

Any insights or points of concern on this amp guys?

BBD785D9-24D8-42DC-AB41-83542C87EDFF.jpeg

Mockbel

Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with that one, Brother Mock. But dang, it's gonna be LOUD!!!
Yeah I played this particular one in the picture at a friend’s house... it was beautiful but very loud.. I wonder if I can get that tone with lower Master volume.. otherwise, attenuator would be a must !

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Mockbel
Yes, while that JVM is certainly capable of being quite "LOUD" the beauty is that most of the tone, overdrive and didtortion can be achieved in the preamp section and is not fully dependent on overdriving the power tubes. There are many fans of the JVM series, overall! They also seem to have a good history of reliability!
Just My $.02,
Gene

mdubya

Reaction score
From what I have heard (meaning I have listened to them) the JVM's are very versatile, capable of going from classic rock to well into metal territory.

The metal I like is more of the 70's variety and I prefer those tones to anything that sounds modern, so classic amps and pickups and old school pedals are how I get those tones.

The Friedman BE Deluxe really appeals to me, being very versatile with a Fender Blackface channel (which sounds really good) and rhythm and lead channels. I don't usually like multi channel amps, but that might be another one to consider.

Are you playing out, live?

Mockbel

Reaction score
From what I have heard (meaning I have listened to them) the JVM's are very versatile, capable of going from classic rock to well into metal territory.

The metal I like is more of the 70's variety and I prefer those tones to anything that sounds modern, so classic amps and pickups and old school pedals are how I get those tones.

The Friedman BE Deluxe really appeals to me, being very versatile with a Fender Blackface channel (which sounds really good) and rhythm and lead channels. I don't usually like multi channel amps, but that might be another one to consider.

Are you playing out, live?
I am a 100% bedroom player.. no band.. no gigs.. very rare jamming and I never take the amp out of my house.. I want a big amp just as a treat to myself rather than buying guitars and guitars :)

There is a Friedman here in Egypt as well but it is 100 head and very expensive

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I am a 100% bedroom player.. no band.. no gigs.. very rare jamming and I never take the amp out of my house.. I want a big amp just as a treat to myself rather than buying guitars and guitars :)
FINALLY......

A guy that's a bedroom player and says he wants a big amp just because.

None of the usual trying to justify 100 watts in a small space like others. No recommend me a small bedroom amp while I run out and get a half stack.

Just because.

No waffling.

I like.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Snag that Friedman, if you can get a good deal on it!

And rock the block! :jam:

RAG7890

Reaction score

There is a Friedman here in Egypt as well but it is 100 head and very expensive
Friedman BE100 (if that is the one) works great with a Volume Pedal in the Loop, you can easily play it at home.

We do this at a Guitar Show every year & you can still talk over it.

The other Friedman worth looking at it possibly the Dirty Shirley but may not get you all the way there for Metal.

Good luck M.

You need to rock that sucker out near the Pyramids. ;)

:cheers2:

rabidhamster

Reaction score
JVM sounds like a good choice, they’re good sounding amps. I also really like the older DSL amps a lot, you can do blues to metal no problem.
TSL isn’t bad but I don’t like the third channel unmodded so I personally prefer DSL. Haven’t owned a JVM So I can’t help as much but they do seem to sound nice in the stores.

I’d also go for head and cab,it’ll have more of the low mid punch from the closed back cabinet and the preamp tubes will last longer from less direct vibration. Also a little easier to move split into two like that.

If you ask me 50 watts for a really high gain amp won’t be too bad. If you want a cranked power section tone you will need an attenuator but that amp should also sound good at Somewhat bedroom volumes.

mdubya

Reaction score
Now I am going to be that guy. o_O

Buy a Marshall speaker cabinet. And then buy and AX FX lll and the studio monitors of your choice to set on top of the Marshall cabinet. You wil probably want the foot controller, too. Then you will have all of the most desirable amps you can dream of in one box and they will sound amazing at any volume. And it will look cool sitting on top of the classic Marshall cab.

You will have Bogner, Friedman, Mesa, Marshall, Orange, Diezel, Soldano, Carol Ann, Trainwreck, Dumble, and more all in one box.

My apologies for being that guy! :oops:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

Buy a Marshall speaker cabinet. And then buy and AX FX lll and the studio monitors of your choice to set on top of the Marshall cabinet. You wil probably want the foot controller, too. Then you will have all of the most desirable amps you can dream of in one box and they will sound amazing at any volume. And it will look cool sitting on top of the classic Marshall cab.

You will have Bogner, Friedman, Mesa, Marshall, Orange, Diezel, Soldano, Carol Ann, Trainwreck, Dumble, and more all in one box.

M, I sometimes wish I could go the route. I’m fortunate, but dang, the cost to be setup for my needs (processor, foot controller, volume pedal and FSFR speaker) is still $5000 plus up here with the exchange rate. (This is what it cost my former lead player).

HOWEVER, those Line 6 units look sweet! One day, I’ll get there!

Mockbel

Reaction score

This will happen one day sooner or later... but not yet.. not yet :)

mdubya

Reaction score
M, I sometimes wish I could go the route. I’m fortunate, but dang, the cost to be setup for my needs (processor, foot controller, volume pedal and FSFR speaker) is still $5000 plus up here with the exchange rate. (This is what it cost my former lead player).

HOWEVER, those Line 6 units look sweet! One day, I’ll get there!
I am working with old technology these days with the AX8. I have spent bucket loads more, but my current set up is ~ $1400 between the AX8 and the Presonus monitors, at full retail. Still nothing to sniff at.

I think retail on the FM3 is $999. And it does headphones and acts as an interface, which the AX8 does not do.

I don't know how I would deal with gigging in a band at this point, but for pure at home playing pleasure, I couldn't ask for much more. I have the means, but I am content. :thumbs:

This will happen one day sooner or later... but not yet.. not yet :)
I fully support getting the whole amp thing out of your system. I wouldn't enjoy my AX8 nearly as much if I did not have the experience of gigging live and loud with a real amp for as many years as I could stand listening to myself.

I will say, the experience of having so many tones and possibilities at impossibly reasonable volumes is absolutely liberating.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
@Mockbel , I think you owe it to yourself to go at least try the Friedman. I love their amps' sound on albums and the BE-OD pedal is amazing.

Latest Threads