In-Depth Tonerider Rocksong Review

LP1865

Reaction score
I bought a set of these in late August after a lot of speculation and research. They appeared to be priced very conveniently, and the reviews were overall. However, I found the lack of in depth review of this particular model very frustating, and am hence writing one myself after using these pickups for a duration of 3 months.

A brief about these pickups from the Tonerider website:-
"Used by some of the world’s leading custom guitar makers, our Rocksong set is the perfect “hybrid-vintage” set.

This set retains 100% of the boutique hand-wound tone that players demand.

The neck pickup is smooth and sustainful – perfect everything from jazz to distortion saturated rock. The bridge pickup is based on a super-charged PAF, offering power and dynamics with a clear top end.

The all-round vintage-improved package – great sustain, smooth, powerful, with the brightness and tonal complexity of boutique handwound pickups."

Before ordering this set, I sent an email to Tonerider asking whether these pickups suffer from an excess of mids due to the bridge pickup's extremely overwound nature. I was awarded with an extremely quick and convincing reply from the people at Tonerider, assuring me that the pickups were articulate and had not been reported to have an excess of the middle frequencies. They were absolutely right.

I ordered the complete set without covers from the Tonerider website for a total of 82.5 GBP or 92.75 USD, shipped to India. The pickups arrived within 2 weeks via Royal Mail. Enough proof that these are budget friendly while also being easy to acquire, especially for someone living outside Europe or the US.

The pickups are made in Eastern China, very close to Hong Kong. Many may not be comfortable with this in light of recent events, but I was fine with it, especially because I was on a tight budget and it is a British company.

The pickups arrived in a secure cardboard packaging, and the pickups themselves sat in individual plastic boxes. Each box housed a single pickup, along with mounting screws, styrofoam padding, a simple wiring diagram, and some other essential paperwork. A nice touch.

The bobbins are made of ABS plastic and the baseplates appear to be made of nickel/zinc alloy. The screws and slugs appear to be made of steel, not nickel, which is fine I guess. The wires seem quality, and overall QC is excellent.

I installed these with CTS pots with coil split. The wiring was easy and the wires have adequate length. i played the guitar for a few moments, and decided to adjust the screws. Lowering the treble screws, some wax came out. I'm not sure if this is a bad thing, but at least it has some good wax potting. Honestly, i couldn't care less, but some people are extremely picky and they should probably know.

The neck pickup is pretty articulate, sounds amazing, pretty PAF like. Cleans up very well, and is very articulate. I find it good for soloing, and especially blues. Rolling down the volume makes it even smoother. As mentioned int the description, the neck can do anything from jazz to blistering high gain solos. I played a jazz piece for my music school recording, and it came out great. Love the neck.

The bridge is something different altogether. Its very open and articulate, almost loose. Open and nice. Nothing super modern. And has a very balanced frequency response with a hint of rounded treble. No excess mids as stated by Tonerider Customer Care. It cleans up very well, with a lot of sparkle. Rhythm work is easy, but requires some gain. This pickup is not high output by any means. But the real fun begins when placed in a moderate gain situation (think Ozzy, Sabbath, DIO). it stands out. very articulate and open. The harmonics are very prominent. I just love it.

Move to a tad higher gain (think Metallica) it retains its clarity but saturating beautifully. Its not tight by any means, but I like it. If you want something thats tight and built for djent look elsewhere. If you want a pickup that retains clarity and saturates in a smooth form, I suggest this.

Overall I am very impressed with this set. I couldn't find a single problem with this set. I hope this review helped people interested in this set.

Disclaimer:- This is an opinion and must be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I am not affiliated to Tonerider in any way and am definitely not endorsed by them.

PS tones coming soon

HogmanA

Reaction score
Great review, looking forward to some clips.
I have the alnico 4 set from tonerider. Tonerider are great pickups and I love the way they split. Very musical, I use it more than half the time.
I nearly went with the rocksong set too and was just a toss up between the two sets really.

AJK1

Reaction score
I bought a set of these in late August after a lot of speculation and research. They appeared to be priced very conveniently, and the reviews were overall. However, I found the lack of in depth review of this particular model very frustating, and am hence writing one myself after using these pickups for a duration of 3 months.

A brief about these pickups from the Tonerider website:-
"Used by some of the world’s leading custom guitar makers, our Rocksong set is the perfect “hybrid-vintage” set.

This set retains 100% of the boutique hand-wound tone that players demand.

The neck pickup is smooth and sustainful – perfect everything from jazz to distortion saturated rock. The bridge pickup is based on a super-charged PAF, offering power and dynamics with a clear top end.

The all-round vintage-improved package – great sustain, smooth, powerful, with the brightness and tonal complexity of boutique handwound pickups."

Before ordering this set, I sent an email to Tonerider asking whether these pickups suffer from an excess of mids due to the bridge pickup's extremely overwound nature. I was awarded with an extremely quick and convincing reply from the people at Tonerider, assuring me that the pickups were articulate and had not been reported to have an excess of the middle frequencies. They were absolutely right.

I ordered the complete set without covers from the Tonerider website for a total of 82.5 GBP or 92.75 USD, shipped to India. The pickups arrived within 2 weeks via Royal Mail. Enough proof that these are budget friendly while also being easy to acquire, especially for someone living outside Europe or the US.

The pickups are made in Eastern China, very close to Hong Kong. Many may not be comfortable with this in light of recent events, but I was fine with it, especially because I was on a tight budget and it is a British company.

The pickups arrived in a secure cardboard packaging, and the pickups themselves sat in individual plastic boxes. Each box housed a single pickup, along with mounting screws, styrofoam padding, a simple wiring diagram, and some other essential paperwork. A nice touch.

The bobbins are made of ABS plastic and the baseplates appear to be made of nickel/zinc alloy. The screws and slugs appear to be made of steel, not nickel, which is fine I guess. The wires seem quality, and overall QC is excellent.

I installed these with CTS pots with coil split. The wiring was easy and the wires have adequate length. i played the guitar for a few moments, and decided to adjust the screws. Lowering the treble screws, some wax came out. I'm not sure if this is a bad thing, but at least it has some good wax potting. Honestly, i couldn't care less, but some people are extremely picky and they should probably know.

The neck pickup is pretty articulate, sounds amazing, pretty PAF like. Cleans up very well, and is very articulate. I find it good for soloing, and especially blues. Rolling down the volume makes it even smoother. As mentioned int the description, the neck can do anything from jazz to blistering high gain solos. I played a jazz piece for my music school recording, and it came out great. Love the neck.

The bridge is something different altogether. Its very open and articulate, almost loose. Open and nice. Nothing super modern. And has a very balanced frequency response with a hint of rounded treble. No excess mids as stated by Tonerider Customer Care. It cleans up very well, with a lot of sparkle. Rhythm work is easy, but requires some gain. This pickup is not high output by any means. But the real fun begins when placed in a moderate gain situation (think Ozzy, Sabbath, DIO). it stands out. very articulate and open. The harmonics are very prominent. I just love it.

Move to a tad higher gain (think Metallica) it retains its clarity but saturating beautifully. Its not tight by any means, but I like it. If you want something thats tight and built for djent look elsewhere. If you want a pickup that retains clarity and saturates in a smooth form, I suggest this.

Overall I am very impressed with this set. I couldn't find a single problem with this set. I hope this review helped people interested in this set.

Disclaimer:- This is an opinion and must be taken with a grain of salt. Also, I am not affiliated to Tonerider in any way and am definitely not endorsed by them.

PS tones coming soon
What amp do you play through ?

Latest Threads