In Depth Analysis Of Kossoff's 59

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Just stumbled across this great article concerning Kossoff's burst. Or one of them, at least. Some new pictures with lots of close ups! The pictures actually show a lot of red left in the burst compared to most other pictures. I would love to see something like this of his stripped burst. Rumour has it that was bought after Koss died and repainted black. Such a shame.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! Koss is my main influence.

Paul Right Now: Paul Kossoff's 1959 Gibson Les Paul up close - Guitar & Bass | Guitar & Bass

Gmal

Reaction score
Good read about a great guitar. Thanks!

Stoj

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing WLI :dude:

rclausen

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Does the tailpiece look like a wrap tail instead of a stop tail?

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Does the tailpiece look like a wrap tail instead of a stop tail?

It is. I believe he got it from a late 50's/ early 60's junior. I'm pretty sure it actually belonged to Peter Green.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Any info on his other "burst"? Mr. Big

He had at least four, possibly five that I know of. He had the darkburst which he got in a trade from Clapton, his stripped burst which he used for the IOW festival, the one in this thread and one, which many know as" The Beast". Now owned by Bernie Marsden. Koss actually owned it for a while before Bernie got it. I don't believe there are any pictures, though. He also owned one with a bigsby. Although, this could possibly of been the stripped burst as that once had a bigsby.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
That one he got in a trade with Clapton on the Blind Faith US tour. I believe it's a 58. He swapped it for a 3 pickup custom. Paul Rogers took ownership after Koss died. It was sold in a charity auction in 2000 I think.

rclausen

Reaction score
It is. I believe he got it from a late 50's/ early 60's junior. I'm pretty sure it actually belonged to Peter Green.

I thought so but was thrown off by a quote in the article. "The tailpiece is the original, lightweight aluminium unit, and it looks great on this guitar."

Drew1986

Reaction score
Very cool. I'd love to see the same sort of info for the stripped burst he had.

ReiGnMaN

Reaction score
Just stumbled across this great article concerning Kossoff's burst. Or one of them, at least. Some new pictures with lots of close ups! The pictures actually show a lot of red left in the burst compared to most other pictures. I would love to see something like this of his stripped burst. Rumour has it that was bought after Koss died and repainted black. Such a shame.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! Koss is my main influence.

Paul Right Now: Paul Kossoff's 1959 Gibson Les Paul up close - Guitar & Bass | Guitar & Bass

Such an unmderated player.... The Stealer!:dude:

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good read ...thanx for posting :)

saxosim

Reaction score
Great article thanks for sharing. I was lucky enough to recently meet Arthur the owner of this Kossoff burst and I got to hold it and it's an amazing peice of his music history and the fact it is a 59 Les paul and once owned by one of my favourite players ever left me speechless. An amazing hour getting to hear it and look at it close up and personal was an honour. :)

Latest Threads