In defense of the "humble" SD '59

HorseNonsense

Reaction score
Nice! What do you have it in? I just took the '59n out of my new Edwards singlecut. It wasn't really doing it for me but maybe I should try some magnet swaps.
LP Tribute, stock PCB, GHS flat 12s (+plain g). The UOA5 restores the mids at the expense of the prominent bass.

BKS

Reaction score
LP Tribute, stock PCB, GHS flat 12s (+plain g). The UOA5 restores the mids at the expense of the prominent bass.
Nice might get that done with mine. Like how it sounds.

akuster777

Reaction score
I also really like the sound of the Duncan 59 neck as well as Seth Lover neck and bridge pups.

Kludging info together from the SD website, apparently the following pickups are currently wound on the Leesona he got from the Gibson Kalamazoo factory:

59 neck (7.6k DCR, A5, wax potted)
59 bridge (8.2k, A5, wax potted)
Pearly Gates neck (7.3k, A2, wax potted)
Pearly Gates bridge (8.1k, A2, wax potted)
Seth Lover neck (7.4k, 2.5" A2, no wax, 42AWG enamel wire, butyrate bobbins)
Seth Lover bridge (8.3k, 2.5" A2, no wax, 42AWG enamel, butyrate bobbins)
Antiquity neck (7.7k, aged 2.5" A2, no wax, 42AWG enamel, butyrate bobbins)
Antiquity bridge (8.6k, aged 2.5" A2, no wax, 42AWG enamel, butyrate bobbins)

Unsure whether these are wound on the Leesona:

59 trembucker (8.5k, A5, wax potted)
Pearly Gates trembucker (8.8k, A2, wax potted)

SD has Gibson's original Leesona, @ThroBak has two others: https://www.pafhumbucker.com/leesona102-paf-pickups.html

Does anyone know when Duncan got that Leesona? Did SD make 59s on a different winder before that time?

Do all these pickups have the same coil geometry (turns per layer, tension, and so on) and does the DCR simply vary because of the number of winds?

Just curious, and I expect some people here might know the answers....

Best wishes,

Andrew

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Do all these pickups have the same coil geometry (turns per layer, tension, and so on) and does the DCR simply vary because of the number of winds?

Just curious, and I expect some people here might know the answers....

Best wishes,

Andrew
I don't know if I've ever seen that info published, but those models sound different enough that it wouldn't matter to me.

Razzle

Reaction score
This is very timely for me. I have a semi-hollow (like a McCarty) that I got two SD 59 PUs for, except I got the Vintage Blues set. The reason I got those is I like the blackouts of the bobbins for this particular guitar, I saw they were basically the same as the 59's except they're matched (and look different). -- If anyone has experience with these vs the regular 59's please let me know, haven't opened the pkg yet. Was thinking of just getting the gold 59's, which I would consider if I could get a set at a decent price, the VB's for some reason were like 50 less for the set.

I think I would like a bit of a hotter bridge, but I don't want to sacrifice clarity (the 59's seem great in both positions). But since these are going in a semi-hollow, and I was considering putting them in my new FF338 (which is a great guitar), I probably will stick with the dual 59 VB's for now. But if I were putting these in one of my LPs I would definately consider one of those SD sets mentioned above!

BKS

Reaction score
Stupid question.... Any difference between older and newer ones? The '59 bridge i have is a little older, no seymour duncan on the bobbins, same as my JB and double whammy.

freefrog

Reaction score
Stupid question.... Any difference between older and newer ones? The '59 bridge i have is a little older, no seymour duncan on the bobbins, same as my JB and double whammy.
See the answer 14.

Reactions: BKS