In 2022, what is the best cheaper LP to buy for a '59 spec rebuild?

vanguard

Reaction score
I'm wanting to buy an affordable Les Paul that has all the important details to rebuild it into a decent 1959 replica. I'm talking all solid woods, decent neck profile, etc. I don't care about hardware, pickups, etc. because I'll be replacing all of them anyway. I'll be stripping and refinishing, possibly reshaping top, headstock, etc. I'm wondering if it's best to go older Japan or Korea, more recent Chinese, or something else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Threads I find that cover topics like this all seem to be at least a few years old

ARandall

Reaction score
Short answer - none of them, if you actually want something to make any kind of 59 replica......let alone a 'decent' one.

Go for a Precision kit, that way you get the right woods, it is already stripped and you might only need headstock work.
You are only paying for the wood rather than the other (hardware) bits you'll be discarding anyhow, plus you have some choices with regard to neck profiles and other important aspects like bridge and tailpiece hole sizes. You also save on stripping and you might be able to choose with wood figure.

vanguard

Reaction score
Short answer - none of them, if you actually want something to make any kind of 59 replica......let alone a 'decent' one.

Go for a Precision kit, that way you get the right woods, it is already stripped and you might only need headstock work.
You are only paying for the wood rather than the other (hardware) bits you'll be discarding anyhow, plus you have some choices with regard to neck profiles and other important aspects like bridge and tailpiece hole sizes. You also save on stripping and you might be able to choose with wood figure.
I was wondering about this. Looks like byoguitar has really specific options. Any thoughts on them vs precision?

ARandall

Reaction score
BYO guitar was directly responsible for me deciding to build myself - as in even without having tried to build a guitar I knew I could do a better job than them.
Their Les Paul I bought had a 1mm gap in the joint from body to neck which they described as 'just needing some finish sanding to make right'. I had to do so much work I needed to re-rout the neck pickup area as the tenon cut (which is supposed to be flush to the body rout) now was protruding so far the pickup wouldn't fit in there.
The Jaguar body they sent me had rout dimensions that fitted none of the Jag hardware available. The Jag neck with 22 frets didn't feature a fretboard overhang, but had the typical Fender curved fretboard end beyond the 22nd fret, meaning not only does it not work with any other body unless you specifically make one, but no pickguard works either.
So they bungled every aspect of dimension that it is possible to cock up in 2 guitar

vanguard

Reaction score
BYO guitar was directly responsible for me deciding to build myself - as in even without having tried to build a guitar I knew I could do a better job than them.
Their Les Paul I bought had a 1mm gap in the joint from body to neck which they described as 'just needing some finish sanding to make right'. I had to do so much work I needed to re-rout the neck pickup area as the tenon cut (which is supposed to be flush to the body rout) now was protruding so far the pickup wouldn't fit in there.
The Jaguar body they sent me had rout dimensions that fitted none of the Jag hardware available. The Jag neck with 22 frets didn't feature a fretboard overhang, but had the typical Fender curved fretboard end beyond the 22nd fret, meaning not only does it not work with any other body unless you specifically make one, but no pickguard works either.
So they bungled every aspect of dimension that it is possible to cock up in 2 guitar
Wow thanks so much! Bummer, as they have Braz rosewood, Honduran hog, etc.

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd worry about their claims of Braz tbh. A fretboard these days costs twice or more than their uncharge. I'd guess it's another species they're trying to pass off for those wanting something special.
Precision also has Honduran if you want it.

frehley76

Reaction score
I would just buy a vintage Tokai, you can get the lower models at a decent price, and go from there. They are already stellar guitars.

zombywoof

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find some gems with '70s-'80s MIJ - Tokai, Greco, Burny, Navigator...... Tokai still makes some damn nice stuff. More recently I really dig Momose, Crews, Provision, G-Seven guitars but those are already sweet the way they are (and pricey).

A Bacchus Classic sounds like what you are chasing, a nice fat neck, solid top (flame or plain) and lacquer. With some diligent surfing you can find them at a pretty fair price.

A bit less expensive would be an Edwards. I think one of these would make a nice refurb / restore project ****if you can find the neck profile you seek.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ESP Navigator

ESP edwards

I would bet a specific hunted down Gibson traditional model that fit your bill would also work.

Latest Threads