Improving a 2018 Gibson ES 335 Traditional

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Next task was to remove the stock grover tuners to replace them with period correct double ring klusons:

The grover bushings left some imprints in the headstock lacquer, so I had to do some light wet sanding with micro meshes to remove them:

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
I like the guitar a lot more with the bigsby. The only downside is that I don't like all this shiny new hardware, it makes the guitar look cheap. I'm therefore already working on some light aging of the hardware. Here's the result on the pickup covers and bridge:

Thanks to badly drawn les for the advices!

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Premium Member
Reaction score
That guitar is freakin sweet!! I have watched this very closely and I totally am into it! Beautiful black masterpiece! BTW the trick you used on the posts I also used, I should have mentioned it but I was drooling to much and got lost in in it all.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
That guitar is freakin sweet!! I have watched this very closely and I totally am into it! Beautiful black masterpiece! BTW the trick you used on the posts I also used, I should have mentioned it but I was drooling to much and got lost in in it all.
Thanks, I'm really happy this blackie is getting some appreciation! Never mind about the posts trick! You gotta learn things the hard way! :dude:

MSB

Reaction score
I think it looks great and I love your mods, but that has to be a B3, no way a 6 is that short. Google images and the spring cup is easily up to the neck volume pot.... or I'm a moron (jury's still out).

Netwarrior

Reaction score
I think it looks great and I love your mods, but that has to be a B3, no way a 6 is that short. Google images and the spring cup is easily up to the neck volume pot.... or I'm a moron (jury's still out).
Well, from the pictures on the web, it seems you are quite right ..
:wtf: I bought it as a Bigsby B6 and the box also says Bigsby B6

That's really a shame. It's an expensive piece of gear and now that I've modified it, I cannot even return it. :eek2::eek2:

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
it'd be easy enough to put the original hinge plate back on. But I'd contact who you bought it from and try to get something out of it. If they don't, you could try Bigsby as they technically are the ones that screwed up. But I want to say you bought it already modded, so I REALLY don't see how the guys at Towner missed it.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
it'd be easy enough to put the original hinge plate back on. But I'd contact who you bought it from and try to get something out of it. If they don't, you could try Bigsby as they technically are the ones that screwed up. But I want to say you bought it already modded, so I REALLY don't see how the guys at Towner missed it.
Well, I was referring to the exposure of the "patent" lettering and the aging that I did. However I'm getting I contact with the seller in the first place. If I have no luck I will try to reach towner themselves.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Finally I managed to source a bigsby B6. Here you can see the difference compared to the Bisgby B3 I have been sent by mistake:

Harleytech

Reaction score
I like it ! I just bought a 2019 Es-335 in antique faded cherry and I changed the tuners back to kluson's too... I used Cream Tone's over sized press in bushings and it looks great. Same size as the washer on the Grover's... I got some good idea's from your post on what else I can do... Thanks..

Norton

Reaction score
I’m with you on everything up to the bigsby.

After that. I’m out.

Reactions: Jer

Netwarrior

Reaction score
She's finally finished!! It took a lot more time that expected but I'm really happy. She plays, sounds and looks amazing!
Here is a picture together with her (recently acquired) sister:

The aging I've done to the metal is very minimal so it is difficult to see in this picture. Detail shoots will come in the next few days.

Rando375

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well done and thank you for posting :applause:

Also love your beach towel work cloth in the beginning, very patriotic :thumb:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Well done and thank you for posting :applause:

Also love your beach towel work cloth in the beginning, very patriotic :thumb:
Thanks! Actually I'm Italian, not British :laugh2:
It just happens I have this blanket laying around, and since it's very soft/plushy, it is also perfect to work on a black guitar which is very prone to scratches and "love marks"

Pesh

Reaction score
Incredible makeover you've give that fine beast. Love the Bigbsy and the hardware looks killer with that satin look. Play it well!

Rando375

Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the guitar a lot more with the bigsby. The only downside is that I don't like all this shiny new hardware, it makes the guitar look cheap. I'm therefore already working on some light aging of the hardware. Here's the result on the pickup covers and bridge:

Thanks to badly drawn les for the advices!
What method did you use to "age" the hardware? I have an LP I'd like to do the same thing too.

Latest Threads