Impossible Challenge - How to Make a Genuine Gibson Look Fake?

zdoggie

Reaction score
get your old erector set out and build a draw bridge i'd be better time spent

zdog

BKS

Reaction score
Just say it is really a Chibson no changes needed....

DBDM

Reaction score
I would start with simply changing out all of the standard (imperial) hardware for metric. Change out the truss rod for a metric allen wrench one. Agree with posters who said shave off the nibs. Should fool most people.

People that think that all counterfeits are bad are simply seeing bad counterfeits. Many people posting here own fake Gibsons and do not know it. The "good ones" go undetected. Only the bad ones are bad.

Edit--there was a guy in Nashville a few years ago who imported several (dozen +) good fakes and sold them to Pawn shops in Nashville. He managed to fool 11 (eleven) pawn shops--no small feat in Nashville. One of the Pawn shop owners was suspicious because the gutar looked new but the guy had attempted to age the case (which looked fake). He called the cops who then went around and checked all the inventory at other pawn shops and discovered the other 10. there could have been many more? I actually was given one of them by a buddy (owner of one of the 11 pawn shops) who was fooled. I offered it to Gibson who did not want it (they actually have a whole closet full of fakes). I carved "fake" inside of all the cavities and gave it to a kid who had admired it. (disadvantaged kid who told me he went to Sam Ash every Saturday to play the guitars). I told both the kid and his mom it is a fake and cautioned him to never sell it. Anyone who were to ever buy it would have to not look very close to see it is a fake since I tried to make that as clear as possible without messing up the aesthetics for the kid. I played it along side one of my Custom shop models for my wife who sat with her back to me as I swapped up the 2 guitars and she could not tell which one I was playing. It was a "good fake". Hope it inspires the kid to play and wear it out and he becomes a lifelong player. his mom was thrilled that she did not have to drive to Sam Ash every Saturday.

Edit--Here is a news article from local TV news. This one says 6 were sold in Murfreesboro, Tn (southeast suburb of Nashville) but there were in fact 11 that were subsequently identified
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/fake-gibson-guitars-hit-music-city-market

The day I took it to Gibson was Feb 29,2020 (literally days before the Pandemic hit and a few weeks before Gibson shut down totally for the Pandemic--seems like a different time in life). They were at the beginning of the JC era and were more into downsizing and getting rid of stuff than acquiring more stuff. Was a sentinel day for me because that is the day I got my Buckethead LP. On the way into the factory there is a little hallway with several "special" ( but fairly recent) guitars hanging on the wall, gallery style. There was a Buckethead. I got pretty excited. A guy overheard me and said, "you know, I have one of those...call me". I did and now I have my Buckethead! They are pretty insistent that you not take pictures inside the factory so I did not. I did take a few outside though....
Below is a picture of the little hallway on the way in to the factory floor. The Buckethead is in the photo (not mine but the guitar that inspired the acquisition of mine).The whole entryway of the USA shop is lined with flamed maple.

Attachments

Last edited:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Edit--there was a guy in Nashville a few years ago who imported several (dozen +) good fakes and sold them to Pawn shops in Nashville. He managed to fool 11 (eleven) pawn shops--no small feat in Nashville.
Right...

Latest Threads