Impossible Challenge - How to Make a Genuine Gibson Look Fake?

Adinol

Reaction score
This is a purely hypothetical question. I know, no one would ever want to do that, but just for argument's sake...

What could we do to a genuine Gibson to fool someone into thinking it's a fake?

For whatever reason, this crazy thought happened to pop into my mind, today, and I think there's no way to achieve this.

Let's say you wanted to have a Gibson appear to be a good fake. This means that it would have to look like some master counterfeiter was trying to make it look real, so it would have to have genuine Gibson components. If it was, hypothetically speaking, a great counterfeit, there would always have to be something that would not look right, so an expert would be able to tell it is a fake.

So, now, if we wanted to fool an expert into thinking that a real Gibson was just a good fake, what would we do to it?

I really can't think of anything that one could do.

It's hopeless, LOL.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
A "master counterfeiter" would make a fake so convincing, noone here on the forum would be able to tell it was fake.

Fakes always get the gold finishes wrong on goldtops. Epiphone too, imo. So if you wanted to make an otherwise perfect guitar look fake, get it refinished in gold by a cheap refinisher.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a purely hypothetical question. I know, no one would ever want to do that, but just for argument's sake...

What could we do to a genuine Gibson to fool someone into thinking it's a fake?

For whatever reason, this crazy thought happened to pop into my mind, today, and I think there's no way to achieve this.

Let's say you wanted to have a Gibson appear to be a good fake. This means that it would have to look like some master counterfeiter was trying to make it look real, so it would have to have genuine Gibson components. If it was, hypothetically speaking, a great counterfeit, there would always have to be something that would not look right, so an expert would be able to tell it is a fake.

So, now, if we wanted to fool an expert into thinking that a real Gibson was just a good fake, what would we do to it?

I really can't think of anything that one could do.

It's hopeless, LOL.
Remove the Gibson logo and replace it with one which is both inaccurate for period and off angle?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a gold hardware model, replace the black pickup ring screws with gold.
Even Epiphone gets this "wrong" and I was surprised to see it done correctly on my 2020 Bonamassa Black Beauty.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mask and tint the back of the headstock to make it look like it has a scarf joint.

ARandall

Reaction score
Most of the tells are fundamental to the guitar.....so the positions of knobs hole drillings, tailpiece gap behind bridge, 16th fret body join etc etc.

I mean you could completely re-work a guitar if you so chose - but just the thought of doing that is making my head hurt.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the nibs dressed without the file handwork violating the fretboard.

Have the tuners installed symmetrically.

Make it white and have it still be white five years later.

No chance a real Gibson can do these things.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
The first thing I thought of was the bridge with screws which someone else said very early on. Another really easy thing would be an "off" truss-rod cover to say something like "Les Paul" in script, and then underneath that have "Standard" in block letters. Maybe even also mis-spell "Standard". How about adding some Chinese writing in the control cavity?

Latest Threads