important:...Stopping fake Les Pauls

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Someone recently posted a pic of a fake R8 that was for sale on Ebay. Upon posting a thread they asked the opinion of MLP members and what they thought of the guitar..whether or not it was a fake. They asked for details on spotting fakes...now I feel the person who started the thread was genuinely interested in knowing what made this guitar fake...but one thing that concerns me is that we really dont know whos on the other side of the computer screen. While I do support the effort in trying to inform MLP members on what makes an LP fake..I also feel we are informing more than just the members...unfortunately we can be informing the builders of the fakes. If they were to start a thread asking what makes an LP fake...they can be waiting on the other end with a checklist of changes to make. So I suggest that all informed MLP members keep their information to themselves but still aid potential buyers with opinions as to whether or not a guitar is a fake. Dont tell them why..just let them what you think and let them make their own decision. I find it disturbing that a few fakes are now sporting ABR-1's. And as much as I love the kit guitars..Im afraid the makers will take what is learned from their American consultants and use it against us. luckily they are still off due to budget constraints but one day it might get scary.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
dont care.

let the buyer beware. if you think you can buy an R8 for $400, you deserve to get ripped off. buy from a reputable dealer and all will be well.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
dont care.

let the buyer beware. if you think you can buy an R8 for $400, you deserve to get ripped off. buy from a reputable dealer and all will be well.

yeah but what if it looks real good and they get it close enough...maybe Tokai close and charge you $2,000. After all, the early Tokai love rocks are closer to a 59 than anything Gibson made at that time.

Droog

Reaction score
I agree with FennRx, if every historic you see costs thousands of dollars, then you go to an obviously foreign website that claims they'll sell you that guitar for 1/10th the price....you deserve to be ripped off.

:shock:

L60N

Reaction score
Sorry, but I agree with FennRx.

Actually, im not sorry. :D

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
I agree with FennRx, if every historic you see costs thousands of dollars, then you go to an obviously foreign website that claims they'll sell you that guitar for 1/10th the price....you deserve to be ripped off.

:shock:

Is Ebay USA a foreign website? or even your local shop that someone may have traded it to. It may not cost $400 if it were to look better.

Droog

Reaction score
Is Ebay USA a foreign website? or even your local shop that someone may have traded it to. It may not cost $400 if it were to look better.

Yes, Ebay USA is a foreign website. I'm Canadian :laugh2:. I stand by my initial post, and Fenn's, if every historic you see costs thousands of dollars, and you walk into a store, go on Ebay, whatever, and see one that costs 1/10th as much, and you believe it's the same guitar as the historic, you deserve to be ripped off. :shock:

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
While I do support the effort in trying to inform MLP members on what makes an LP fake..I also feel we are informing more than just the members...unfortunately we can be informing the builders of the fakes.

That's why I never point out what makes the guitar fake.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Yes, Ebay USA is a foreign website. I'm Canadian :laugh2:. I stand by my initial post, and Fenn's, if every historic you see costs thousands of dollars, and you walk into a store, go on Ebay, whatever, and see one that costs 1/10th as much, and you believe it's the same guitar as the historic, you deserve to be ripped off. :shock:

Yes but my point is..if they were made better and closer..they wouldnt be 1/10th the cost anymore...you could end up paying 2K for a fake in a local guitar store if someone were to trade one in.

Droog

Reaction score
Yes but my point is..if they were made better and closer..they wouldnt be 1/10th the cost anymore...you could end up paying 2K for a fake in a local guitar store if someone were to trade one in.

Comes down to buyer beware. Both the store for buying it off the owner, and the consumer for buying it from the store.

:thumb:

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sure, as soon as Gibson pays the Bigsby estate for making cheap replicas of his guitar design, I'll get right on it! :thumb::rolleyes:

LongBeach

Reaction score

I understand your point, and have (in the past) thought the same thing.
If the builder's keep up with the explanations as to what they are doing wrong, you'd think they would eventually get it right.

But, seems to be popular opinion whoever is building these are too stupid
to pay attention.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
I understand your point, and have (in the past) thought the same thing.
If the builder's keep up with the explanations as to what they are doing wrong, you'd think they would eventually get it right.

But, seems to be popular opinion whoever is building these are too stupid
to pay attention.

not stupid...cost is a factor and the naive buyers will pay $400 and theyll be happy to make that much off of them..the buyer should seek out the details themselves and not be so lazy...but if we post the obvious fake spots..theyll change it for those naive buyers...my concern is if they were to move upmarket as the japanese did.

Jason

Reaction score
Apparently I pissed somebody off by saying it's not our responsibility to stop fakes... because my post was deleted. I'll say it once again and hope it sticks this time! It's Gibson's responsibility to take care of this stuff. As the OP stated, even when we think we're helping, we're probably not!

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Apparently I pissed somebody off by saying it's not our responsibility to stop fakes... because my post was deleted. I'll say it once again and hope it sticks this time! It's Gibson's responsibility to take care of this stuff. As the OP stated, even when we think we're helping, we're probably not!

Its Gibsons responsibility to shut them down and stop them..leave PRS alone..hes dorky.
but as far helping each other out from getting ripped off...I think pointing out the details are making it worse for others..this guys saw a thread about these bridges being fake so he sees a fake with an ABR-1 and thats it.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

No, it's still there...check the other thread in the Gibson section. :thumb::laugh2:

AngryHatter

Reaction score

Nah...the op has posted this thread more than once - your reply is in the other thread in Gibson Les Pauls subforum.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/89964-important-stopping-fake-les-pauls.html
d'oh - late again!

eldiablo

Reaction score
I'm all for helping the next guy if I can...
but I also feel stopping counterfeiters is Gibson responsibility.

I really don't think the counterfeiters need our help to make their product.
They need people to continue to buy the fakes.

Best way to stop the counterfeiters is to call them out and educate people on how to spot them.
Then maybe people won't be fooled and buy them.

Barber

Reaction score
Someone recently posted a pic of a fake R8 that was for sale on Ebay. Upon posting a thread they asked the opinion of MLP members and what they thought of the guitar..whether or not it was a fake. They asked for details on spotting fakes...now I feel the person who started the thread was genuinely interested in knowing what made this guitar fake...but one thing that concerns me is that we really dont know whos on the other side of the computer screen.....

I take it this is directed at me then,

sorry yeah i guess it is a bit silly. But partly I did it for my own benefit - as I'm currently in the market for a new guitar, specifically an R8.

I was on my break at work, noticed a few of the pictures looked a little off, and posted up about it in order to get some opinions whilst i got back to doing my job. When i came back, I too could see all of the points that were pointed out in that thread. So it was perhaps an unnecessary question.

For the record, I reported the listing to eBay anyway. I'd hate to see someone drop 1000's on a guitar and get burned.

I take your point on board though.

Latest Threads