Immigration: Your personal experience

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mom from Germany, Dad from Ireland.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I went to canada once when I was a kid for a vacation but other than that I have only ever been out of state one other time.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4[/ame]

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a long story X :D. Dog from? uups foregot he's "gone" :laugh2:

Were you born in the USA? Feel like a foreigner there?

Sorry, I was born in the US. Spent most of my childhood with the German side. Grandfather and his brothers became farmers in Nebraska of all places. It was normal to me. both became citizens and Dad was in the Navy. Traveling and other cultures were the norm for me since birth pretty much.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved here from Canada, Eh!

A year and a half of BS and thousands of dollars later, I have guns :)

Been here 7 years now....still buying guns and ride a Harley. That's what they said I had to do when I moved to Ohio.....so.....GO BUCKEYES! :)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I went to canada once when I was a kid for a vacation but other than that I have only ever been out of state one other time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4

I liked Springsteen, until he released that f*cking album.* It ruined his entire discography for me. The only thing I have liked him in since, was his cameo in Lilyhammer. About the only Springsteen I can listen to, now, are the covers of Nebraska. I'd rather listen to Tom Petty and I hate Tom Petty (his music, not personally).

Montreal is awesome for folks that want a taste of Europe without going too far.

* I hate it musically. I am all for almost anything (positive) that is pro-'merica.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Because to be honest, everybody in the Epiphone sub-forum knows the problems with Have Fun ;)

His English isn't as good as he think's it is,Or he has a crappy French to English translation App.:D

Kashmir

Reaction score
My four grandparents immigrated to the US from Ireland back in the 20s, my father's from County Cork and my mother's from Belfast. They were shuffled off to Ellis Island and eventually made it to Boston. My mother's family lived in Bronx NY for a decade or so before coming to Quincy, MA.

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My maternal grandparents came from Italy and Sicily. I was an immigrant for six years when I lived in Germany. We went there in 1970 and I was granted a one year work visa. When I went to renew it, I was given one for five years with no restrictions on place or type of work. That happened because my wife was still German. After the first three years, I went into Umschulung to learn to be a toolmaker. I had been speaking German since 1965 so language was never a problem including reading and writing. Two years in the apprenticeship and a year working after that, we decided to return to the USA. Now my wife was once again an immigrant. Even without perfect language skills, she never had a problem fitting in. About five years ago she decided she wanted to become a US citizen. Four months later she achieved that goal.

My sister was born in Bermuda and had dual citizenship until she was 18. Married now for the third time, she lives in Australia and has dual citizenship there. It did not hurt that she is a world class martial artist and is married to one of the top guys in Oz.

My paternal ancestors have been in this country for centuries going back to the late 1600s and early 1700s. They are French, German, English, Scot and Irish.

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stories I heard about being an Irish immigrant were terrible. I'm glad things are better now, at least in the way the people are treated.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I come from the land of the ice and snow..........

Canada.

Kashmir

Reaction score
The stories I heard about being an Irish immigrant were terrible. I'm glad things are better now, at least in the way the people are treated.

The prejudices still exist, but the Irish just don't care, especially here in Boston where they've ruled for years anyway. :lol:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
It's been a mixed bag here compared to life on Mars

However, things are looking sunny since I got divorced from that ****ing Venusian

Although I'm not sure if I'll ever trust anyone from Venus again....

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
To be honest, it all sounds like German to outsiders.

It sounds totally different to insiders. Germans from Hamburg would sound really strange to folks from Bern.

I was stationed in Germany back in the late 80s. My best friend had parents who had emigrated to the US from Germany right after WWII. They grew up in Rhineland-Pfalz, and my friend learned how to speak German with a Pfaelzish dialect. Of course, being from Chicago, he spoke that dialect with a Chicago accent.

We worked in Bavaria. When my friend spoke German to the locals, the looks he got were priceless. The dialect in Bavaria is very different from the one he learned. That he spoke his fluently with a thick Chicago accent made it all the more strange for the locals. Too funny.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was born in dirty Jersey, but my family all came to America legally, and they actually assimilated. The horror. :laugh2:

My neighborhood was full of immigrants and 1st geners like me from Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Ireland, and Germany.. and then the ghetto started crepping in... and we all got the **** out. Now my home town (Trenton) is a **** hole.

MikeC

Reaction score
We worked in Bavaria. When my friend spoke German to the locals, the looks he got were priceless. The dialect in Bavaria is very different from the one he learned. That he spoke his fluently with a thick Chicago accent made it all the more strange for the locals. Too funny.

ha!

I'm not a lingua expert, but Bavarian really sounds like an entirely different language compared to German-German, Austrian-German or Swiss-German.

It sounds totally different to insiders

It is convenient to make generalisations, however. As long as we dont start a Chinese language vs dialect argument (is Fuzhou a distinct language, whereby Mandarin is treated as Schriftchinesisch? ) or we will never the end of it. :naughty:

Philuk

Reaction score
Came to England when I was 1 years old. Now I feel quite unwelcome in a country that I consider my home.

Sharky

Reaction score
They grew up in Rhineland-Pfalz, and my friend learned how to speak German with a Pfaelzish dialect.

Rheinland-Pfalz is a quite big area from close to Bonn and Köln in the North and Luxemburg in the West to Karlsruhe and the french border in the South. Pfälzisch is spoken from around Mannheim to the South. The dialect in the North is a completely different story and has nothing to do with Pfälzisch. Hell, they roll the R even more in the Westerwald than any Southener in the States will do

Benjammin

Reaction score
My mom's family came from Ireland, my dads came from Canada (and before that France). I grew up in the US and have lived in Canada for 12 years. I technically didn't immigrate, and culturally it's not all that different, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I've been wanting to move back to the US for a while, but I'm nor sure where I want to end up

parts

Reaction score
Dad was youngest of 8..and was only one born here.. His family came from extreme south Italy..Calabria..
Mom's family came from near Rome..Abruzze.. She was born here a year after they came here..
We lived in little Italy in Chicago..Taylor..Halstead area..until moving near west side..
I thought everyone was Italian when I was real young..then it seemed everyone I knew was recent immigrants..Ireland..Greece..Polish..then others..Arabs..Chinese..
Then back to my old neighborhood which now was where the Black bluesmen played..it was what drew me back to my first neighborhood..

All seemed natural..we all worked hard..
It was great for me..
I liked everyone's food..loved their women..and enjoyed all of both..as much as possible. I moved easily between all and it just seemed natural..

Still does for me..my friends are extremely diverse.. Wife was born her..her parents came from Tepic Nayarit..near Puerto Vallarta mid southern Mexico..

My family in Italy on both sides were eliminated by Mussolini during the facist take over..Gramp (Mom's) was a Sargent and helped US and Brits hide and defend so he got a ride here..
Dad's similar but don't know as much as his parents died when I was very young..
Some of my Uncles and family were interned in camps in Midwest during WII. All my family fought in Japan theater as Japanese were only allowed to fight in Europe..

Wife's family was same..killed in Mexico revolution..we went to Tepic..but could not find any family left.. Her father fought in Europe..as many Mexican immigrants and Native Americans. I have friends (Yaqui and Navajo mostly) whose parents fought for this country of OURS. Some were code talkers..others regular soldiers..

My first wife was born to Polish immigrants..
Her family WAS allowed to fight in Europe..

Interesting times..

Latest Threads