Imagine my chagrin

cmh6122

Reaction score
When I came to this forum to discover that this guitar is not quite a Gibson. I bought this guitar new on December 6, 1977 at Steam Music in Topeka Kansas.
Can anyone tell this barely web-savy knucklehead how to post pics without them being thumbnails?

Attachments

Reaction score
I don't get it, it looks like a Les Paul Artisan to me?

Try uploading the photos to Photobucket, then post them here using the

J.T.

Reaction score
Since it's "not quite a Gibson," I'd be happy to take it off your hands. LOL! That's one nice Artisan you have there. You can also upload photos to an album here at MLP - go to your control panel & look. Won't take high resolution or anything, but good enough to embed in a message.

napsak

Banned
Reaction score
It sure looks good to me. rather fancy work was put in to that guitar. Some would beg to differ about it not being a Gibson though.

socialhero

Reaction score
When I came to this forum to discover that this guitar is not quite a Gibson. I bought this guitar new on December 6, 1977 at Steam Music in Topeka Kansas.
Can anyone tell this barely web-savy knucklehead how to post pics without them being thumbnails?
This forum is full of great people who know their stuff.

Sadly, it is also full of inexperienced folks who will not miss a chance to holler "fake" whenever they run into something they personally have never seen before, which I hope is not what happened here.

Seek and you shall find ammunition to rouse the slumberous and to silence the obtuse.

Your LP looks completely legit to me. :thumb:

JMV

Reaction score
Oh, that's most definitely a REAL Les Paul Artisan. And a beautiful one, too.

Whoever said it was fake was wrong...just wrong.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Are you inferring that it's not a "true" Gibson because it was produced during the Norlin era of Gibson's ownership? Gibson has changed hands several times, and no matter who owned or managed Gibson, they are all "true" Gibsons.

We refer to our Gibsons as Norlins only as a way to talk about the era for which it was made. We aren't saying anything to try to give the impression that they aren't Gibsons.

As far as posting pics, you're probably best off saving the photos in photobucket (or similar type site) and pasting the link right onto the dialogue box. This avoids thumbnails.

jsadctnfn1

Reaction score
That is NICE!

Yep, it's fake!

I'll give ya $300 for it and take it off of your hands, so you can put the money towards a real gibby. :D

zontar

Reaction score
Are you inferring that it's not a "true" Gibson because it was produced during the Norlin era of Gibson's ownership? Gibson has changed hands several times, and no matter who owned or managed Gibson, they are all "true" Gibsons.

We refer to our Gibsons as Norlins only as a way to talk about the era for which it was made. We aren't saying anything to try to give the impression that they aren't Gibsons.
Ditto.
I often joke that my Gibson is a Norlin & my Fender a CBS model--but I love them.

Well I do love them--and they are Norlin & CBS era--which some people don't get--but they spoke to me, I had to buy them.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
People need to get it through their thick skulls that there are good and bad guitars in every year from 1952 to 2011! Only by searching, holding, feeling and playing can you ever make a judgemental decision. Anyone who says otherwise is a bloody fool!:slap:

cmh6122

Reaction score
Was being absolutely facetious. I fell for this guitar the moment I saw it. Playing it sealed the deal. Can't remember for certain, but I think it was $850 with a Choice case. It came with the protector case, but the guy I bought it from liked how much lighter it was than the choice case which housed a 59 burst that he was playing.
I have known and traded with him 40 years now, and we both shake our heads at the value that instruments we enjoyed in our youth have attained. When I bought the Artisan I was playing a 63 Sg standard and a Gibson Marauder that I had bought from him.
According to the Ser# it was made in Kalamazoo in 1977 although it does have the Nashville bridge. It is exactly as it was the first time Don handed it to me except for the brass tip on the pup selector(the original tip is in the jizz pocket of the case). I have never doubted that this was a special guitar built by craftspeople that intended for it to be a treasure. And I do treasure it.
I will fiddle with ways of posting more pics.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes the Artisan was a very special Les Paul! it was Gibson's most expensive top of the line LP model at the time, they command a lot of attention when ever played out and are now becoming quite collectible, you have a real beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmh6122

Reaction score

These are the only shots I can try this with on my work computer. More mischief when I get home

6stringer

Reaction score

cmh6122

Reaction score
Small world, I was checking out a Craigslist ad for the same guitar yesterday. Dude wants $2800 for his.

1977 Gibson Les Paul Artisan 3 Walnut RARE! 1970's Custom Shop Beauty

A lot of guitar for that money IMHO.
I am obviously extraordinarily biased, but I have never played a Les Paul that was as sweet playing as my Artisan. I have never owned another LP, but I have spent time with easily 100 over the last 40 years including the 59 burst owned by the guy I bought the Artisan from and an R9(with a $5900 price tag) during my one and only Guitar Center adventure this spring.

Latest Threads