I'm watching Pawn Stars...

73Custom

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess he could've been in an opening band or whatever, but I refuse to believe there people that ignorant when it comes to Les Pauls. :laugh2:
i hear you, but i know people that play the shit out of em, gig, etc... when it comes to doing a simple set-up, they don't have a clue

so the guy either thought he could get over on the PAWN dudes or he really is heart broken realizing now that his beloved 1960 Custom is really an early 70's model...

seems to me he probably didn't know, cuz that's awful bold of him to ask $25,000 for something he knew was fake. but with that said, i guess it takes all types...

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
It is just so difficult for me to believe that the dude has had the thing since at least the '80s and thought it was a '60 the whole time?!? It seems like he'd have learned differently somewhere in all those years..

73Custom

Reaction score
that's a good point, you would have thought some where along the line some knowing guitar player would have said "hey sweet early 70's model dude" or something along those lines...

checkedgoldtop

Reaction score
I used to love pawn shops until the internet f$$cked them up. I got a minty 1989 jtm45 for $500 before they started checking ebay.

BoxyBrown22

Reaction score
One thought, Randy Rhoads thought his Les Paul WAS a 1964. Information wasn't as available on these guitars, and getting is wasn't all that easy for how many years? In 1984 could you really tell that the Paul you bought was a 1968 or 1960? Did you know all the things to look for? Did you even CARE?

I honestly think he thought it was a 1960, and never really looked into it. When my friend, who's playing credentials are up there, got his hands on my Chery Sunburst and dated by the serial number he REALLY thought is was a 1967! I had to show him how to date the pots and the information out there.

kip0909

Reaction score
One thought, Randy Rhoads thought his Les Paul WAS a 1964. Information wasn't as available on these guitars, and getting is wasn't all that easy for how many years? In 1984 could you really tell that the Paul you bought was a 1968 or 1960? Did you know all the things to look for? Did you even CARE?

I honestly think he thought it was a 1960, and never really looked into it. When my friend, who's playing credentials are up there, got his hands on my Chery Sunburst and dated by the serial number he REALLY thought is was a 1967! I had to show him how to date the pots and the information out there.
So did corey, of course the information was available to him.

BoxyBrown22

Reaction score
So did corey, of course the information was available to him.
relevance????

I'm just stating a different point of view, not everyone has adapted to all the information available on the internet on guitars. It's crazy all that's out there honestly, just 15 years ago most of what to MLP members as 'common knowledge' was not! Maybe someone who bought and sold instruments back then can correct me, but I think the average axe slinger, from novice to pro, didn't know the differences between a 1988 Les Paul Standard from a 1968 that was routed for the full 'buckers.

Chances are yeah, he wanted to sell his guitar and make as much as he could off it and tried to sell it as a 1960 custom, he took it to a damn pawn shop.

VintageBurst

Reaction score
If the guy supposedly doesn't know much about les Pauls then why did he want it to be a '60? He was "disapointed" when he was found out. How can you be a pro LP player and not know what a PAF or a volute is? I'm calling BS. They should have broken that thing over his head and threw him out the door.

BurstAddict

Reaction score
Here's the full episode in case you missed it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sve1Non-T0]YouTube - Pawn Stars: Season 2: Episode 5 - Part 1/3[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr3jWydXBRE]YouTube - Pawn Stars: Season 2: Episode 5 - Part 2/3[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84IFfiI9ad4]YouTube - Pawn Stars: Season 2: Episode 5 - Part 3/3[/ame]

You could just skip to part 3/3 to get to it

hbar

Reaction score
I knew what it was as soon as he opened the case. "This will not end well..", I told myself. :laugh2:
Me too. I saw the telltale pancake line and was all jazzed that I knew it wasn't a 60...primarily because my wife was sitting next to me at the time. Not that she doubted me, but it's a little easier to justify periodically dropping a few thou on a guitar when you occasionally get to demonstrate that you do have some idea what you're talking about. Speaking of which, were witch hat knobs ever OEM?

Though later on in the show they said it was a '74. I'm sure they didn't show everything, but wouldn't you have to look at the tenon to know if it was a 74? As far as him not knowing, he didn't seem like the sort of dude who hung out on an internet forum (he's probably actually out playing the guitar instead of talking about it), but I have a hard time believing the pancake body would've escaped being noticed over all these years.

Maybe the owner was buddies with the dude who sold them the hot air balloon. "these guys will pay 50k for anything!!"

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Yes, I believe witch hats were standard knobs on Customs from '68 thru '73.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I know, I hate witch hats... A ton of early Norlins had them though. :laugh2:

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Showing Bole witch hats is like poking a pissed pit bull with a stick!

essguitarman

Reaction score
I love that show! I remember watching that episode and as soon as they took that custom out of the case, I could tell it was a Norlin. What a bummer for the guy if he actually thought it was a 1960.

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Thanks for the YT vid. Guy seemed genuinely bummed, but not sure how he hasn't heard of Google or calling Gibson. Not trying to be harsh!