I'm sending my Les Paul to Gibson Repair for a nut replacement.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If you want a Corian nut, you don't need to go to Gibson. There are plenty of countertop shops in NYC. I lived and worked in a recording studio above one in Queens. ...nothing like daily deliveries of marble outside your window at 6AM!

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Yeah, this. There’s certainly some good luthiers in NYC. Get a recommendation and get someone local to make a bone nut (and save $80 in shipping!). I had a bone nut installed on my Traditional- it’s a nice improvement.
Is D'Angelico still in NYC?

Pdpmail

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn between Emailing and shipping to Gibson Repair or just going to my local repair shop in nyc by train. Gibson Repair is definitely the best choice since my Les Paul is a Gibson. I'm wondering if my Les Paul can handle two shipments. It's a Traditional so it came with a hardshell case. I have experience with boxing and shipping guitars.
For me I would have it done locally - sending it away will cause more risk and the guitar tech locally can fix a nut anyway.
probably better than Gibson. I speak from personal experience. Get it done locally :cool:. If you can get a better nut than the gibby one ? - theres a bonus!

PeterSfa

Reaction score
A LOT less hassle this way. Get a Gibson approved repairperson/shop and have Gibson pay them if it's a warranty thing.

BEAUTY guitar, by the way.
Ok, in my world a nut is something you replace yourself exactly as the strings.
A factory or repair person will most likely not adjust it to your needs, but to a kind of factory default.
I recommend you to repace it yourself, it is a lot to gain, learning how to use your guitar.

Last edited:

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
I took mine to a local shop here (Joe Glaser) and had the factory one replaced with the rare white material. They cut it on the Plek machine and it's awesome; No regrets.
JMHO

L3rxst

Reaction score
Yep totally agree. Anything could happen to that guitar between you sending it back to Gibson and it being returned to you. Go to a local guy, get a good job, and you can tale it back to be tweaked if you need to.

MissingSomethin

Reaction score
Guitar looks way too clean and shiny.
Try actually playing it, instead of polishing it

TomacKolli

Reaction score
Is this a real post? I need a tuner replaced,should I send it to Gibson?

Darylh

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn between Emailing and shipping to Gibson Repair or just going to my local repair shop in nyc by train. Gibson Repair is definitely the best choice since my Les Paul is a Gibson. I'm wondering if my Les Paul can handle two shipments. It's a Traditional so it came with a hardshell case. I have experience with boxing and shipping guitars.
Local shop. Just a nut so its an easy repair

hisasahisasaki

Reaction score
Only one DIY? Reading this thread is a little painful; cutting a nut is really easy, it is not a skilled job for luthiers only. It's never been easier as there are loads of YouTube videos showing exactly how to do it right, specifically on Les Paul guitars that require a few extra considerations. Buy the files from StewMac and a new nut (or two if you don't trust yourself) and do it your self.
I am also a DIY sect.There are many professional musicians, including myself, who adjust their guitars themselves.
Probably not a good analogy, but if you watch Jaco Pastorius's instructional video, he's installing and scraping nuts.
The questioner seems to want a nylon nut, but the Gibson guitar I own has a Tusq nut at the time of shipment, and when I buy the model number PQ-6400-00, the location pin is on the bottom of the nut.Yes, it matches the hole in the guitar.(By the way, my J-45 had a misaligned hole lol)
If you do it carefully, you will not be afraid of anything.

hisasahisasaki

Reaction score
I don’t disagree. But ya still need special tools/ nut files. If this is the sort of thing someone does once every few years, it’s not worth investing in tools and trying it yourself. My 2 cents.
If you scrape the side of the filler gauge (thickness gauge) and make it like a file, it will become an instant nut file.

bclarke675

Reaction score
I see lots of people recommending a bone nut. With all the tuning issues I've read about due to the angle of the Les Paul headstock, why not a graphite nut?

customshopper

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re somewhere in my area... if you’re looking for someone reliable to install a nut, go to 30th St Guitars in NYC and see Matt Brewster. Totally unnecessary to send your guitar back to Gibson.
@Hamsterean another Matt / 30th Street Guitars recommendation. He is an alchemist who should be the ‘repairs’ trainer at Gibson. Seriously, your guitar will play like butter, with no ‘sharping’ and it’s around the corner. (On W27th bet 7/8 now actually)

rlefty

Reaction score
I haven't posted here in years, but I'm back, just for this!

OP: Why do you want to replace the nut? Are there issues or are you just chasing your own idea of what a nut should be?
  1. If there are issues, what are they? Please post a pic of the nut instead of a pic of the guitar body (nice top, btw) so that we can see it.
    1. If the issues are not severe (most likely) invest in a set of nut files. They cost about 80 bucks, but it's a worthwhile investment for every guitar player. They last forever, and you can fix your own nut, free of charge (and time).
    2. If the issues are severe enough that you actually require a new nut (honestly, this is doubtful) then bring it to a local tech. If you're in NYC obviously they are all over the place. If you're in North Jersey take it to Bill Baker in Parsipany NJ.
  2. If there are no issues, you're done. You don't need a new nut, stop playing yourself and just play your guitar.

Adinol

Reaction score
There are some amazing people in NYC. Gibson does not always do a great job.

Call your local guitar shops and ask if any of the techs are also luthiers - i.e. if they build guitars.

Also, get an unbleached bone nut blank from Stew Mac. Those are amazing nuts. Take that blank to the shop.

skydog

Reaction score
Jim DeCola is a master luthier and runs the repair shop in Gibson Nashville. The production line wouldn't even see your guitar.

Adinol

Reaction score
I see lots of people recommending a bone nut. With all the tuning issues I've read about due to the angle of the Les Paul headstock, why not a graphite nut?
It's in big part about how the strings slots are cut.

GermHerm

Reaction score
Go to your local luthier. The smal businesses needthe money. By the way I change an repair my nuts on my own. It is not difficult and you are able to do it like you would to have it ...
No experience? —> luthier

Latest Threads