I'm sending my Les Paul to Gibson Repair for a nut replacement.

Jp3764

Reaction score
Funny! But bad analogy. I wouldn't consider the Gibson people brain surgeons. And replacing a nut on a Gibson takes skill and experience....not like cutting your toenails.

Take it to the best luthier you can find. Not a tech in a guitar shop.

Id say im lucky cuz i have several Grade A+ Luthiers in town but you will pay for it.
Me personally i would never take the risk of shipping a LP or similar for a simple youtube repair. And yes its all on youtube. I did my first LP nut in 1982, Within a year i built my own Les Paul out of 2 broken Gibson guitars without internet. These days i only pay for refrets or fret levels again here in town. Just had a 1985 Tokia LP Custom refret $300.

Last edited:

dspelman

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn between Emailing and shipping to Gibson Repair or just going to my local repair shop in nyc by train. Gibson Repair is definitely the best choice since my Les Paul is a Gibson. I'm wondering if my Les Paul can handle two shipments. It's a Traditional so it came with a hardshell case. I have experience with boxing and shipping guitars.

Are you out of your Vulcan mind? At Christmas time?
Local repair shop.

While you're at it, get a Tusq nut rather than the low-rent Gibson plastique thing.

northernbreed

Reaction score
Unless the existing nut is somehow non-functional, IMO, the risk of munging the neck with a nut replacement would outweigh any issue I had. I’d just leave it alone.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
You'd be better off sending it to me, and having my 7yo take a wack (literally) at it.

Gibson would not only charge for the repair, but also the shipping. And, that's if you get the guitar back, at all?

No joke, either. We had a member, who sent his LP to Gibson bc of a finish issue. So, instead of fixing said issue, and sending him his original guitar back, they kept/destroyed it, and built him a replacement.

mhr900ss

Reaction score
Only one DIY? Reading this thread is a little painful; cutting a nut is really easy, it is not a skilled job for luthiers only. It's never been easier as there are loads of YouTube videos showing exactly how to do it right, specifically on Les Paul guitars that require a few extra considerations. Buy the files from StewMac and a new nut (or two if you don't trust yourself) and do it your self.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Funny! But bad analogy. I wouldn't consider the Gibson people brain surgeons. And replacing a nut on a Gibson takes skill and experience....not like cutting your toenails.

Take it to the best luthier you can find. Not a tech in a guitar shop.

Indeed. That's why I take mine to the best.;)
img_0963-jpg.482378

img_0556-jpg.423711

BC124409-2F55-4D78-87F5-B9EB7A176829.jpeg

Can't get more custom than these!

Last edited:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I haven't heard the obvious question, so I'll ask it: What's wrong with your nut? Why do you think it needs to be replaced? And in general, 5 seconds with a nut file fixes most ills.

Hamsterean

Reaction score
I haven't heard the obvious question, so I'll ask it: What's wrong with your nut? Why do you think it needs to be replaced? And in general, 5 seconds with a nut file fixes most ills.
Same reason Guthrie Govan replaced his nut on his suhr. It's a self lubricating nut. They wear down easily. Open strings buzz if i play hard.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Raise your action a hair and see if the issue persists.

JMP

Reaction score
Only one DIY? Reading this thread is a little painful; cutting a nut is really easy, it is not a skilled job for luthiers only. It's never been easier as there are loads of YouTube videos showing exactly how to do it right, specifically on Les Paul guitars that require a few extra considerations. Buy the files from StewMac and a new nut (or two if you don't trust yourself) and do it your self.
I don’t disagree. But ya still need special tools/ nut files. If this is the sort of thing someone does once every few years, it’s not worth investing in tools and trying it yourself. My 2 cents.

smk506

Reaction score
No thanks, I will choose nylon to further achieve a 59' Gibson Les Paul tone.

If you’re going nylon I’d suggest hitting up @LtDave32, I think he mentioned something about making nylon blanks awhile ago. It’s true enough modern nylon is different from the old stuff, but I’m not sure that really matter much in functionality. The modern nylon is by accounts hard, wear resistant, self lubricating...

I’m pretty non traditional about nuts too, I like zero frets, the Gibson adjustable zero fret, roller nuts, all that stuff.

Injector

Reaction score
Why ship it to Gibson? If it survives the journey there & back it will return with the odd scratch and a scuffed hardcase. Pay a local luthier and save yourself the stress & hassle.

Dilver

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn between Emailing and shipping to Gibson Repair or just going to my local repair shop in nyc by train. Gibson Repair is definitely the best choice since my Les Paul is a Gibson. I'm wondering if my Les Paul can handle two shipments. It's a Traditional so it came with a hardshell case. I have experience with boxing and shipping guitars.
Sounds like you’re somewhere in my area... if you’re looking for someone reliable to install a nut, go to 30th St Guitars in NYC and see Matt Brewster. Totally unnecessary to send your guitar back to Gibson.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If you want a Corian nut, you don't need to go to Gibson. There are plenty of countertop shops in NYC. I lived and worked in a recording studio above one in Queens. ...nothing like daily deliveries of marble outside your window at 6AM!

Latest Threads