I'm sending my Les Paul to Gibson Repair for a nut replacement.

Hamsterean

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn between Emailing and shipping to Gibson Repair or just going to my local repair shop in nyc by train. Gibson Repair is definitely the best choice since my Les Paul is a Gibson. I'm wondering if my Les Paul can handle two shipments. It's a Traditional so it came with a hardshell case. I have experience with boxing and shipping guitars.

Attachments

• 953CC7CC-6BB1-4F27-8A67-5863FDF0F455.jpeg
    953CC7CC-6BB1-4F27-8A67-5863FDF0F455.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

tigerflame

Reaction score
For a nut? Just go to the local shop. It's not a big job.

As for shipments to Gibson... just use the StewMac shipping system if you end up shipping it, and you'll be fine. Mine made it there from Canada and back again.

geddy

Reaction score
I guess it depends on why it needs a new nut. One thing for sure is that sending it off will take a long time and you'll still need to get the nut tweaked for your preferences. Just my opinion

moreles

Reaction score
Gibson aren’t necessarily gonna cut a nut the best for you. I’ve seen some shocking nuts from Gibson
Yes, yes, and more yes. You're holding Gibson's generic nut work in your hand. They build for mass shipment to anonymous players all over the world. They slot nuts to avoid any possibility of buzzing, not to enhance your personal playability. I totally disagree with the comments saying your local tech can just knock out a great new nut. No, they can't. Most can install and slot a nut reasonably well. There's a substantial difference between that standard and a pro standard. Think of it this way: every bit of excess height (from the first fret) in a nut slot is excess height at every position on the fretboard; every bit of fine-tuning adds playability and feel at every position. Take your fretting finger off the string anywhere on the neck and then press dowh again. I cannot stand the springy feel that you get when string height over the frets is excessive, and with a mediocre nut, you get that lousy feel every single time you release and then press a string down to the fretboard. It's not just bridge/saddle height that determines feel and action when you press down on (fret). The nut also sets string height at the other end.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
love the adjustable nut on my 2015 junior,that sucker is just right...

flognoth

Reaction score
I would take it to the local shop rather then send it to Gibson. Who in the city do you go to?

I also wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of shipping a guitar back to Gibson just for this, especially during the holiday season while a pandemic has wrecked havoc with USPS, UPS and FedEx.

I have the stock nut replaced with a bone nut in all my guitars to my string gauges. I get it done by local shops I've built relationships with over the years.

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn between Emailing and shipping to Gibson Repair or just going to my local repair shop in nyc by train. Gibson Repair is definitely the best choice since my Les Paul is a Gibson. I'm wondering if my Les Paul can handle two shipments. It's a Traditional so it came with a hardshell case. I have experience with boxing and shipping guitars.
Why on earth would you send it to Gibson for a nut? Do they even do repairs? Go to a reputable shop

AudioWonderland

Reaction score

Yes, yes, and more yes. You're holding Gibson's generic nut work in your hand. They build for mass shipment to anonymous players all over the world. They slot nuts to avoid any possibility of buzzing, not to enhance your personal playability. I totally disagree with the comments saying your local tech can just knock out a great new nut. No, they can't. Most can install and slot a nut reasonably well. There's a substantial difference between that standard and a pro standard. Think of it this way: every bit of excess height (from the first fret) in a nut slot is excess height at every position on the fretboard; every bit of fine-tuning adds playability and feel at every position. Take your fretting finger off the string anywhere on the neck and then press dowh again. I cannot stand the springy feel that you get when string height over the frets is excessive, and with a mediocre nut, you get that lousy feel every single time you release and then press a string down to the fretboard. It's not just bridge/saddle height that determines feel and action when you press down on (fret). The nut also sets string height at the other end.
So Gibson is out, and local techs are out.,.. Who exactly do you recommend?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
My 2c would be to find a good local luthier that is known for their good, professional refret's and see if they'll put a new bone nut on for you. They'll highly likely do a great job and you'll probably save on shipping and stress

JMP

Reaction score
No to the Gibson nut. Why get another plastic nut that will need replacing again? Find an experienced tech and get a bone nut on there.
Yeah, this. There’s certainly some good luthiers in NYC. Get a recommendation and get someone local to make a bone nut (and save $80 in shipping!). I had a bone nut installed on my Traditional- it’s a nice improvement.

tigerflame

Reaction score

It's not hard to cut a nut. Anyone who calls themselves a luthier should be able to do it.

OP just needs to take the guitar to a local one.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I concur with everyone else. Why send it to Gibson and have it come back with another less than ideal Corian nut? Undoubtedly someone here can give you a good recommendation for a local luthier for a nice bone or nylon one.

Latest Threads