I'm only 25 and learning this about Iran and Afganistan blew my mind (1970 vs 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
This blew your mind? You didn't realize that they had become more repressive?

River

Reaction score
What, did you skip school for the last 20 years?

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
This blew your mind? You didn't realize that they had become more repressive?
Nope, happened nearly 20 years before I was born and my education mentioned nothing. I was under the assumption things had always been that way over there. Who would think otherwise.

This scares me.

WMB

Reaction score
….Because into the desert of anarchy comes the man on horseback…a Mussolini, or a Hitler, or a Mullah Mohammed Omar.

Byron999

Reaction score
Hey Cow, if you were blessed to have lived a sheltered life during your school years, you're one of the lucky ones. :dude:

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Believe it or not my childhood education (k-12) consisted of nearly 0 history on the Middle East.

I didn't study Middle Eastern history either but this isn't a revelation to me because I watch the news. Did you never hear about that whole American Hostage Crisis thing?

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
I didn't study Middle Eastern history either but this isn't a revelation to me because I watch the news. Did you never hear about that whole American Hostage Crisis thing?
No but I'm not sure what news I'd really be watching since I wasn't born until 20 years after it happened.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, happened nearly 20 years before I was born and my education mentioned nothing. I was under the assumption things had always been that way over there. Who would think otherwise.

This scares me.

Why rely on the schools to teach you everything? Why not do a little reading on your own? I know all kinds of stuff that happened before I was born and that wasn't covered in school.

River

Reaction score
Want me to dig up two photos of like contrast taken in the USA? You'll assume we'd been bombed back to the Stone Age after all.

In the interest of your continuing education, I'll let you do it yourself.

Gooner

Reaction score
The bit that surprises me is that there is a picture of girls in school in Iran in 2009!

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
Why rely on the schools to teach you everything? Why not do a little reading on your own? I know all kinds of stuff that happened before I was born and that wasn't covered in school.
Scumbag Colchar: tells me to do a little reading on my own and not rely on schools after I posted this thread by learning about it on my own, confirming that my school never taught it.

River

Reaction score
Yeah, those newly-primitive Iranian women.

Whatever shall we do? My plan...adopt!

a Mad Cow

Reaction score
Want me to dig up two photos of like contrast taken in the USA? You'll assume we'd been bombed back to the Stone Age after all.

In the interest of your continuing education, I'll let you do it yourself.
I'm not sure what you mean, I see images from the US 50's-70's all the time..the difference in those pictures from the OP doesn't speak anything compared.

Superlizard

Reaction score
Now, now - we shouldn't criticize or judge.

Repressive theocracies are perfectly A-O.K. and lead to progress in society.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
The Muslim fundalmentalists overthrew the Shah. We stood by and let it happen.

Do you know what pre Revolutionary Russia was like? Similar comparisons can be made to that and Bolshevik Russia too.

Status
Not open for further replies.