I'm not stupid but......

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I'm sure enuff not a newb to electric guitar and I acquired my first LP 'bout a year ago.
This question is about dialing in tone of the LP and it's about pup selection when dialing in.
Do you set the guitar with both pups engaged and set up your amp based on that tone or do you use the pup which you mainly use to set your amp up with.?
So you already know what I mean right?
If you prefer playing with the Bridge pup the majority of times for that bright edgy rock sound for both rhythm and lead playing do you set your amp based on that pup and hope that middle and neck positions sound good?
Basically am asking from which pup platform do you set up your amps EQ.
Thanks
BP

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I set my amp up independantly from my guitars, as each guitar sounds different. Even between my LPs.

Yes of course however I want to know on your LP which pick up setting ( bridge/middle/neck / do you chose to set up your amp.?
p.s. You really do need your guitar in order to establish your amp tone

shupe13

Reaction score
I pretty much set my amp as clean as possible. From there I set my pedals to accentuate the particular pickup I use for a particular song or solo etc.
Some pedals give me grind and drive on the bridge pickup and a couple of my pedals help with creaminess in the neck position.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I pretty much set my amp as clean as possible. From there I set my pedals to accentuate the particular pickup I use for a particular song or solo etc.
Some pedals give me grind and drive on the bridge pickup and a couple of my pedals help with creaminess in the neck position.

Thanks Shupe however I want to know on your LP which pick up setting ( bridge/middle/neck / do you chose to set up your amp.?
BP

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Yes of course however I want to know on your LP which pick up setting ( bridge/middle/neck / do you chose to set up your amp.?
I'm mainly use the bridge-pickup, anyway, but I don't necessarily use the pickups as a "guide" to set my amps.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. As I said before, I set up my amps, starting with a flat-EQ (all tone-knobs at around 5), and adjust accordingly. Then, depending on what I'm playing, adjust the guitar controls to suit.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Rocky...with all due respect you HAVE TO use your pick ups to dial in your tone.!
Now because you play mainly on the bridge pick up do you dial in your amp based on that tone coming from that pick up.?

brianbzed

Reaction score
I'm sure enuff not a newb to electric guitar and I acquired my first LP 'bout a year ago.
This question is about dialing in tone of the LP and it's about pup selection when dialing in.
Do you set the guitar with both pups engaged and set up your amp based on that tone or do you use the pup which you mainly use to set your amp up with.?
So you already know what I mean right?
If you prefer playing with the Bridge pup the majority of times for that bright edgy rock sound for both rhythm and lead playing do you set your amp based on that pup and hope that middle and neck positions sound good?
Basically am asking from which pup platform do you set up your amps EQ.
Thanks
BP
Good question! If I am playing mostly distorted leads, using the rhythm pickup, I set the amp EQ bright and crunchy. Then when I switch to the lead pickup, I have screaming brighter EQ and over-the-top crunch and sustain for soloing.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Rocky...with all due respect you HAVE TO use your pick ups to dial in your tone.!
Now because you play mainly on the bridge pick up do you dial in your amp based on that tone coming from that pick up.?
That's my point.

I don't use my guitars/pickups to set my amps. I set the amps, first, then controls on the guitars.

You'd be surprised how much you can control your tone, just from the 3-4 knobs on your guitars.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Good question! If I am playing mostly distorted leads, using the rhythm pickup, I set the amp EQ bright and crunchy. Then when I switch to the lead pickup, I have screaming brighter EQ and over-the-top crunch and sustain for soloing.

Thanks Brian. I understand then that when dialing in your amps tone you will use the neck & bridge pick up in combination. Then when you need to solo you will switch to the bridge pick up. This begs the question: Because your amp tone has been dialed in using the middle/neck combo how do you know that the switch to bridge will give you what you need/want? And same question could be asked if you wanted to use the neck pick up.?
BP

BanditPanda

Reaction score
That's my point.

I don't use my guitars/pickups to set my amps. I set the amps, first, then controls on the guitars.

You'd be surprised how much you can control your tone, just from the 3-4 knobs on your guitars.

That is just counter - intuitive to me. You could have Dimarzzio Super Distortions in one guitar and Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in another guitar and I'm thinking the guitars volume & tone controls will not due justice to those entirely different pick ups.
Now don't get me wrong I am definitely set up and leave it amp guy.
I just want to know which pick up set up is the starting point.
As you do not work your gear in that way you will not be able to help me.
I appreciate your input just the same.
BP

rockstar232007

Reaction score
That is just counter - intuitive to me. You could have Dimarzzio Super Distortions in one guitar and Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in another guitar and I'm thinking the guitars volume & tone controls will not due justice to those entirely different pick ups.
Now don't get me wrong I am definitely set up and leave it amp guy.
I just want to know which pick up set up is the starting point.
As you do not work your gear in that way you will not be able to help me.
I appreciate your input just the same.
BP
Maybe just miscommunication?

In other words, no matter what pickups I use, I don't take them into consideration, when setting my amps. Whatever tones I want to get, I just use knobs on my guitars.

A better way to illuatrate my point:

My amp settings are the same on every track.

BanditPanda

Reaction score

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Maybe just miscommunication?

In other words, no matter what pickups I use, I don't take them into consideration, when setting my amps. Whatever tones I want to get, I just use knobs on my guitars.

A better way to illuatrate my point:

My amp settings are the same on every track.

Not really. He was prolly running thru a Marshall but what were his amp settings? Everything dimed ? Everything at Noon ? And upon which pick up did he base that setting.
Obviously if he had his amp dimed then it wouldn't make a difference lol
BP

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Not really. He was prolly running thru a Marshall but what were his amp settings? Everything dimed ? Everything at Noon ? And upon which pick up did he base that setting.
Obviously if he had his amp dimed then it wouldn't make a difference lol
BP
That's my video. All amp settings were relatively flat (as previously mentioned), and weren't based on any particular pickup settings.

Again, I don't take the pickups into consideration, when setting my amps.

Latest Threads