I'm going to be modding a Special II

JMV

Reaction score
Most definitely the pots/cap/jack/pickups. The nut should work just fine as long as it gets a decent setup. Nicer tuners are always nice on guitars these cheap.

Maybe some GFS pups, CTS pots, PIO cap, Switchcraft jack, new tuners, setup, and bang! Lots o' guitar for the buck.

Akahito

Reaction score
If you have a graphite nut lying around, why not drop it in? The plastic nut would probably need some adjusting anyway, so it's practically the same trouble to swap it to a better material one. I would also do the two volume no tone setup, and coil tapping is always fun. :D Thus new pickups goes without saying. New tuners for sure, I have a bunch of those lying around from back when I did some upgrades to my mate's SG Special, and they're indeed terrible. Bridge, tailpiece, it's all good.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Well....I just got it...

It's actually a "Special".....

I'm gonna see if I have any 4 wire pups lying around. That's gonna have to happen since he won't have any effects onstage and he'll need to go between clean and dirty rhythms. (Coil tapping will help that along immensely.)

Ahhh....now it's time to go shopping. I'll let you know what I come up with. (And any additional suggestions would be great! :thumb: Keep 'em coming!!! )

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Well...so far...I found some Gibson Vintage tuners in my pile 'o parts...those'll be going in along with a new 3 way selector switch and input jack.

I think I've settled on a pup set as well....I think the Seymour Duncan vintage blues set will sound just fine (or a variant thereof)...I haven't decided whether I'm going to get the real deal or some knockoff pickups that are Alnico 2 and measuring around 8.2k ohms resistance. for 30 dollars apiece.

Also...no caps in this guitar. 2 audio push/pull pots. Now the big decision is whether I pony up for 20 dollar push pulls or the 7 dollar ones for this guitar.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I just got around to ordering parts for this....I tried not to spend a lot of money because even though it's his guitar, and he's going to gig with it....

...I just don't see him embracing this guitar over the long haul. I've already told him to check out a Dot Studio because he likes acoustic guitar more than electric.

But....I still did the deed. And this is what I came up with...

I got some of these in black for around 30 bucks. They're a step above the economy tuners that are on there now...

52007716.jpg

I also bought this pickup for the neck for 30 bucks. It's a no name Alnico II pup with about 8.2k ohms resistance.

96373342.gif

It's got a 4 wire shielded lead on it...so I can apply the coil tapping against it and it should make for an OK neck pickup.

16353021.jpg

On the bridge pickup....I have an "EMG select" rail that came out of my Agile Dauntless when I bought it. That'll go in the bridge of the guitar. It'll be significantly hotter...but that's a good thing since he won't have any effects. The push/pull outta let him play clean rhythms when the coil is tapped and then he can just go to the bridge for crunchier rhythms. I don't expect Rob to be playing leads on this one....

The only other matter of business...I'll go buy some Dunlop strap locks at the local music store tomorrow...

chivitajm

Reaction score
Wow...that looks really nice, chivitajm!! :thumb:

thanks, that guitar is my pride not only because i did all the work myself but because that was my first guitar i ever owned. now i have more guitars but i cant get rid of this one.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Well, here's Rob with the final product....

rob1.jpg

Allparts Tuners
Graphite Nut
Chrome Hardware

I had to do a lot of work to the neck and body so that it would hold .011 gauge strings. This is normally a big no-no, but I used a pinch of Gorilla Glue when I put the neck back on (I took it off to bore out the holes for the tuners primarily and to check some stress cracks around the neck)...I also replaced the pots and cap as well as the input jack.

So far...so good. He told me that he only has to tune it ocassionally since the upgrades were done.

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i recently picked up a Special II. Wine Red. Changed the neck, tuners, pots and pickups. I like to mod things, I have extra parts. I am thinking of routing out the control cavity and installing two pots so I can have separate controls for each pickup. What do you think? Sounds like fun, eh? Just a mock-up pic. :)

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Junior 4 pot.jpg
    Junior 4 pot.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 28

Latest Threads