Im getting new pickups.

Tucker2121

Reaction score
Ok. Im stuck. I want that awesome Slash tone and hard rock sound and sweet clean tone out of the Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2 pickups (on the bridge), but also I want the metallica sound out of EMGS( on the neck), is that a good combonation? One Active and one Passive(I think the Seymour duncans r).

Also what Emgs would yall prefer that are uncovered so that my pickups match.

PINKBITS

Reaction score
Mate that is one of the craziest combos I've ever heard of. No offense but :wow:

Seriously, decide what you think you will play the most and then try and look for a pickup set that is fairly versatile.

IDK maybe a Custom 5 bridge and an APH neck or 59 neck.

The custom 5 is on the bright side, neutral mids, great bass and plenty of shove. It will do Metallica, nothing like emgs of course but still pretty heavy.

Both the APH and 59 are your usual PAF style neck pu. If you want the slash neck tone APH no question. I do like the 59 though and does match up very well the the Custom 5.

Good luck young man. :thumb:

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Wow, Look a bit more. There are so many pups out there. You need to tell us what you are putting them in. I am assuming it's a Les Paul. For the slash type tone and a Metalica type of tone look into something maybe in the 9.5 to 12 range. That may seem hot but it will get you in the ball park for both sounds. active and passive will be a big mistake. Active pups were designed for low out put amps so they could drive them, ware as the non active not quite as hot pickup was designed for for high output high gain amps.
Example: Zak Wild uses active EMG's cause he uses a JCM 800 w/out a mod and an overdrive to drive the amp.
Eddie V now uses a pup in the 14 range and a very high gain amp.

Hope this shines some light on the subject for you.

EEF13

Reaction score
Even if you got that combo with the Duncan in the bridge and a EMG in the neck, the neck pickup would overpower the bridge pickup and you could not get that crunchy metal riff sound out of the neck with an emg. You would need a EMG in the bridge to pull off Metallica.

Tucker2121

Reaction score
Mate that is one of the craziest combos I've ever heard of. No offense but :wow:

Seriously, decide what you think you will play the most and then try and look for a pickup set that is fairly versatile.

IDK maybe a Custom 5 bridge and an APH neck or 59 neck.

The custom 5 is on the bright side, neutral mids, great bass and plenty of shove. It will do Metallica, nothing like emgs of course but still pretty heavy.

Both the APH and 59 are your usual PAF style neck pu. If you want the slash neck tone APH no question. I do like the 59 though and does match up very well the the Custom 5.

Good luck young man. :thumb:

Ok those Custom 5's which are those. When I went to Guitar Center there was 3 kind

Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 Humbucker Pickup and more Guitar Pickups and Parts at GuitarCenter.com.

Seymour Duncan SH-5 Duncan Custom Guitar Pickup and more Guitar Pickups and Parts at GuitarCenter.com.

Seymour Duncan TB-5 Custom Trembucker Pickup and more Guitar Pickups and Parts at GuitarCenter.com.

or for my bridge should i stick with the Alnico Pro 2 for the bridge, and a Duncan 59 for the neck?

HellfireLP

Reaction score
there's only 1 custom "5"....the SH-14...i have the custom 5 bridge, and 59 in the neck in my R9...the neck sounds awesome...the bridge is too bright... but i have an RS kit on the way to help even i out...so we will see...

HellfireLP

Reaction score
although ive thought about the alinco 2's in the bridge also...

PINKBITS

Reaction score
there's only 1 custom "5"....the SH-14...i have the custom 5 bridge, and 59 in the neck in my R9...the neck sounds awesome...the bridge is too bright... but i have an RS kit on the way to help even i out...so we will see...

The bridge is bright yes, however you can roll off top end a bit you can't add it. :thumb:

The brightness of this pickup IMO helps under heavy distortion for the Metallica type tones.

This pickup also responds really well to height adjustment.

PINKBITS

Reaction score
How bout Alnico 2's in Bridge and '59s in neck?

Really depends on the specific pickup.

I played classic rock, rock, hard rock, hard blues and metal all with the SH14 and SH1.

It's a gamble mate, like all pickup purchases. Seymour recommends the 59 and Custom 5 as a set. He maybe one of the mass producers but the guy didn't get where he did by not knowing his shit. :cool:

I'd suggest just trying to find them used.

Or you can also just swap out the a5 magnet in the Custom 5 for an A2 magnet. This will make a SH-11 Custom Custom.

Progressive - Custom 5™ SH-14 and TB-14 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Seriously, just read the pickup descriptions. I have always founds them to be pretty spot on.

PINKBITS

Reaction score
How bout Alnico 2's in Bridge and '59s in neck?

Sorry mate I misunderstood your question. You meant an APH and 59 Combo. Not pickup with A2 magnet.

IDK. I would personally go with one of the customs. Me the SH14.

All I did was roll the volume back on the sh14 to tame it a bit. Worked for me.

PINKBITS

Reaction score
Not that the OP has said but I'm going to presume that WCR may be out of his price range. :hmm:

If he was to go the boutique way I would currently suggest Wolfetone. Still has 20% off at the moment.

Maybe a Fenris bridge and Caretaker neck. IDK.

Not that there is anything wrong with WCR, just pretty expensive IMO.

I have personally found that Duncans overall are a pretty safe bet and easy to offload with minimal loss if not quite your flavour. Also very easy to find used.

MrRhoads

Reaction score
to get good clean metallica tone in the neck i would choose a pickup with ceramic magnet.
What i know of metallica has used both EMG 81 & 60 in the neck.
But i believe many ceramic neck pickups are hotter than the Alnico 2 pro bridge.

Have a look at this EMG pickup (passive) as a alternative for the neck position of your guitar.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not that the OP has said but I'm going to presume that WCR may be out of his price range. :hmm:

Not that there is anything wrong with WCR, just pretty expensive IMO.

I have personally found that Duncans overall are a pretty safe bet and easy to offload with minimal loss if not quite your flavour. Also very easy to find used.

Yes, WCR is expensive...I tend to like the boutique PUs more so, I end up spending too much. And you are also right, buying Duncans on ebay can be cheap. (I have bought a number of them on ebay and ended up putiing in some Lollars instead.)

Tucker2121

Reaction score
to get good clean metallica tone in the neck i would choose a pickup with ceramic magnet.
What i know of metallica has used both EMG 81 & 60 in the neck.
But i believe many ceramic neck pickups are hotter than the Alnico 2 pro bridge.

Have a look at this EMG pickup (passive) as a alternative for the neck position of your guitar.

How bout that guys?

Or stick with the '59 with the Custom 5

qwank

Reaction score
the problem here is James and Slash both use the neck pickups most of the time. EMG60 in the neck for Metallica (my personaly favorite EMG also) or an Alnico V in the neck for the Slash stuff.

I myself dont really care for the Slash tone. i do however love the Metallica tone. I would go with the EMGs. probably 60/81.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Hey Tucker hears a good question and maybe I missed it what Rig you using. That will make a huge difference. Is it modded low gain, high gain. Cause IMO active plus high gain is all bad.

Tucker2121

Reaction score
Well guys I'm pretty certain i'm getting a Custom 5 in the bridge, but then the Neck, im not sure. Alnico 2 in the neck or '59? I love slash and I know he plays out of the neck alot. But I know good ol Seymour knows his stuff. So guys?

Latest Threads