I'm Gassing for a '68 Gold Top! Let's see yours.

akkermanfan

Reaction score
Latesixtieslespauls.com is an excellent way to learn more about these 68’s. My GT is a very early 69 with 68 pots. The number is 54076x. It’s all original and beat up from tons of play. I’ll post some close ups later. It is a long tenon neck.
Hi, typical for the pressure of the serial number is that it is slightly slant going up in the 540 ... series. Is yours also like this ?

djd100

Reaction score
This was a early 69 GT, which I bought already stripped in the mid-70's (long tenon, small headstock, two piece book-matched top, one piece body and neck). Shortly after that I added the real 59 PAF's, nickel H/W, and Grovers. I sold a 56 LP Special to get this (DOH!, should've kept it, though you can see the vintage 56 Switch Tip from the 56 Special on the 69 GT.

Great sounding LP, which weighs in at 9lbs even with the Grovers.

Rigidarm

Reaction score
Hi, typical for the pressure of the serial number is that it is slightly slant going up in the 540 ... series. Is yours also like this ?
I noticed that it was off center but didn’t think much of it. So after your question I took a good look and not only is it off center toward the left it also rises as it goes right.

Attachments

akkermanfan

Reaction score
I noticed that it was off center but didn’t think much of it. So after your question I took a good look and not only is it off center toward the left it also rises as it goes right.
Hi Rigidarm, thanks for your reply ! It is a curiosity of Gibson from about early to mid 1969 I think, because I've seen already much serial numbers of these series, starting at about 537 xxx, being pressured in this way.

Curious George

Reaction score
Not sure it's been mentioned, or how consistent... but mine had a pretty meaty neck. Actually one of the best necks ever, but it was in no way small.

red_house356

Reaction score
Sorry for the necrobump, but just got this last week and I've been lurking MLP for a bit. I have a couple of vintage pieces and hope to contribute as much as possible.

Early Series (Sept. '68- April '69) Gibson Les Paul: 541xxx. She dates to '69. One piece neck and body, 2 piece maple top, long tendon, small piece of maple laminate under maple top, no dotted i, and larger headstock. "Early series" specs according to latesixtiesLPs. I am the third owner. The first one stripped the gold top. The second removed the p90s for Dimarzio Dual Tones (Super D's), Schaller tuners, and added the chrome Nashville/stoptail. I hope to get this up to more "vintage" specs with proper kluson style tuners, abr 1/aluminum stoptail, and Rewind Low Output PAFs (maybe Wizz LTD NOS Wires later on). Weighs 9.3 lbs. Sounds lively unplugged, quick attack, massive sustain, with a sweet top end. Definitely a warmer sounding LP. There is subtle flame to the neck and maple top. Pickguard was signed by Les Paul during the '80s, but has faded since. The case rinks of smoke, so you can clearly see the aging from all the smoke. I might keep it stripped, do a bourbon burst, or redo the goldtop.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
All of these pics of those nicely maintained '68-'69 GT's just reinforces my opinion that the relic'ing on the new RI '68 GT is over-the-top ridiculous. There are plenty of beautiful GT's from that era that don't have a finish that is as wrecked as that stupid reissue. They should put out an NOS or slightly aged version of the reissue along with the over-relic'd one they put out. Not really fitting to this thread, but related.
Al

red_house356

Reaction score
The late '60s clear bobbins are probably my 2nd-3rd favorite "era" of p90s. Those magohany spacers are big haha.

axehandler

Reaction score
Here is mine. Its a little heavy but plays and sounds great. An interesting thing about this one is that Ed King sent me an email a few years ago and said he thought he (possibly) owned this one. He couldn't find any pics though, but I still have the emails. Before anyone feels the need to point out that that means nothing, I'm just saying its a fun thought.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did these have 50's style fat necks or were they slimmer?

moonweasel

Reaction score
Drool..... love this thread!

The new, aged R68 is modeled on a real guitar. While I haven't seen pics of that particular instrument, I have seen originals that are full on beat, green, and aged everywhere. Mapleflame has a 69 that is a great example of how aged these can be. (His is natural aging of course).

Latest Threads