Im finally gonna have fast internet!

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pay 60 bucks a month for 200 meg. Suddenlink.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
At work they have TV on satellight. If a storm comes through they get nada on the TV.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have CenturyClunk.... If a cloud passes the equater, it dies.... If a cloud doesn't cross the equator, it dies....

Running at the speed of dark on a good day....

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have CenturyClunk.... If a cloud passes the equater, it dies.... If a cloud doesn't cross the equator, it dies....

Running at the speed of dark on a good day....
Satellite was likely built by Lucas Electrics...

Reactions: ehb

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I live in the sticks.... i mean the stttiiicccckkkkssss. i could set a lawn chair in the road in front of my house and read a good portion of a novel before id have to move for a car. I have DSL and they have oversold it to the population down here so what was 3.5 mps is now maybe 1 mps.... (im not joking)

I looked into satellite internet and found a company that doesn't cap your data, no limits at all. I got the 20mps package.... now i know some of you are saying thats not that fast.... but for me? boy howdy i will acutally be able to upload my music to soundcloud, along with a slew of other things.

They acutally mount a satellite dish on the tallest tree on your property to point to the tower on the mountain. they came out today to make sure it would work here and they said it would. they are coming out in January to install it (i have no idea whats with the wait) but its worth it! I cant wait!
Why is the dish pointed towards a tower and not a satellite?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Microwave point to point?

"We've" always played around with the addition of terrestrial distribution (redistribution) for the satellite companies (Dish, Directv, Hughes). However, given his location, they'd have to have a bunch of customers to justify the cost of being on the tower and the equip.

That is why I am curious.

Howard2k

Reaction score
I had a 40Mb/s service. I don’t understand why people pay for crazy high speeds. Bragging rights, sure, but I think a lot of people waste a shit-ton of money of high speeds.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a 40Mb/s service. I don’t understand why people pay for crazy high speeds. Bragging rights, sure, but I think a lot of people waste a shit-ton of money of high speeds.
4k video signals? That has to be pretty fat. (I don't know though.)

Generally I think people want high speeds for HD Netflix and the like.

I was surprised to realize gaming doesn't actually need a fast signal. Not like it's sending graphics or sounds, it's just positional data and shot placement, pinging to keep things as much in synch with other gamers as possible. I would've though gaming needed a good connection, but surprisingly not as good as I first thought.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
No company wants to either lay cable or fiber for homes on 5 acres each..in the foothills near Tucson.. It's a big country..all spread out..
We live in the middle of town and up till last year our options were satellite internet or suddenlink (we have them at work and I'm not paying those bastards a dime for their sorry internet). The town put in some of the firewire internet, and dear God it's fast. I've never been able to watch an HD video on the internet before and now some stuff automatically loads in 4K.

Howard2k

Reaction score
4k video signals? That has to be pretty fat. (I don't know though.)

Generally I think people want high speeds for HD Netflix and the like.

I was surprised to realize gaming doesn't actually need a fast signal. Not like it's sending graphics or sounds, it's just positional data and shot placement, pinging to keep things as much in synch with other gamers as possible. I would've though gaming needed a good connection, but surprisingly not as good as I first thought.
You can watch HD Netflix with 30Mb/s.
You can possibly get by with less, it depends how the stream is encoded. Some are adaptive. For gaming its more about latency. Bandwidth matters too, but you’re right, not as much. Bandwidth matters more for the 20GB download you need when you first put the drive in the console :laugh2:

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
no doubt!

"Oh man can't wait to play my new game!!!" **puts in game-disk**

"45 GB Download required?!?!! ….. FFFFFFFUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!"

Howard2k

Reaction score
no doubt!

"Oh man can't wait to play my new game!!!" **puts in game-disk**

"45 GB Download required?!?!! ….. FFFFFFFUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!"

My son was playing on my PS4 today and accidentally kicked off updates for three different games. It came out to about 59GB. Unreal. My PS4 updates are a significant portion of my monthly Internet use.

Latest Threads