I'm done riding motorcycles.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Had to go to the bank this mornin' and was gonna ride my Harley. I decided to take my truck because I ate Scrawny Ronnies last night and still have the shits. Decided I better not have a vibrating bike under my ass.
A guy just up from my house was in front of me on a decker and a little baby deer ran out and he hit it and went down hard. He was a mess. Thank God he had a helmet on as it was smacked up pretty good. He had deep cuts and scrapes and at least a broken shoulder from the crash.

I called 911 and sat with him and directed traffic until the bambalance showed up. The guy is gonna live, but I started shaking and felt sick at the thought that could have been me had I taken my bike.

I had a bad accident about 5 years ago and still hurt from it. I felt this guys pain big time. He is a riding instructor and I'm glad he was at least dressed for riding.

I called my wife and told her it's time to sell the bikes and she agreed.

I've been riding for 35 years on the road and many more in the dirt and the decision has me really upset, but with all the boomers aging, cell phone use and a boom in deer this year, it's just time. I can't take another hit like I had and seeing this guy laying in the middle of the road really got to me.

I still have the shakes and don't feel good. It scared the shit outta me.

For those that ride.....for F*** sakes, wear the appropriate protection. Your life truly does depend on it.
That is all. Have a safe day. :)

Lungo

Reaction score
My wife has a good friend that used to ride. She would go on rides with family/friends. Her, her dad, and mom were all on a ride together and the front riders had a collision with a vehicle. Her mom was killed. She has sold her bike and has no interest in ever getting on one again.

I think what you're feeling is quite normal and I think I would probably feel the same way.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you going to thank Scrawny Ronnie for his crappy food?
Thought of that. Seeing that guy laying in the road and dealing with my decision not to ride anymore has my gut ripped up. I threw up when I got home. Who'd of thought that McDonalds may have saved my life.
I'm really not dealing well with not riding....it's what makes me happy and is my release from stress. This whole morning just sucks ass.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
It may pay off.

The whole reason I'm on MLP...my wife saw a guy get hit and die. She texted me from the scene "Sell the bike. I love you".

I put the Golding on Craigslist, and ended up trading it for my very first Gibson Les Paul.
Now that's awesome right there. :)

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at @TheX, he bailed out on a big part of his life, jumped on a mountain bike (bicycle) and he's happy and healthy.
I know. I thought of him today too. This guy's helmet looked like the X's helmet after his crash. We've all been very lucky.

I used to bike ride on a huge trail system with my wife (bicycles). My doctor had a collision with another rider on the very trails I rode on and even with a bicycle helmet, went into a coma and never recovered.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Had to go to the bank this mornin' and was gonna ride my Harley. I decided to take my truck because I ate Scrawny Ronnies last night and still have the shits. Decided I better not have a vibrating bike under my ass.
A guy just up from my house was in front of me on a decker and a little baby deer ran out and he hit it and went down hard. He was a mess. Thank God he had a helmet on as it was smacked up pretty good. He had deep cuts and scrapes and at least a broken shoulder from the crash.

I called 911 and sat with him and directed traffic until the bambalance showed up. The guy is gonna live, but I started shaking and felt sick at the thought that could have been me had I taken my bike.

I had a bad accident about 5 years ago and still hurt from it. I felt this guys pain big time. He is a riding instructor and I'm glad he was at least dressed for riding.

I called my wife and told her it's time to sell the bikes and she agreed.

I've been riding for 35 years on the road and many more in the dirt and the decision has me really upset, but with all the boomers aging, cell phone use and a boom in deer this year, it's just time. I can't take another hit like I had and seeing this guy laying in the middle of the road really got to me.

I still have the shakes and don't feel good. It scared the shit outta me.

For those that ride.....for F*** sakes, wear the appropriate protection. Your life truly does depend on it.
That is all. Have a safe day. :)
I gave up riding 2 yrs ago. I still have the bike but haven't riden since March of 2016. My back and neck just can't take it anymore.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
The way people drive now it is dangerous for car drivers like me. My brother is in the Niagara Harley owners group, all the old riders look like they've been through hell. I saw a huge old Caddy drive around stopped traffic then ran a red light without so much as a tap on the brake.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I've had two deer hit me in my cars...in the suburbs of NYC. One ran into the side rear quarter of my moving car.

Despite riding my bike mostly in Maine, I have yet to see a deer, while on my bike. My greatest fear riding in Maine is encountering a moose at night. They don't have the luminous eyes (teptum lucidum) that deer have.

When I was younger, the only protection I wore was my helmet. Now, I only ride with head to toe protection.

I wish your buddy a speedy and full recovery.

SGeoff

Reaction score
when you feel its time, its time. you need razor reflexes and the will to put your life on the line every time you do it. Riding while being half afraid of the possible outcome is no fun, and would probably diminish your skill level. Confidence that you know how, and doing the right thing at the right time is crucial. 2nd guess don't make it

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
when you feel its time, its time. you need razor reflexes and the will to put your life on the line every time you do it. Riding while being half afraid of the possible outcome is no fun, and would probably diminish your skill level. Confidence that you know how, and doing the right thing at the right time is crucial. 2nd guess don't make it
Exactly.....I enjoyed riding when I was a young man. Fear and diminished reflexes say to me stay off of them.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
This was the last motorcycle I owned, had brand new tires that day ready for the last trip to Arkansas. It was an amazing trip. Only took a split second fro the guy on the Gixxer to almost (seriously) kill me last July 9th.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a lower unit failure in a 100mph boat, but was only going about 40 at the time. If I had been at speed, the boat would have gone left and I’d have kept going straight, skimming across the water. That was my sign off. I was a nut about being safe when going fast, but nothing can prepare you for too many possible bad scenarios. It was fun while it lasted, but no more. My new boat tops out around 30.

Namelyguitar

Reaction score
Hey, Glad you're okay! Prayers going out for the rider.

That's a very sobering post about the event. Enjoy your new life!

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I sold my motocross bike 2 years ago. I LOVE that sport, but, with my daughter having the issues she does both physically and mentally, I simply cannot afford to get hurt. It would be very selfish.

I do still have my Harley. Ride to work and back mostly......33 miles each way, most of it Expressway. It's the safest possible riding. Traffic flows in one direction, nobody pulls out in front of you, etc.. I stay in the right lane except when passing semi's. That way, I have that "buffer lane" incase the shit does hit the fan. I wear full face helmet, long pants, boots and a Kevlar jacket. I'm 49, and I imagine one day, I'll hang up the helmet, but for now, it's strictly road bike for me.

Earlier this year, a friend did invite me out to a local MX track and let me ride one of his bikes. It was a practice day....no race. I went out for about 4 fifteen min. sessions. He said he wanted to "go-pro" me for a few laps. I was on a 2003 2 stroke CR 125, and he was on a 2016 KTM 450. He stayed right behind me for a lap.....then I couldn't resist. Laid the hammer down for two more laps and he was nowhere in site. LOL. Came back to the trailer to "Dude, WTF!? How embarrassing. I didn't think you'd be hitting the jumps like that...I couldn't hang". Just as I was about to head out for the last session of the day, two ambulances rolled in to deal with someone that had wrecked pretty bad. I threw in the towel for the day, thanked him for having me out, realized that was a REALLY stupid move, and could have been me on the ground, and left.

As you get older, and life circumstances change, so does the risk vs. reward factor. I'll always miss MX man, but......