I'm confused about the goings-on @Gibson

skydog

Reaction score
This is NOT a bashing thread, nor do I want it to become one. For the last couple of years or so, I've read a lot about how bad Henry is at the helm, and how all the major players from designers and builders have been let go or left voluntarily. There were also posts describing how poorly the shop people were treated and how nobody decent would stay. This of course was all coupled with the financial issues Gibson has also been facing. Painted a pretty gruesome picture of Gibson's future. Recently I've read some very heavy praising of the 2018 Historics. Many are saying these are the finest ever. The ones I've seen are all that and more! Does anyone else see the discrepancy in this?

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Reaction score
We've been hearing the old "this is Gibson's finest year for Historics" line as far back as I can remember. I have a 2013 Bourbon Historic, first year of the Custom Custom pickups and the aniline dye on the backs. Everyone said that was the best year. But I can't verify that it was. Honestly, who can verify that any year is Gibson's best year for this or that?

I only know the ones that have passed through my hands over the last 30 years as I've tried and purchased many, and I can tell you that because they are "hand-made" the specs, craftsmanship and quality will forever be widely varying for every year.

I've seen some turds and some gems, and in fact, I own (only) three right now myself. But I had to look for years to find them. I've always found the majority of them to be just average and worth passing by for the price.

Gibson's guitars get a bad rap because people expect their dream to be made true when they fork over their money. As far as the business and how the workers are treated, I often ask myself how they can even make a product as well as they do in the kind of work environment laid out at the website below.

Nevertheless, I'll always be a fan of Gibson's most famous and classic guitar designs.

Glassdoor.com

Last edited:

DarthPaul

Reaction score
The past few years have been confusing, but it appears that they have found their groove again. Given the departure of long-time employees, bankruptcy drama, and repurposing older models - you really have to wonder. I have faith that they will continue to produce quality guitars.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Recently I've read some very heavy praising of the 2018 Historics. Many are saying these are the finest ever.
The same is said every year. 2009s were the finest ever when then were new, then 2010s were the finest ever, then 2011s, etc, etc. Right now, it's the 2018s, the same will be said about the 2019s, and so on, and so on.

toymaker

Reaction score
Perhaps this will clear things up...people proclaimed how poorly managed things were, how bad the conditions and how many people felt unhappy - at the same time people post how nice the product coming out was/is...the 2 things are unrelated.

I can hate my job and be a professional and not produce crap.

There has been no “redesign” the basic design of a R series is now 60 years old - not much rejiggering needed year to year.

The changes have been nicer tops, BRW and hide glue...not new employees. Hopefully they take the lessons learned and emerge stronger going forward.

toymaker

Reaction score
Also, I’ll add...name me 2 “master builders” in the CS in the last 15 years....people who regularly built LPs...not just had their name on a COA or who did press interviews.

G ain’t Fender...the builders are faceless - they don’t rely on “names” to sell product.

Chicago John

Reaction score
This is also the case with 2017s. The ones I have seen are flawless. No finishing mistakes- the quality was definitely improved I think. It looks like it was too little, too late.

skydog

Reaction score
We already have one toilet thread going. ;)
This wan't meant to be a toilet thread, actually quite the opposite. I am looking really hard at a certain '18 TH, but thanks for your keen insight.

skydog

Reaction score
The same is said every year. 2009s were the finest ever when then were new, then 2010s were the finest ever, then 2011s, etc, etc. Right now, it's the 2018s, the same will be said about the 2019s, and so on, and so on.
True; when I bought my 2010 R7, it was sold as “pre-flood, pre-raid” wood!

skydog

Reaction score
This claim is made by many EVERY year. Whatever the present year is, it’s the bestest ever!!1! (with the exception of 2012).
Yeah; that same retort has been made twice now too.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This claim is made by many EVERY year. Whatever the present year is, it’s the bestest ever!!1! (with the exception of 2012).
Hey, I've got a 2012... I'll never look at it the same... Ever....

Now I've got a complex....probably have bad dreams too......

Damnit.

CRobbins

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned 6 historics LPs, from 5 different years. They have all been nice guitars imho. The one I have now is a 2014 R9.

Last edited:

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I own two 2015s and both are top notch builds. Zero issues with both. Neither is a custom shop or high end Gibson.
Gibson has been around long enough to know how to execute whatever they want, no matter if it’s a 2013 LPJ , a 2015 HP or a 2018 R series. Like Fender, PRS and ESP, they don’t build things by accident.
There is no secret sauce.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've got a 2012... I'll never look at it the same... Ever....

Now I've got a complex....probably have bad dreams too......

Damnit.

A few major factors you overlooked that would overcome ANY (real or perceived) flaws: The Tao of Edro, The Power of The Cat, and...POPCORN!!!!.

Latest Threads