I'm a watch guy now

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a few larger watches, usually Seikos, but I prefer smaller, thinner watches. I don't like "busy" so I look for a decent, plain watch that's barely noticeable. I have a Skagen SKW6522 that's 38mm and a mere 6mm thick. I don't need no Quarter Pounder on my wrist :D

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
full

fernieite

Reaction score
I was on my break at the theatre a couple of days ago when one of the scene change crew guys comes over and lifts up and turns my wrist. I thought he wanted to know what time it was....no....he walked away muttering "oh, just a Seiko"
And I thought....dude! you push scenery around for a living and you come over here to judge my watch? :slap:

Man, what a rude and condescending idiot! :mad2:

I have a 1979 Seiko King Quartz. It was made back in the day when Seiko was trying to make a high accuracy time piece. It keeps time to about +/- 20 seconds per year! Not bad for a 42 year old.... Seiko. :h5:
(They actually got it down to +/-5 seconds per year on some models at that time!!!)

I've got the stainless metal strap on mine now. Like the one pictured.

my 79 king quartz.jpg
Seiko bracelet.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Have been hankering after a nice chronograph. Made here in New Zealand and this particular one is limited to 1,000 pieces. Should have it early next week, happy to post up a few pics when I have it if anyone's interested
Arrived this morning and I am impressed. Lots of 'case candy' as well as a lovely outer case, plus a plush leather case with various inserts and a brown and blue leather strap. The first and only manual wind in my collection

3UKRqi9l.jpg

At 44mm it's big but not stupidly large; the lume looks reassuringly strong as it's visible in the daylight! This Limited Edition model of 1,000 pieces is from 2012 - NOS that's never been worn and the serial number on this one is in the low 200's. I can see this one getting a lot of wrist time

DotStudio

Reaction score
Why are so many “good” watches so big?

The beauty of a watch is how small they can make the components. I swear the “huge watch” thing is a compensation thing like guys with big trucks who never haul anything.

It can’t be that the watch needs to be that size. Look at Dave’s Hanhart or Mini’s Seiko. They are the only reasonably sized watches shown in this thread.
Screenshot_20210701-210245_Google.jpg

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Bump.

Bought another a few weeks ago. Love this thing. 3861 hesalite if you're into Speedmasters.

I'm getting a Submariner next. I could have gotten it already want said to wait until January just to space out the purchases.

Nice. I have the sapphire crystal version. Still wear my speedy moon watch 85% of the time as my daily driver, I do rotate my Subs in too, but I nearly had a heart attack on the grey market pricing on those recently...OMG. I got my first Sub 3yrs ago and now same model 6K more than I paid for it even on the grey market. I got one on grey market (Authentic Watches) and my other sub via AD. I'd like a GMT one of these days......

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Nice. I have the sapphire crystal version.
Nice. I refuse to buy a grey Sub because it's pure greed. I joined a Canadian Rolex buy & sell Facebook group maybe four months ago. Hulks were $27k then, one was listed yesterday for $42k. :shock:

Not going grey forces me to play dealer games but that's fine. My wife wants a few more watches, some jewelry, I would like a few more Omegas, I'll use that as leverage for future stainless Rolex.

I bought this Speedy, 31mm Date Just for my wife, 38mm Tudor Royal for a gift within two months from the same shop, that was enough to get me their next received Sub but not enough for a GMT, the one I really wanted. Oh well, I'll get a GMT later on. At least they're being open with me, there is no waiting list, they just choose who gets what based on past purchases.

I'm not a watch guy
I should have stayed this way. It's a lot cheaper. :laugh2:

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Nice. I refuse to buy a grey Sub because it's pure greed. I joined a Canadian Rolex buy & sell Facebook group maybe four months ago. Hulks were $27k then, one was listed yesterday for $42k. :shock:

Not going grey forces me to play dealer games but that's fine. My wife wants a few more watches, some jewelry, I would like a few more Omegas, I'll use that as leverage for future stainless Rolex.

I bought this Speedy, 31mm Date Just for my wife, 38mm Tudor Royal for a gift within two months from the same shop, that was enough to get me their next received Sub but not enough for a GMT, the one I really wanted. Oh well, I'll get a GMT later on. At least they're being open with me, there is no waiting list, they just choose who gets what based on past purchases.

I should have stayed this way. It's a lot cheaper. :laugh2:

Totally agree. The grey market is just obscene. I was told I was '2nd' on the 'list' when I got my sub at the AD, but we know the 'list' is subjective. They bumped me up higher due to my past purchases as they were an Omega dealer long ago, and I bought matching his/her Seamasters from there. Now they are Rolex, Tudor, Cartier, everything but Omega. Private jeweler, not Tourneau or the likes. Bad thing is they may not take my Seamaster I've been wanting to trade in, use towards a GMT. They said since they don't 'sell' Omegas they won't take them in trade....Um, ok....next silly statement! It'd be sold used anyway and since this is a private jewler/AD for other brands, they sure as hell sell 'used' watches! I did buy my non-date stainless Sub from them in 2020 so may still have enough 'clout' to not wait an eternity, but I'd still probably have to wait several months. No biggie if I decide to do it.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show yours if you want. :thumb:

Before this, I had a Swiss Military dive looking thing that was in a drawer since the mid '90s until I sold it a few months ago, and an Esq that was a gift 15 years ago from my mother-in-law that I said "thank you" and stuck in the same drawer right away. The funny thing is, I took them both out a few months ago to sell and the Esq is actually a women's watch. WTF? :laugh2: She said she didn't know and I gave it to my cousin who hoards cheaper watches.

I bought a pilot watch last month and have been absolutely infatuated with it from the moment I opened the box. It comes off for showers but that's it and I told my wife she can sleep in the other room if the bed isn't large enough for the three of us. :laugh2:

Laco Dortmund, 45mm diameter. There are many pilot watch brands out there but I gravitate towards Laco because they didn't modernize the watch like the rest. It's like comparing a Gibson R9 to a Les Paul Traditional. Traditionals are fine guitars but don't cut it if you want 50s specs.

Other companies contour the lugs, polish the case, add complications and power reserves. The originals weren't like that, so I don't want mine to be either. It's a lot like Les Pauls. There are much getter guitars out there ergonomically but we're all on MLP and assume we love Les Pauls including their flaws.

The only thing "wrong" about my watch, if you're a snob, is that it's not the correct 55mm size, but much like Gibson reissues, they gouge you for the 55mm replica. Mine was $1,350. Laco also sells 39mm and 42mm versions for $1,100 - $1,200, and then they bend you over for the 55mm replica, $4,190.

This is very stupid but I'm buying the 55mm in a few weeks as I've been obsessed with it for a good three weeks now and the GAS has been relentless. Relentless. Other people spend a lot more on watches and have huge collections, so I don't feel bad having two that and I don't care that they look the same because these are the only watches I like enough to buy, plus the 10mm difference will make them wear very differently. Well, I do like black and blue dial Rolex Cellinis but they are too small and wouldn't wear something that expensive.

I don't regret the Dortmund purchase at all and look forward to the day I hand it to my son (assuming he will want it). Being a Les Paul nut, I had his birthday engraved on the back in the Les Paul format, 9 0914, and will do the same to the 55mm.

When you've finally purchased a Gibson R9 and have reached the end of the rainbow:

1636994951167.png

Mr. Pickles

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gotten into watch collecting myself, mostly Seiko mechanicals and Citizen Eco-Drive's, as much under $500 as I can get them. I don't like quartz / digital watches, but I did go for this. Perfect accuracy, solar powered, auto date and DST, calibratable so that all hand align perfectly with indices. Very classy, dimensional and eye catching in the right lighting. Overpriced, IMO:

1636996040784.png

1636996267810.png

Mr. Pickles

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
one delivered today... really really nice at the price point.

View attachment 572110

Very nice. I like Citizens like this, and have similar models (usually from the Caliber series). I have no use for a watch that only tells the time. It has to at least have a day-of-the-month complication, and I much prefer have Day/Date/Day of the week.

DotStudio

Reaction score
Bump.

Bought another a few weeks ago. Love this thing. 3861 hesalite if you're into Speedmasters.

I'm getting a Submariner next. I could have gotten it already want said to wait until January just to space out the purchases.

I bought a Speedmaster Reduced a month ago, but sent it back. Just looked too small on my wrist, and I'm not a big dude. I've been going back and forth on the hesalite and sapphire Moonwatches. I like the scratch resistance of the sapphire, but the hesalite looks better imo.

Latest Threads