I'm a watch guy now

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've brought this watch up a few times here, because it's so unique.

I have a mid-50s Hanhart chronograph, Kal.41:

20210424_115436.jpg

Hanhart made chronos for the German Luftwaffe during the war. After the war they had a lot of old stock, and made a run at the civilian market. They're still in business, making fine timepieces for the motorsports / racing crowd.

Steve McQueen wore a Hanhart wartime chrono frequently. It's in a lot of his racing pictures.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I've brought this watch up a few times here, because it's so unique.

I have a mid-50s Hanhart chronograph, Kal.41:

View attachment 533552

Hanhart made chronos for the German Luftwaffe during the war. After the war they had a lot of old stock, and made a run at the civilian market. They're still in business, making fine timepieces for the motorsports / racing crowd.

Steve McQueen wore a Hanhart wartime chrono frequently. It's in a lot of his racing pictures.
Do you know what year that was made Dave. I like chrono's.

Edit: I see you said mid '50s.

Last edited:

bungle

Reaction score
Haven’t owned a watch in 25 years.:dunno:

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have my old Tag, Indy 500, but I really want a Tag, Link series.

DSC_0445_10512.jpg

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Do you know what year that was made Dave. I like chrono's.

Edit: I see you said mid '50s.
After getting a response from Hanhart from an inquiry I sent, it's somewhere between 1955 and 1957. They sent me a catalog from those years.

She still runs like a top!

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
After getting a response from Hanhart from an inquiry I sent, it's somewhere between 1955 and 1957. They sent me a catalog from those years.

She still runs like a top!
It sure looks great for it's age.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I love watches. Like guitars, you can never have too many.

My son is graduating college next month. I have been thinking about getting him a watch as a graduation gift. However, I am somewhat reticent to do it without consulting him, first (because watches are so personal). I'd like something that will last for generations,* but also something that won't get him mugged, as he will be living in NYC.

If I was buying for me, I'd probably get a Tag Monaco, Tudor Black Bay, Breitling Super Ocean (or Avenger), Zenith Port Royal or Baume et Mercier Hampton.

I'm thinking that something like this (Breitling Super Ocean) might be good for him.

*I will probably also give him my Montblanc Meisterstuck pen that my parents gave me when I graduated business school, but I might save that until he graduates business school. I have used that pen to sign every important contract over the past three decades.

Last edited:

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing fancy here. Just a couple of Seikos. I guess I have an odd wrist size. My most recent Seiko was a 20-yr anniversary gift from the company. I took it in to the jeweler but they could only get the band too tight or too loose. So I opted for too loose but it slides around like a bracelet. Back in the box it goes.

My daily is a Garmin with GPS so I can track what little outside activity I do. I had an Apple watch for years but my eyes can't read it anymore so features like text messages etc are lost on me now. But I do miss the haptic feedback for directions while driving.

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
Daily wearer is a G Shock square. Got about 8 G’s, all boxed, don’t tend to rotate them these days.
Also, got acouple of Citizen eco drive divers and a Seiko 1st gen Monster.
Bought myself an Omega Seamaster as a belated 40th.
As a qualified HSE commercial diver, although not dived for years, this will be my next watch, love a proper tool dive watch. Not the original CO22, but close enough.

FAD1016F-89F2-4E43-9245-9F62557B17A5.jpeg

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Good stuff everyone.

I did it, I am officially stupid. :thumb:
I could have bought a Gibson R9, or R8 with a small tube amp, but instead bought the 55mm version of the 45mm watch I already have.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just two weeks ago dug my old Seiko out of a drawer and put a new battery in it. Not exactly the quality of others here but I like it.
Nuttin' wrong with runnin' what you can afford.

An Epiphone will still get you some tail.

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
Upon retiring January 2000......after a 23 year career in the US Army.... I purchased a ROLEX SUBMARINER to signify the achievement. Later on....In order to maintain parody, ........I bought the wife a TAG . I had not as yet met her when I got the ROLEX...I just could not be rolling about sporting a SUBMARINER and the old girl wearing a cheapo watch...she loves the watch and ...NOT FOR NUTHIN......the wife completely supported the acquisition...GAS....if you will..of a 2019 R8, a Clark Piedmont, and just yesterday a 65 Deluxe Reverb...Yes i did speak to Lance, again....So there is that.

socialhero

Reaction score
Someday I’ll have a Submariner or a Seamaster.

For now, this Seiko works just fine. Been running this about 5 years, no complaints. :thumb:

63AD5FF5-DB1D-4458-A601-69A9B8412E85.jpeg

Mockbel

Reaction score
Well I slipped in that hole few months ago... luxury watches.. I bought two in the past months.. started to list cheaper watches but no buyers till the moment..

Here are my top 3
D2E35FA8-46A9-41FA-9B85-589CEE6E6669.jpeg
873E9708-F6F3-4B8B-A63F-6A72E2FECD54.jpeg
58D746E9-1BCF-4AB3-BC9D-9444E70AFD72.jpeg

And this is the whole collection
47D6B732-3604-4F14-925F-E5853D996802.jpeg

Mockbel

Reaction score
Show yours if you want. :thumb:

Before this, I had a Swiss Military dive looking thing that was in a drawer since the mid '90s until I sold it a few months ago, and an Esq that was a gift 15 years ago from my mother-in-law that I said "thank you" and stuck in the same drawer right away. The funny thing is, I took them both out a few months ago to sell and the Esq is actually a women's watch. WTF? :laugh2: She said she didn't know and I gave it to my cousin who hoards cheaper watches.

I bought a pilot watch last month and have been absolutely infatuated with it from the moment I opened the box. It comes off for showers but that's it and I told my wife she can sleep in the other room if the bed isn't large enough for the three of us. :laugh2:

Laco Dortmund, 45mm diameter. There are many pilot watch brands out there but I gravitate towards Laco because they didn't modernize the watch like the rest. It's like comparing a Gibson R9 to a Les Paul Traditional. Traditionals are fine guitars but don't cut it if you want 50s specs.

Other companies contour the lugs, polish the case, add complications and power reserves. The originals weren't like that, so I don't want mine to be either. It's a lot like Les Pauls. There are much getter guitars out there ergonomically but we're all on MLP and assume we love Les Pauls including their flaws.

The only thing "wrong" about my watch, if you're a snob, is that it's not the correct 55mm size, but much like Gibson reissues, they gouge you for the 55mm replica. Mine was $1,350. Laco also sells 39mm and 42mm versions for $1,100 - $1,200, and then they bend you over for the 55mm replica, $4,190.

This is very stupid but I'm buying the 55mm in a few weeks as I've been obsessed with it for a good three weeks now and the GAS has been relentless. Relentless. Other people spend a lot more on watches and have huge collections, so I don't feel bad having two that and I don't care that they look the same because these are the only watches I like enough to buy, plus the 10mm difference will make them wear very differently. Well, I do like black and blue dial Rolex Cellinis but they are too small and wouldn't wear something that expensive.

I don't regret the Dortmund purchase at all and look forward to the day I hand it to my son (assuming he will want it). Being a Les Paul nut, I had his birthday engraved on the back in the Les Paul format, 9 0914, and will do the same to the 55mm.

45 and 55 mm
Too large for your wrist Tim !!

Latest Threads