I'm a veteran guitarist, however I've spent my share of loads of money on each guitar. Are the squier classic vibes decent guitars ?

C Squared

Reaction score
For the coin usually a great buy. A friend of mine has a few that I've set up, one dud out of five. If you can play it in person you'll know what your getting. The dud had some really bad fretwork and the bridge was mounted a hair off center

afireinside

Reaction score
Yes but find the older made in china not the newer Indonesian ones! The builds are nicer, they had Tonerider pickups stock and rosewood fretboards not laurel. I just sold one only because of the skinnier neck........ was a killer 60s strat weighed around 7lbs. Super resonate... Should have just put a allparts fat neck on it.... I had a 50s tele was heavy and had bad fretends (easy fix but not a tele guy so sold)
Screenshot_20211109-085249_Facebook.jpg

pondcaster

Reaction score
Yes but find the older made in china not the newer Indonesian ones! The builds are nicer, they had Tonerider pickups stock and rosewood fretboards not laurel. I just sold one only because of the skinnier neck........ was a killer 60s strat weighed around 7lbs. Super resonate... Should have just put a allparts fat neck on it.... I had a 50s tele was heavy and had bad fretends (easy fix but not a tele guy so sold) View attachment 570939

Nailed it!

I owned 4 back in 2010-2012, the CVC, CV BSB and VB teles and a 50s Strat. All were the early CIC ones and they were indeed flawless. Perfect fretwork. Perfect finishes. And as @afireinside said, the pickups were very nice. Mine were all light, too. The BSB actually had a one piece body. Head and shoulders over the Fender MIMs of that time period. Only possible "downside" was the necks were definitely pretty slim. Especially the CVC.

I picked one of the newer CVCs a few years ago and although still nice, wasn't up to the old ones. Find an early one, if at all possible.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great builds... The ICS# are built by Cor-Tek (Cort) I believe and they can build the stem winding hell out of guitars and basses.... I prefer the Indonesians (Cort). I have several and love em... FTR I have and can buy the big boys.... My Squiers hang with the big boys well.... One of my Squier natural maple/black bocks 70's Jazz has been on numerous studio projects. Eng will call and request it....... Stock except I put a high mass bridge and a ramp on it.... We call it the Freak Bass... He said it recorded better than any bass he's had in the studio... Had multiple basses in my shop with the players wanting me to make it play like my Freak Bass... A couple of Geddys included...

Yeah, the upper Squiers are fabulous guitars for those of us that do not suffer from mondo Decalititus.....

Jack Pearson likes the Squier Bullets and loves the cheaper pickups... Sounds more vintage.... I prever the CV and VM Squiers with nicer finishes...

refin

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've owned 3 CV strats (still have one)---all have been great.The first one was a '50s sunburst strat,and it's finish and tolerances were flawless.Also have the Jazzmaster and '50s P-Bass (tele style),great instruments for the money.

Reactions: ehb

rich85

Reaction score
Rubbish. The new Indonesian ones are just as good as the old ones, apart from Rosewood not being used nowadays. I have owned both examples and found the new 50’s Strat was so good I bought 2 of them. 1 piece maple neck. Usually 7 - 8 pound total weight with Pine body. Bone nut. Alnico pickups that all read approx 6k. I liked them but replaced them with Fender 65 and Seymour SSL1.
Alder is such a heavy wood it annoys me Fender use it on basically everything.

Attachments

• 5526D574-2600-4EAA-9302-ECB4C7484FAD.jpeg
    5526D574-2600-4EAA-9302-ECB4C7484FAD.jpeg
    643.6 KB · Views: 7

pondcaster

Reaction score
Gotta love guitar boards. Opinions will vary. One man's " just as good as the new ones" is another man's rubbish. Bwahaha!

Small sample size in my case but the MII one I played wasn't in the same league as the CIC ones I owned. Was more toward the Squier Std/affinity, to be honest.

Last edited:

rich85

Reaction score
Rubbish?

That's your opinion.

New ones are not near as nice as first runs. Not that close, really. And twice as much $$. Bwahaha.

That's my (and obviously others') opinion.

Cool story.
Here in Aus the price went from $799 down to $580 with the change to Indonesia and headstock decal.

Saying the old ones are “better” when the new ones are basically perfect simply makes no sense. The build quality of both is fantastic.

If you prefer the older ones, cool.

rich85

Reaction score
Gotta love guitar boards. Opinions will vary. One man's " just as good as the new ones" is another man's rubbish. Bwahaha!

Small sample size in my case but the MII one I played wasn't in the same league as the CIC ones I owned. Was more toward the Squier Std/affinity, to be honest.

So because you played......one......new model you make a blanket statement about them. Then when I call that statement rubbish you make fun of me.

Sorry for having played or owned many guitars of both versions and saying the build quality is the same.

Then you edit your post.

“gotta love guitar boards”

go away.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The CV are very good guitars. I;ve had a few, off and on over the years.

But, after getting a Sterling by Music Man, The Squier level to Ernie Ball Music Man, particularly the CT-50, also made in Cort Factory in Indonesia, I'd take the SBMM over the CV.

Reactions: ehb

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
News flash- ultimately guitars aren’t good or bad. It’s the (good) players that makes the difference. :cheers2::cheers::hippie:

Squire good! No argument here.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Cort makes the PRS SEs too...

If a Squier black label is good enough for Rothery, good enough for me... Seen Trewavas with a Cort bass, has a couple of Squiers, Ibanez, along with his cclubfoot headed high dollars....

Pearson plays several Squier black labels.... 'White Knob' Skrat is a Bullet Strat.... Played it on several big gigs including the big GA celebration with ABB and others before GA passed away.... Interesting interview about the $90 guitar (IIRC). Was to be a gift, played everything in the place low to high and chose that...dressed frets and put the white knob on it... Gift didn't work out for whomever so he kept it and plays it live... Said it was the best Strat in the place in the interview I read....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to sell Squiers in our shop.... Ordered some Bullet Strats.... Rx'd Indo built and a China built... In a matter of a couple of weeks, I had to go into my Fender screw drawers and replace every damn screw in the China Bullet.... ALL of em rusted... I found that interesting.... The Indos were so far above the Chinas of the same model... Not a damn thing else on anything in the shop had rusted.... Weird...

msalama

Reaction score
Won't enter the CIC-CII debate because I've never played an Indonesian one, but have to say that my 2018 CIC CV 50's Vintage Blonde Telecaster is still easily as good playing-wise as any Fender or Gibson I've ever owned, vintage or modern. It's my no. 1 go-to guitar and always will be, and when the time comes, it'll get new SS frets just as any hi-end guitar would because I'll never part with it. Yes, it IS that good!

msalama

Reaction score
an entry-level guitar

An entry-level guitar or not, the best are still as good as any Fenders I've ever played, although those may have had their H/W replaced with something better than stock. But still...

Latest Threads