I'll never be a shredder./NGD!!

Max Max

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wasn't really sure where to put this so the admins can move it if necessary.
I recently acquired a Gibson Les Paul Studio and after a set up and a bone nut install, it has without a doubt become my number one. I have another guitar pictured below, a Jackson Monarkh Pro. I have come to the realization that even though I love heavy metal, I'm never going to be one of those shred guitar players. I have a hard factory job so my hands are sore after work. Lately I've been playing classic rock tunes on my Les Paul and it's much less taxing on my already sore hands. So I've been thinking about either selling the Jackson and buying a Mexican Strat or some sort of hollow body or putting it up in the classifieds here and trying to trade for one. What do you guys think, am I making the right decision? Am I being overcome by GAS? I'm in my early 30's, is the dad rock already taking over?

Attachments

filtersweep

Reaction score
How much do you actually love shred metal in the first place? Most metal sub-genres today are more song focused. Plus, you have six strings on relatively short scale guitars.... which can be limiting.

Max Max

Reaction score
I actually have a very broad musical taste. I love old thrash metal but I also love the sound of blues slide guitar, bluegrass flat picking(which is as taxing as metal, I think) and classic rock. The Les Paul can do high gain metal, so that base is sort of covered. Hence why I'm thinking about getting rid of the Monarkh. It's Jackson's version of a LP and it's a fine instrument but now that I have the real thing, it seems redundant to own both.
I never loved the "quacky" tone of a strat but all of the ones I have played/owned have been the lowest of the low end Squires and other copies.

Steven

Reaction score
How much do you actually love shred metal in the first place? Most metal sub-genres today are more song focused. Plus, you have six strings on relatively short scale guitars.... which can be limiting.

I don't like it at all .

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They come and the go. Sometimes they come back. It's part of the journey. Enjoy the ride. For me, learning and experiencing everything out there is what enabled me to land where I am now.

I let some get away in the process, but there's always others. Now I don't think, I know what it is I like the best. Part of that final answer turned out to be a big surprise.

filtersweep

Reaction score
If you have no emotional attachment to it, let it go.

You can always buy another.

I had a superstrat with EMGs and a Floyd Pro. It was not specced with a Pro, but had one- and I hated it. I tried to like it— sold it— then found a better cheap Jackson a few years later after missing it.

Dilver

Reaction score
Whether or not you’re destined to be a shredder, if you find yourself not playing the Charvel, and it’s not some rare piece that you’ll regret selling later, move on and get something you’ll enjoy. Playing genres of music is less about the gear and more about the player. You can still shred on a Les Paul Studio if you worked at it.

Nintari

Reaction score
Not being a shredder is (in my opinion) a good thing. In all my life, I have never been emotionally moved by a piece of shredding. Not once. Yes, I can appreciate its skill and precision but that's where it ends. The players that I care about are the ones like Hendrix, Slash, SRV etc. The guys who know how to emote.

Steven

Reaction score
So Strat or Epiphone 335?

If you have diverse tastes in the music you play, I'd go with the epi 335, but a strat will do fine as well. I have both and I'm not selective about styles I play on either guitar. They are different sounding guitars but each covers a lot of ground.

Lungo

Reaction score
I turn 51 years old next month. I used to practice many hours a day just to be able to play somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 notes per second without breaking a sweat. I'll still never be a "shredder." Don't try to be anything, just try to have fun. Oh...some old guy advice for you: Don't sell a goddamn thing unless you think real hard about it first.

sparky2

Reaction score
I'm 61 and have always believed that we are genetically wired for a variety of musical talents.

I sing and harmonize really well with my bandmates.
I play rhythm guitar very nicely, and I fall into the pocket with the bass player and drummer with wonderful instinct.

As far as lead skills, I can learn most reasonable leads note for note, but I'm an inferior improviser.
It's just not in me genetically.

As far as playing lightning-fast leads and shredding?
Forget it.

It's never going to happen, and I'm okay with that.

:confused:

soliloquy

Reaction score
modern metal has progressed a lot in the 2010s and 2020s. Now, its more to do with groovy riffs moreso than solos.

a les paul is certainly capable of doing that. The Jackson, may as well get rid of it and get another les paul if you need it.

or if you want a modern guitars, with the versatility to do both metal and vintage style music, any of the recent charvels would do the trick. 24 frets, single coil neck picksup, come in strat and tele types.

Steven

Reaction score
The fastest guitar song to my recollection, that I ever played was "I'm going home", and that wasn't easy for me. Today, the notion of fast guitar playing left after middle-agedom left. These arthritic fingers do the best they can, at least I can still play with reasonable speed. I don't recall anyone aspiring to "shred' back in the day that I was of age for such a form to even be desireable. We called it a fast guitarist.

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
So Strat or Epiphone 335?
Shredding is about showing off.
It can be amusing, but telling a heartfelt story with fewer notes like Gilmour is an artform.

I know you've been leaning towards classic rock lately, but maybe keep the Jackson setup to another tuning for chugging down memory lane every once in while?

Having said all that, I'd go with the Strat in this one.
The 335 is an amazing guitar, but it won't be too far from what you can get with the Les Paul.

Last edited:

LuckyDan

Reaction score
That's a nice looking guitar! Hang on to it. Just because shredders like it doesn't mean YOU have to shred on it. Do what you want with it. Look at Ted Nugent and what he does with a jazz box. Look at the guys who play jazz on Teles. And you're a young man. You have several more stages ahead of you. Your tastes will expand as will your skill set.

Last edited:

revtime

Reaction score
I own shreddy guitars but no matter what guitar i pick up crunchy riffs and slow blues is what comes out. I didnt learn to play until i was 43. I am 52 now and am happy as a clam with what i can play.

Percy

Reaction score
I picked up the guitar to jam and have fun
I never thought about how to play the guitar
I saw how cool Elvis is so I learned some chords and jammed out
I just learned lately how to alternate pick and I find it boring and hard
I respect guitar players because I know how much time and effort goes into playing
Shredders are amazing but in my humble opinion it is not very musical [down-up as fast as you can]
My step son is an amazing guitar player , self taught and shreds fast but spend more time play video games than playing guitar
my favorite players are Yngwie Malmsteen and Ritchie Blackmore

Latest Threads