If you REALLY know your LP Juniors...read on

kevin_uk

Reaction score
Look very carefully at the photo. 1987 LP Junior re-issue...but I have never seen this configuration ever. The DC model like this with the scratch plate curving up towards the end of the neck usually only has x1 rear pickup and a single volume and tone. The pickup is always a dog ear design. On the twin pickup model with x2 pickups they are P90's recessed into the body. Not dog ear.
20200112_163246.jpg
Agreed? THIS guitar has x2 dog ear pickups with the neck pickup set into the scratch plate in a way I have never seen. Looking inside the control cavity it has been routed twice. Once for a normal LP x1 pickup version and then again at a different time to accommodate another x2 controls and make the model seen here. There are clear witness marks and a step in the wood where the router was set to a slightly different height. It's like there were body blanks originally destined for the usual configuration and then this was pulled and altered. Just want to know if anyone has ever seen a model like this? I've been looking 10+ years and so far never seen another. Just curious if it's an odd one off or something else.
20200112_163246.jpg

Goldtopper

Reaction score
That's definitely not stock. I can almost guarantee that the modifications were done after it left the factory. I'm 99.9999% certain.

It looks cool. I had a chance to buy one of those early 90's Doublecut Juniors in TV Yellow. I couldn't get with the bridge set up, though. I have a strong, strong preference for a wraptail.

kevin_uk

Reaction score
Yes you'd think it was an after sales job but I'm not sure. The back plate for the control cavity is perfect. It's exactly the right plastic. Where it sits and fits is again perfect with no sign of alteration. The finish is also exactly factory in terms of colour and type and has clearly been put on AFTER all the woodworking as there are small signs of overspray on the wood around the neck pickup cavity so it would not have been possible to do all the re-routing and it look the way it does unless it was re-sprayed. Well, I can't imagine it's possible but there you go. The plastic of the neck pickup is also exactly the same plastic as the scratch plate and it's the same plastic as other Jrn's I've looked at. Also the same plastic as the control cavity plate. I bought the guitar 2nd hand and at the time I knew nothing about Les Paul juniors and it was only years after the purchase I began to realise I'd never seen another like it. The mystery continues...

kevin_uk

Reaction score
received_3394206120700321.jpeg

The other interesting thing is that the screws in the neck pickup are exactly the same shape, size and material as the ones in the rear pickup. So if someone has fitted this front pickup and it's not a Gibson one then I've no idea where it has come from.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you taken out the pickups and looked at them? Do they appear to be factory Gibson? Does one of the pickups seem to be a different make/model than the other? I know pickups can be swapped, but maybe just something to check.

-Jay

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve seen double cuts with the dual dog ears on other brands, but not on a Gibson to my recollection. The cover is also something I’ve never seen done before by Gibson, but a competent luthier could do that kind of clean work with no problem. There are more examples of ham fisted mod work than pro, but some people do spend the money to get stuff done right.

On the other hand, Gibson was doing some cool stuff at that time, a good rule of thumb, especially in regard to older times, is there’s always a never and never an always when it comes to Gibson.

There was a great thread here, or maybe on another forum where a Gibson employee who worked in the early Henry J era, almost exclusively doing one off custom work posted a bunch of old pictures and talked about building a bunch of obscure, one off stuff. I have no idea where to even look for it, hopefully someone will see this and know, it could be a good resource.

LPJNoob

Reaction score
Wonder how it sounds w/the 2 pups and that configuration?

kevin_uk

Reaction score
It sounds very good indeed. I absolutely love the sound of the neck pickup which certainly is powerful but at the same time beautifully clean and woody when you roll down the volume control. Far, far better than the neck pickup on my regular LP Standard from the same era. Neither pickup gets muddy or loses tone wherever the pot is set to. Some guitars are just like that and I don't understand the reason myself. It's a superb guitar I've had for around 12 years and only in the last few years realised it seemed unique...well so far.

kevin_uk

Reaction score
I’ve seen double cuts with the dual dog ears on other brands, but not on a Gibson to my recollection. The cover is also something I’ve never seen done before by Gibson, but a competent luthier could do that kind of clean work with no problem. There are more examples of ham fisted mod work than pro, but some people do spend the money to get stuff done right.

On the other hand, Gibson was doing some cool stuff at that time, a good rule of thumb, especially in regard to older times, is there’s always a never and never an always when it comes to Gibson.

There was a great thread here, or maybe on another forum where a Gibson employee who worked in the early Henry J era, almost exclusively doing one off custom work posted a bunch of old pictures and talked about building a bunch of obscure, one off stuff. I have no idea where to even look for it, hopefully someone will see this and know, it could be a good resource.
Great story. I'm convinced the guitar came out of the factory the way it is now and if you had it your hands for inspection I think you'd say the same. But it is what it is, whatever the truth and that's all that matters. If it is a one off that's cool but I don't get too hung up on those things. It really does play and sound amazing and I have had and still have quite a few Gibson pieces that just don't do that. Some real dogs lol.

Goldtopper

Reaction score
View attachment 487560
It looks perfect like a factory job?
No offense- but that looks far from perfect. The placement of the plates- and the fact that they're cut so they wouldn't overlap- only solidifies my suspicions that it's aftermarket.

Can you take a photo under the control plates? The routing and paint could give more context.

(And honestly, what I think doesn't matter. It's your guitar, and if you love it- that's all that matters. Regardless of whether it's factory stock, and regardless if you *believe* it's factory stock. The only time that would have any bearing in reality is if you were trying to sell it.)

monstruo_loco

Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds odd, but... have you checked under the truss rod cover and is the truss rod functional?
Not too long ago I saw where a guy posted a story about a realistic looking “Chibson” he bought where the truss rod was what confirmed it wasn’t legitimate & where the rod was supposed to be was covered in epoxy.
Probably not, but just in case...

BADMAN67

Reaction score
Pickup covers look to be different. Bridge ones square and textured ,as they are on 87,certainly on mine. Neck appears more rounded ,smooth and glossy in the traditional style. I've actually had my 87 S.C out today and an considering seeing if I can change the sqare Matt textured original cover for a more vintage looking one

Last edited:

bum

Reaction score
The pics are pretty useless.
Need exactly the opposite of the pics provided really, like under truss rod cover, cavities, headstock, serial number.

truckermde

Reaction score
Well, that's an interesting guitar, for sure.

As mentioned upthread, different pictures would help clarify things for us, a bit.

While I've never seen another one exactly like that, I DO know that Gibson has done different levels of custom-order work at different times.

It also seems that Gibson employees may have been given differing levels of leeway to build for themselves, at different times in the company.

It would be neat to establish some provenance here, and find out who did what, when...

BADMAN67

Reaction score
It's modded. Pickup covers totally different. Rear routing clearly standard rear pots and switch control cover ,which looks cool, but not the Special route and covers Gibson would of surely done. Scatch plate far too close to knob to be factory? Not a bad thing if that's what someone in the pass wanted. It's well done but doubt its factory. Cool variation that someone's come up with.

smk506

Reaction score
Well, that's an interesting guitar, for sure.

As mentioned upthread, different pictures would help clarify things for us, a bit.

While I've never seen another one exactly like that, I DO know that Gibson has done different levels of custom-order work at different times.

It also seems that Gibson employees may have been given differing levels of leeway to build for themselves, at different times in the company.

It would be neat to establish some provenance here, and find out who did what, when...
I’m leaning towards not factory original, but well done mod work by someone competent. Especially in a time when guitars were frequently getting modded with chisels and jigsaws etc...

But yeah, given the era anythings possible.

CB91710

Reaction score
It's modded. Pickup covers totally different. Rear routing clearly standard rear pots and switch control cover ,which looks cool, but not the Special route and covers Gibson would of surely done. Scatch plate far too close to knob to be factory? Not a bad thing if that's what someone in the pass wanted. It's well done but doubt its factory. Cool variation that someone's come up with.
Agreed. With that control arrangement, I would expect to see a rear cover plate like the "kidney bean" shape on the SG, rather than regular LP plates fitted together like that.

Latest Threads