If you had to pick three guitars to do "everything" which ones would you pick?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the basics. :dude:

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obvious answer:

LP
Strat

From personal experience:

Custom 22
Jem

In the future:

DSG Apache
Custom 22
Whatever Lt Dave dreams up next.

sparky2

Reaction score
all three.JPG

KStopper65

Reaction score
Les Paul with PAFs
Strat with SSH Pickups
Flying V with Floyd Rose
I'd prob like a 7 string, but thats not happening

Reactions: Who

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
just 3 guitars for all possible sounds? My non-luddite sense tells me only need one: Line6 Shuriken S250

in the spirit of the thread

Gibson Les Paul - Minihumbucker neck, Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge Pickup
Fender Telecaster Custom - WR humbucker neck, tele bridge pickup
Gretsch Silver Falcon - dearmond pickup neck, filter'tron bridge

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Brian Moore C90p
Telecaster
Larrivee L3-E
(sorry to my LP)

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One and two will always be DSG003 by @LtDave32 and my Tokai ES162
36D94C8E-DBED-4659-A4E7-AFD2D7470709.jpeg

Currently number three is my Epi ‘59, which is far exceeding my expectations.
EB6A3AD5-068E-4C5A-9410-5F200180C94C.jpeg

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I cover a lot of tones with my home built Strat that uses a mid boost PCB out of the Clapton model: Leave it off and it sounds like a regular Strat. Turn it up and it fattens the sound up becoming more humbucker like.

Of course given the constraints of this thread I'd add my 60s Tribute GT with P90s and either my Epiphone LP with Bareknuckle Mules or my SG Standard.

Even so I usually take just one guitar to rehearsals and play the whole set, just using a few tweaks on the amp or perhaps layering different pedals to get 'close enough the audience won't care'. :)

Buffalo

Reaction score
Rock, Metal, jazz, blues, country and what ever else.......................

if you had to pick three guitars to cover all styles of playing which guitar models would you pick??
I forgot to add this would be electric guitars ( acoustic guitars are a whole nother topic )
Tele SS, Les Paul HH, Duesenberg Starplayer TV (Semihollow with a p90 at the neck and a humbucker on the bridge)

jbash

Reaction score
Les Paul Standard w/ standard humbuckers
Les Paul Standard with minis
EDS 1275

Almost went with a Tele, but I can do what I need with the minis.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
It is fun to chase tone by buying a bunch of guitars. I have fallen into this myself in the past. But finally, I have found amps that allow me to get the tones I want from all my guitars — or I can make them all sound the same. Actually, it’s more in the amp (plus a few FX) than in the guitar itself.

Veronica1965

Reaction score
Rock, Metal, jazz, blues, country and what ever else.......................

if you had to pick three guitars to cover all styles of playing which guitar models would you pick??
I forgot to add this would be electric guitars ( acoustic guitars are a whole nother topic )
Tough question, but a good one. My music wanders from jazz to psychedelic to punk/industrial. I think my three would have to be my custom Squier Strat which has a Hofner-style mini-humbucker with coil tap at the bridge. a Les Paul with a PAF at the neck and a P-90 at the bridge, and maybe a four-pickup Teisco, hopefully with good frets. That would probably get me most of the sounds I need.

SnakeJake

Reaction score
It is fun to chase tone by buying a bunch of guitars. I have fallen into this myself in the past. But finally, I have found amps that allow me to get the tones I want from all my guitars — or I can make them all sound the same. Actually, it’s more in the amp (plus a few FX) than in the guitar itself.

SnakeJake

Reaction score
I agree 100%. Put $ 3000 LP on a cheap plain Jane amp it sounds plainjane. But be take that same guitar and plug to say... a Fender Gdec modeling amp and it's like night and day. I have been useing this very amp since first introduced. It's the 15 ..not the thirty. I have an MA100 and without FX it's plain. Put the pedal to the metal and now your talking. All guitars do basically the same same thing. Some better and easier then others but still need a great amp and pedals to complete the marriage.

Cory

Reaction score
Getting to choose 3 seems too easy - if given the choice to cover basically all genres of music with 3 different guitars, most would say a LP, tele & strat.

The more thought provoking question is if I could only have 1 guitar to cover as much ground as possible, hands down would be my ES-335 ‘59 reissue - extremely versatile - can sound so soft / mellow / airy with clean & low gain tones, but hit it with enough gain it basically morphs into a LP - doesn’t hurt that 335’s are the best looking guitars around too (in my humble opinion).

To take it even a step further - I’d say pickups are probably a bigger factor than actual guitars in regards to the original question.

…and since we are on a Les Paul forum - my 2nd pic would definitely be a LP ;)

strat714

Reaction score
Godin LGXT for piezo and synth sounds
Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe.
Gibson Lifeson Les Paul.

Of course I would want to keep all of my other guitars.

GermHerm

Reaction score
Gibson LP Skinnerburst
Fender Stratocaster American Standard
ES-335 '64

Latest Threads