If you had to pick only one position ....

Which would it be?

• Neck

• Middle

• Bridge

• Hey buddy...that's kinda personal

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red Planet

Reaction score
For my Broadcaster with neck Lollar Charlie Christian pickup its neck only all the time. On my Epiphone ES-175 I use the neck dimed for solos, bridge turned down, and tone rolled back for rythem tones. For my Les Paul Special it sounds good in all positions. Waiting to get my Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s paid off to explore it.

pblanton

Reaction score
I deleted my answer because after thinking about it, I am wrong as I often am. :confused:

80smetalhead

Reaction score
What’s a neck pickup? I thought that thing up there was for purely decorative purposes. ;)

zdoggie

Reaction score
I like both but here of late last 5 years i've favored the neck

zdog

zdoggie

Reaction score
for the past five years or so i've favored the neck

zdog

captdan61

Reaction score
Bridge. I'm probably there 80% of the time anyway.
You can use the tone control to roll off treble to make the bridge warmer/muddier if it's all you have. You can't add in treble to the neck that is simply not there when the tone is already maxed.

For me, middle position is useless. I'd prefer a two position switch so there isn't a chance of landing there by accident.
69 ...I mean neck on a les paul or ES guitar or archtop. And Bridge on a Esquire or Telecaster.

martin H

Reaction score
Bridge. I'm probably there 80% of the time anyway.
You can use the tone control to roll off treble to make the bridge warmer/muddier if it's all you have. You can't add in treble to the neck that is simply not there when the tone is already maxed.

For me, middle position is useless. I'd prefer a two position switch so there isn't a chance of landing there by accident.
I'm curious what pickups the folks who get more "treble" in the bridge position are using. My 72 has 490s in it, and I would not describe the bridge pickup as having "more treble" that the neck . On mine, the neck has more top and bottom, while the bridge has more midrange. Maybe its just a diffent view of what "treble" is?

dasherf17

Reaction score
I've "traditionally been a bridge pickup player, live...when I had a Strat (gawd I got embarrassed talking about that here) I ran the ax in #2 position.
I've been experimenting with middle on my Gibsons, adjusting for taste...used it a the neighbor's parties an' likin' it!!

Last edited:

DaveSG

Reaction score
Normally, I would always would say bridge...I've played SGs for years, and the bridge is where I've always played to get that snarly bit the SG has. But the LP has opened up a new world to me, one in which the neck position is just as, and, dare I say, sometimes more useful than the bridge. I'm actually really impressed that I find myself wanting to flip the neck more than ever, as I think that is the sign of a great guitar, or a great pickup.

Overture

Reaction score
Bridge all day. I almost NEVER use the neck pickup by itself, usually both with the neck volume rolled back to about 8 for some leads otherwise it's 100% bridge. But to be fair I land squarely in the realm of 80's Metal and most of my time is spent working on lead stuff or heavy rhythm.

tygr1

Reaction score
I'll admit I'm just a lifelong home/hobby player.

I use the neck and middle for wanking and blues at times, But I have to say, when it's time to cut through the backing tracks or play rock n' roll, it's the bridge for me too.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always played Euchre because I didn't know how to play Bridge.

Latest Threads