If you had to pick only one position ....

Which would it be?

• Neck

• Middle

• Bridge

• Hey buddy...that's kinda personal

Results are only viewable after voting.

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That doesn't work on a two pot guitar (Tele, eg.) unless you install stacked pots and custom knobs.

Neck pickups are for those who aren't afraid to step away from the beloved but electrically weak bridge pickup

True it's a Gibson thing mostly i guess.

mdubya

Reaction score
You can lower the neck (or other) pickup on a Strat or Tele to get the kill switch effect. :naughty:

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
bridge. If not, then you are officially Afraid To Rock

btw this is Les Pauls we're talking about. Not teles or strats or jazz basses

grumphh

Reaction score
Worth as much as your opinion, bud. A Tele bridge pickup is over the top bright, the neck pickup has soul.
But that's my equally worthless opinion.
That's why they made the esquire with a NECK PICKUP ONLY!

..oh wait...

Standard

Reaction score
Depends on the situation, to me if you need to play a rhythm part and cut through the mix a bit then bridge pickup. If it's a solo then neck pickup, which I know seems counter intuitive but it fattens up the tone and really sings instead of being shrill and harsh.

That's what I prefer anyway.

Standard

Reaction score
That's why they made the esquire with a NECK PICKUP ONLY!

..oh wait...
You're right, it was bridge only. Then they improved it by adding a neck pickup. Your argument would only work if they started with both and the removed the neck pickup. Nice attempt at being a dick though.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I don't prefer one over any other switch position because I play several,genres of music from Jazz, chord-melody, Raggae styles, Latin styles, and some Classic Rock. All 3 switch positions seem to work well for me. I don't play my Strats these days and prefer the Lester over them.

If I were forced to use one position, it would be the middle, though.

Clasicplayer

grumphh

Reaction score
You're right, it was bridge only. Then they improved it by adding a neck pickup. Your argument would only work if they started with both and the removed the neck pickup. Nice attempt at being a dick though.
You mean that neck pickup country sound that made the Tele famous?

...oh, wait...

Look, you "neck position guys" just need to get over that decade when internet forum consensus was, that in order to have "good tone" you just had to make your amp as spikey and shrill as it could be and then use the neck pickup and your tone control - which was necessary to avoid that toothache inducing trebly excuse for a tone pa subset of forumites claimed to dial in at home...

Standard

Reaction score
You mean that neck pickup country sound that made the Tele famous?

...oh, wait...

Look, you "neck position guys" just need to get over that decade when internet forum consensus was, that in order to have "good tone" you just had to make your amp as spikey and shrill as it could be and then use the neck pickup and your tone control - which was necessary to avoid that toothache inducing trebly excuse for a tone pa subset of forumites claimed to dial in at home...
And you need to chill the fuck out.

I like what I like, it works for me. If you want to sound like a kazoo with reverb that's your business.

Matopotato

Reaction score
LP: bridge
Strat: neck or neck+middle
Not by conscious selection every time. I just end up there.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
The middle position of my Les Paul 90% of the time playing both rhythm and lead. Occasionally when I need the bump I'll throw it in the bridge or neck position.

amgomez

Reaction score
100% the bridge. Like someone else stated, you can’t add higher frequencies. You can pick near the bridge, but it still doesn’t sound quite like a bridge pickup, more like a thin neck pickup. If you pick by the neck though, it almost sounds like you’re using the neck pickup. One of my dream guitars, that one day I’ll order from Gibson custom. Black custom, with one gold pickup, gold hardware, and a natural back.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I think that was for the "personal" choice

Last edited:

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Reverse cowgirl is always a good view but I'd say doggy.
Ooooh I see, guitars.

Cory

Reaction score
I will switch to the middle or neck when just noodling around, but when it comes time to rock, it’s all bridge for me.

As others have stated, if I could only choose one in general it would be the bridge position - you can mess with the volume/tone knobs to get you somewhat into middle/neck territory - but you can’t do the reverse of that with the other positions.

The Les Paul is a rock & roll machine, I don’t see how anyone could live the rest of their lives in only the middle or neck position and get the full potential out of their LP:dunno:

pblanton

Reaction score
Bridge for sure, though I do like all positions - insert sexual innuendo here.

In fact, I have been GASsing for one of these...

download.jpg

Now that's making a commitment to the bridge position instead of just talking smack.

I'd like it better if it had a regular humbucker instead of the dog-eared P90 so I could try some different pickups. A coil split switch in one of the pots would be cool too.

What I'd really like is a version that has a humbucker with coil split capabilities, a piezo bridge and three way switch to choose between them. Some flamey options would be nice too; but I think that all of that is missing the point of the simplicity of a single-pickup guitar; I just cannot turn off my modding mind.

Latest Threads