If you had to pick only one position ....

Which would it be?

• Neck

• Middle

• Bridge

• Hey buddy...that's kinda personal

Results are only viewable after voting.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I have five Juniors. The decision is usually nondescript. That said, I do enjoy some neck-pup action occasionally.

-Plus, I like the word "nondescript".
Do you find rolling off the tone scratches the itch when you want a neck pickup sound?

As per the poll, I choose middle. All day, every day.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I learned to use the neck later in my playing life
so I guess that on usage I should choose bridge.

gball

Reaction score
If it was only one it would have to be middle for sure. I already spend most of my time that way anyhow.

MiniB

Reaction score
In the middle position, especially with 50's wiring, you can blend in more or less of each pickup to get much of what you would with either alone, with some interesting character added. For example, my favorite 'lead' setting is with bridge pickup volume up and neck rolled back, for a 'fat lead'. So for me, middle.

endial

Reaction score
Do you find rolling off the tone scratches the itch when you want a neck pickup sound?

As per the poll, I choose middle. All day, every day.
Not really. Just a more bassy-mid-rangey tone. You can really get some meat out of a p-90 on 9 vol and the tone on 4. Big, bloody, thick steaky meat. Frickin' juicy and delicious, dripping with fatness. Yep.

palmerfralick

Reaction score
In the middle position, especially with 50's wiring, you can blend in more or less of each pickup to get much of what you would with either alone, with some interesting character added. For example, my favorite 'lead' setting is with bridge pickup volume up and neck rolled back, for a 'fat lead'. So for me, middle.

exactly with 50's wiring you don't really need a pickup selector as you can do the same thing by adjusting volume levels.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Not really. Just a more bassy-mid-rangey tone. You can really get some meat out of a p-90 on 9 vol and the tone on 4. Big, bloody, thick steaky meat. Frickin' juicy and delicious, dripping with fatness. Yep.
This is true.

I took your advice by the way and dropped a 250k tone pot in the used Junior I picked up a few weeks back. I'm much happier with that than the 500k I had in it. Thanks for the advice!

MiniB

Reaction score
exactly with 50's wiring you don't really need a pickup selector as you can do the same thing by adjusting volume levels.
I've had guitars with 60's wiring where it really is like independent volumes, whereas with 50's the whole thing will 'shut off' if just one of the volumes is turned all the way down. But...the blended tones aren't as interesting or as easy to get to with less turning like it is with 50's wiring.

LP1865

Reaction score
My playing style almost always needs the bridge pickup

GT40

Reaction score
Bridge. I'm probably there 80% of the time anyway.
You can use the tone control to roll off treble to make the bridge warmer/muddier if it's all you have. You can't add in treble to the neck that is simply not there when the tone is already maxed.

For me, middle position is useless. I'd prefer a two position switch so there isn't a chance of landing there by accident.

Last edited:

Latest Threads